What's new

Is there a sense for me in buying a Carbon Shaving Cx-316L?

I agree fully.
The Era head design looks great. How is the blade bend on it?

Also, which era plate are you using and how does it compare to the overlander?
The Era doesn't have a lot of bend, but it makes up for it by the equal top and bottom clamping out to the very edge, on top of the already tiny blade reveal.

I have used Lvl3 and 4 SB. I'm currently waiting for my Lvl5 to arrive, even though 4 feels perfect to me.

Era vs Overlander: for me the Era is the better razor, easily, for the following reasons:
- the Era blade feels even stiffer, despite the Overlander's blade control being top notch
- much better efficiency for me even with Lvl4
- less drag
- more nimble head

The only pro of the Overlander, for me, is the much superior fit and finish. The Era lacks a bit in the tolerances, though according to Shane it's something that has been addressed (I bought the very first batch that was released).

I'm not mentioning SS vs brass, as that is completely subjective.

Overall the Overlander was very underwhelming for me, which I have posted about in my journal (here, here).

Reactions: nav
The Era doesn't have a lot of bend, but it makes up for it by the equal top and bottom clamping out to the very edge, on top of the already tiny blade reveal.

I have used Lvl3 and 4 SB. I'm currently waiting for my Lvl5 to arrive, even though 4 feels perfect to me.

Era vs Overlander: for me the Era is the better razor, easily, for the following reasons:
- the Era blade feels even stiffer, despite the Overlander's blade control being top notch
- much better efficiency for me even with Lvl4
- less drag
- more nimble head

The only pro of the Overlander, for me, is the much superior fit and finish. The Era lacks a bit in the tolerances, though according to Shane it's something that has been addressed (I bought the very first batch that was released).

I'm not mentioning SS vs brass, as that is completely subjective.

Overall the Overlander was very underwhelming for me, which I have posted about in my journal (here, here).

Great comparison, thank you!
I guess I should put the era on my wishlist!

The blackbird is currently my #1 razor!

Great comparison, thank you!
I guess I should put the era on my wishlist!

The blackbird is currently my #1 razor!
Based on most comments I've read from BB users, even the Lvl5 might be too mild/not enough efficient for you if you like the BB :)
(Though I have read one single comment saying that the Lvl5 was a direct match for his BB)
I'm pretty sure the Lvl5 doesn't have anywhere near the blade feel of the BB though (haven't tried the BB so I can't tell).

Regardless, the Era is underhyped IMO, solely because of that extremely stiff blade edge. As I wrote in my first Era report, Shane himself said that with the Era the stated goal was to provide the stiffest possible blade edge. When you load a blade and inspect the razor, you can't see how one could do any better than what he/they designed.

Based on most comments I've read from BB users, even the Lvl5 might be too mild/not enough efficient for you if you like the BB :)
(Though I have read one single comment saying that the Lvl5 was a direct match for his BB)
I'm pretty sure the Lvl5 doesn't have anywhere near the blade feel of the BB though (haven't tried the BB so I can't tell).

Regardless, the Era is underhyped IMO, solely because of that extremely stiff blade edge. As I wrote in my first Era report, Shane himself said that with the Era the stated goal was to provide the stiffest possible blade edge. When you load a blade and inspect the razor, you can't see how one could do any better than what he/they designed.
I have both the Blackbird SB & OC and the ERA Lvl5 SB & OC. For me the ERA isn’t even close to the Blackbird when it comes to efficiency.

Top Bottom