What's new

Is this a real straight razor?

I saw this today and was wondering, is it real or is it something someone made in they're garage? Either way, it looks pretty crude.

Screenshot_20190131-213540_Gallery.jpg

blade looks real enough, but I can't see a tail on it. plenty of Sheffield wedges got homemade scales whittled by owners over the ages to replace broken originals, and nails used for pins.

yes, it is, and does look crude, but I bet it hones up just fine.

It looks like the blade is made backwards, though it's hard to tell with a picture :) the sharp part looks like where the spine would be

I've seen a couple of these on the bay for sale. They called some straight razors, others lancets or surgical instruments. No matter what they called them, they all said civil war era.

Even if the metal is good enough to hold an edge, that thing would be very difficult to hone considering the width of the blade versus its thickness.

I don't know, maybe it is somewhat real even though it's a lot different than a straight razor. The handle looks like a dowel rod and it doesn't have a tang. When you open it, it kind of locks into place at the hinge. The link that @global_dev provided looks like it and I would more tend to believe that it was Chinese than Civil war era.

Legion

Staff member
They are all over ebay marketed as antique Chinese razors. I have always been skeptical if them, but never owned one. I'd pass.

I found an antique Chinese razor that works,
After Razor Honing, both test and SOTD shaves are smooth and comfortable.

2.jpg

273810620_4828164697297385_3957563938293620519_n.jpg

Internet pictures, be careful of this razor made in India "modern production", the wooden handle has a shape at the tail, heat treatment and production are not necessarily in razor condition.
265948049_4587457544701436_4455263416088243451_n.jpg

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Those are "head shavers" from Qing era, anywhere from the 1600's to early 1900's. I'd guess thay were used for beard shaving as well.

More of a de rigueur than a style choice. Think of it like Biden decree's that the flat top is back on, and if you don't sport it he will send the secret service to cut it for you.

Read up "Queue" on Wikipedia if you want more.

I've had one years ago and couldn't get a good edge. Tseng's look promising.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Those are "head shavers" from Qing era, anywhere from the 1600's to early 1900's. I'd guess thay were used for beard shaving as well.

More of a de rigueur than a style choice. Think of it like Biden decree's that the flat top is back on, and if you don't sport it he will send the secret service to cut it for you.

Read up "Queue" on Wikipedia if you want more.

I've had one years ago and couldn't get a good edge. Tseng's look promising.

Thank you, at that time there was a problem of industrial development, and the quality was not certain. When I was looking for it, I would consider whether the forging was neat or not. However, many new razors made in modern India and Pakistan on the market should be careful.

There are so many good old and new straight razors of every size sold for reasonable prices so why go for something that looks like it is made in someone's backyard by a child who only have had the concept of a straight razor described to him?

Then again it is up to each and everyone to decide how spend their money.

Top Bottom