What's new

Is there anyone who uses Arko exclusively?

I think that for a lot of people, shaving is a hobby and people are always look for new and cool things to make it fun. Thats why you see people having many different kinds of razors, blades, brushes, soaps and aftershaves.
I think that Im probably in the minority where I pick a soap in my collection and use it until its gone, then pick another.
So, if shaving is a hobby for you, maybe you arent looking at whats the cheapest and instead look at things like scent, performance or post shave feel or just price/exclusivity.
I own Arko, use it, like it and when my supply of artisan soaps is gone, Im probably only going to use the more value options, such are Arko, Tabac, Cella, Speick or La Toja simply because I dont feel like the artisan offerings are any better. Since Ive gotten into shavettes, Ive come to realize that great shaves can be had for pennies and that more expensive doesnt mean a better result.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think that for a lot of people, shaving is a hobby and people are always look for new and cool things to make it fun. Thats why you see people having many different kinds of razors, blades, brushes, soaps and aftershaves.
I think that Im probably in the minority where I pick a soap in my collection and use it until its gone, then pick another.
So, if shaving is a hobby for you, maybe you arent looking at whats the cheapest and instead look at things like scent, performance or post shave feel or just price/exclusivity.
I own Arko, use it, like it and when my supply of artisan soaps is gone, Im probably only going to use the more value options, such are Arko, Tabac, Cella, Speick or La Toja simply because I dont feel like the artisan offerings are any better. Since Ive gotten into shavettes, Ive come to realize that great shaves can be had for pennies and that more expensive doesnt mean a better result.
Smart man.

Yes, Arko thread no. 372578.

Is there anyone? If so, I have an honest question for you.

Why don't you post daily that this is the only soap you actually need for a great shave? I mean new posts and threads every day, why don't you spam every soap thread? [emoji1][emoji39]

I have this soap in my den since 2012 I think, but only lately started to truly appreciate it. Really, it feels awkward when you compare it to premium soaps because they perform alike. I even like the scent a lot. If you like the scent and care about the result more than the journey, the hype etc., why do you use other soaps? I stopped caring about the "journey" a long time ago, I only want good and close shaves. This soap gives amazing shaves. Don't be a snob!

There were times I used the Arko and a vintage Schick or a Rockwell 6S and I enjoyed my shaves more than when I used my Wolfmans and premium soaps. The answer to great shaves is definitely not the expensive equipment.

Big Arko fan here.

I think the artisan market may eventually destroy the truly top tier soaps that have been around for 50 years or more by spreading the money so thinly that few can stay in business. It may also destroy itself for the same reason.

The survival of brick and mortar stores is dependent on product loyalty. Shelf space and inventory to cater to those who are enticed by many choices is expensive. So is sourcing from many suppliers.

In my opinion, adding to existing threads, such as the Cult of Arko thread is more effective than starting new threads. This way you will attract people who are watching these threads as well as those who look for new posts.

Perhaps, you are ready to become a Minimalist with an ultimate goal of one razor, one blade, one brush, and one soap.

Smart man.
I have my moments. Ive come to realize how powerful marketing and branding are. Its the same for me in golf too. I used to buy all name brand gear but have come to realize that I can play just as good with the cheap, no-name stuff and not spending nearly as much money on gear.

Wetshaving isn't my hobby and it's a 15 minutes business. It's just that my wife has a mania with "order" (as well with decoration) in the house... Not that she was crazy about some of my true hobbies...

Just one of the reasons I call her War Department.

I will have to check my wife's family tree. There might have been a relative immigrated to the US in the start of the previous century... :001_302:

So... I may have bought a case of 12 Arko off amazon because why buy 2 when you can buy 12 for under $12 right?!? Opened one up tore it in two and smashed it in my OS mug. I should note I have hard water and even so I had copious amounts of beautiful lather being whipped up in my shave bowl. I noticed the lemon scent at this point but when I started to paint it on my face.... well it didn't stay on long enough to meet a razor.

