What's new

Is this a Gillette Tuckaway or Somerset?

Hello there! Hope you guys are doing well! I just got this Gillette razor and I'm having a difficult time identifying this set.
Just like my last thread on which I posted a Bostonian/South American Goodwill with a rare "43" logo on its case, this one
has the same numbers:

20200116_232524.jpg

20200116_232620.jpg
20200116_232647.jpg

So my question is: is this a Tuckaway or Somerset kit? or what is it?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20200116_232741.jpg
    20200116_232741.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 17
R

romsitsa

Hello, I’m not sure these sets have a name/were identified by collectors.
It’s not a Tuckaway or Sommerset those being New Improved sets.
The New era had the Norfolk, but I think Norfolks carried New deluxe razors.

Adam

R

romsitsa

New Norfolk and New Sommerset sets had the NEW SC head.

There are a few problems with this.
The New improved range had the Tuckaway, Sommerset and Chesterfield, the later two were discounted somewhen before 1929.
There is no mention of a Somerset in the New era, the only Tuckaway style set after 1930 is the Norfolk, but this came only with Deluxe heads.
What could have happened is that Gillette paired remaining cases with New razor heads and cut down common bar handles at some point, but how these sets were named is a mistery.

For eg. this Somerset is a New improved Somerset case with a New liner and razor, but the name is nowhere present, so I wouldn't call it a Somerset.

This Somerset is a New improved Somerset case with a New razor.

This set also looks like a New improved case with a New razor, but that design on the lid is not matching Tuckaway, Sommerset, Chesterfield or Norfolk designs, so it's something "else".

Adam

R

romsitsa

Correction, just found an 1940 Gillette product sheet with Deluxe sets. The Criterion, Belmont and Cruiser are listed as having a Deluxe razor, while the Norfolk is only listed with a gold plated razor.
So if it's not a simple typo, then "late" Norfolk sets could came in any Tuckaway style gold plated case with any (fitting) gold plated New razor.

Adam

Top Bottom