I've heard people bash soap scents and I've never met one that I just flat out hated ... until Arko (I even love Tabac). It's totally subjective and I can see why someone sing it's praises especially at it's price point. But what a polarizing scent. And now I have 11 sticks under my sink. A PIF may be in order. Any Akro loving takers?
+1
EXACTLY my experience with Arko also...
I ordered 12ea and am stuck with 11,99

FarmerTan

+1
I would shower with Arko if I had more than the one and a half sticks I was PIFFED! I have it on high authority that the Vikings bathed in it before moving on to Valhalla. Of course I am dyslexic, so maybe my authority was high when he told me that...

So... I may have bought a case of 12 Arko off amazon because why buy 2 when you can buy 12 for under $12 right?!? Opened one up tore it in two and smashed it in my OS mug. I should note I have hard water and even so I had copious amounts of beautiful lather being whipped up in my shave bowl. I noticed the lemon scent at this point but when I started to paint it on my face.... well it didn't stay on long enough to meet a razor.

I've heard people bash soap scents and I've never met one that I just flat out hated ... until Arko (I even love Tabac). It's totally subjective and I can see why someone sing it's praises especially at it's price point. But what a polarizing scent. And now I have 11 sticks under my sink. A PIF may be in order. Any Akro loving takers?

+1
This is a real boon to those of us who like the soap. You think that you got a good deal buying twelve sticks, and we end up getting it for free!:001_tt2:

I would shower with Arko if I had more than the one and a half sticks I was PIFFED! I have it on high authority that the Vikings bathed in it before moving on to Valhalla. Of course I am dyslexic, so maybe my authority was high when he told me that...
An old Scandinavian legend mentions those vikings who used Arko before moving on to Valhalla and that they upon arrival would immediately be assigned latrine duty, since they already had that appropriate bouquet of toilet cleaner around them.

FarmerTan

An old Scandinavian legend mentions those vikings who used Arko before moving on to Valhalla and that they upon arrival would immediately be assigned latrine duty, since they already had that appropriate bouquet of toilet cleaner around them.
Revisionist history!!!!

Arko smells exactly the same as old laundry soap from my childhood that my grandmother used for soaking grandad's clothers and rags that got stains from machine grease and motor oil. I love the scent. My brushes smell like fresh laundry after shaving with Arko.

Arko smells exactly the same as old laundry soap from my childhood that my grandmother used for soaking grandad's clothers and rags that got stains from machine grease and motor oil. I love the scent. My brushes smell like fresh laundry after shaving with Arko.
I can totally appreciate that feeling, naughtilus!
-Palmolive stick does the same for my brush when I use that, since it then smells like the soap I used as a baby, when I crawled down to the creek to wash my own diapers.
Sure brings back memories!
:001_302:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I place a high emphasis on slick over other qualities, so Arko is right up there for me. Williams, and Palmolive are great too. They are all huge bang for the buck soaps.

I'm just curious if any of you grew up during the great depression. I've heard that people who experienced that time of economic hardship sometimes developed very frugal habits. Could explain why some people like Arko so much.

I'm just curious if any of you grew up during the great depression. I've heard that people who experienced that time of economic hardship sometimes developed very frugal habits. Could explain why some people like Arko so much.

I'm 35 and paid $33 for a Simpson Wee Scot (it's the size of a nail polish applicator). I can buy a palette of MdC today if I wanted to. I still like Arko.

I can totally appreciate that feeling, naughtilus!
-Palmolive stick does the same for my brush when I use that, since it then smells like the soap I used as a baby, when I crawled down to the creek to wash my own diapers.
Sure brings back memories!
:001_302:

Today kids eat Tide pods.
Between 2012 and 2013, poison control centers reported over 7,000 cases of young children eating laundry pods, and ingestion of Procter & Gamble laundry pods had resulted in six deaths by 2017.

Top Bottom