What's new

Is there a sense for me in buying a Carbon Shaving Cx-316L?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I've been pondering about the Carbon Shaving Cx-316L with .88mm base plate. It looks like a quality razor, made in the USA. I like the design of the head too.

But, I already have a lot of other razors: Blackland Blackbird, Karve (with 5 baseplates), Rockwell 6S, Rocnel Elite 2019 Medium Aggressive, Russian CTAPT razor (with two baseplates), GameChanger .68 and .84, Rex Envoy, etc', and a few good adjustables. Not mentioning the vintage razors.

The Carbon Shaving Cx-316L costs 249$, which is expensive, so what do you think? Will it add something significant to my den, or perhaps it's just not worth it?

Thanks guys

I have one with all of the current plates. I was skeptical at first as well. However, you get what you pay for with this razor. Is it as good as the 6S? Almost, but not quite. I love mine. I put it up there with the Blackbird, GameChanger, Outlaw, and all my other SS/Bronze/Copper/Brass razors.

Take what I am telling you with a grain of salt. My goal is to collect every single modern razor out there. At least one from every company. I can drop money for this without pain, but doesn't mean others can or should. If it was years ago when I was younger I would buy the 6S and leave it there.

If you want one, can afford it, why not? If it isn't what you thought it was you can always resell it. But you'll always wonder "what if" if you let it go. Remember, if you can't afford 5 of them you can't afford 1.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Lately, for me, this kind of question comes down to the quality of the shaves I'm able to get currently. If I am able to get consistently good or better shaves, then there's no point in spending the money.

Last edited:
But you'll always wonder "what if" if you let it go. Remember, if you can't afford 5 of them you can't afford 1.
I really like that quote...hence I received my used Karve Brass recently and soon to receive the FOCS...well, those I can afford anyway. Similar to quite a few vintages I have...so no regrets now.
Go for it my fellow member...and no regrets!! What may not work for others may work for you and vice-versa...same as blades...

I have no experience with the razor your contemplating buying. That said we all have our own rabbit holes to go down as far as RAD ( Razor Acquisition Disorder ) is concerned. After going down the hole for about 30+ razors I decided I would only buy razors which shaved noticeably differently than any I already have. That worked for a few years, but recently bought several, a GC and an ATT Windsor Pro only out of curiosity. The reviews intrigued me, but I did not expect them to be very different performers from razors I already have. Long way to say, if the cost is not a financial burden and you want it, go for it, if you really don’t like it, you can most likely sell it slightly used and recover most of your cost. Good Luck

This forum will almost always enable you. So, if you are asking it here, it is likely you have already made up your mind and will buy it. Also, given your list of razors it seems a clear RAD case, which corroborates my thesis :lol:

Anyway, I researched this razor a while ago and I could not see anything special about it... It has a rigid blade design and huge blade exposure, but so has my €15 Fatip... They even have a carbon fiber model for what $400 or $500? But that's not only about shaving anymore.

If you go for it, I sincerely hope you enjoy your shaves :)

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
This forum will almost always enable you, so if you are asking it here it is likely you have already made up your mind and will buy it. Also, given your list of razors it seems a clear RAD case, which corroborates my thesis :lol:

Anyway, I researched this razor a while ago and I could not see anything special about it... It has a rigid blade design and huge blade exposure, but so has my €15 Fatip... They even have a carbon fiber model for what $400 or $500? But that's not only about shaving anymore.

Words of wisdom. :001_smile

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This forum will almost always enable you. So, if you are asking it here, it is likely you have already made up your mind and will buy it. Also, given your list of razors it seems a clear RAD case, which corroborates my thesis :lol:

If you go for it, I sincerely hope you enjoy your shaves :)
I agree with you my friend, about 99% worth!

I believe you said this place will ALMOST always enable you.

You know better!

Christmas Season, Day 8.

M. A. Space Soap Christmas 2019 for the awesme!

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: M. A. Space Soap Christmas 2019
Razor: Carbon Shaving Co Cx-316L (Original, +, and ++)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Dorco ST-301 (1)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (7)
Brush: Omega S-Brush
AS/EdC: Clubman Special Reserve
Freedom Friday to smell like the gnarled Veteran/Contractor that I am. Like a well used hammer with slight refined details.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Christmas Season, Day 9.

Stirling Spice and Old Spice to smell like I should.

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: Stirling Spice
Razor: Carbon Shaving Co Cx-316L (Original, +, and ++)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Dorco ST-301 (3)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (9)
Brush: Stirling Badger
AS: Old Spice (US)
ASB: Stirling Spice
EdC: Old Spice (US)

This shave always makes me miss my parents, grandparents, and my uncle.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I was interested to buy this razor at one time but the handle configuration that thins out precisely where I tend to hold all my razors and finally he significant cost dissuaded me. Just my two cents worth and I am sure there are many who found the handle to be perfectly comfortable and secure to hold.

My key assessment when analysing/considering a razor is
1- whether it has a big blade bend and
2- it should show minimal amount of blade

The blade clamping is not of huge importance because I find the bigger blade bend plus minimal blade show minimise blade chatter.

I have found razors that have a strong clamp, I.e. Sandwich clamp, may still suffer from chatter on my beard, if they show a lot of blade.
(E.g. Tatara, karve)

Razors like blackbird have no chatter even though the blade clamp point is nowhere near the safety bar but due to the blade bend and minimal blade show, it's a super smooth shaver. As are razors like Yates 921, ATT Windsor, Merkur Progress, Rockwell 6S.

After all this rambling...The carbon never made it on my list as there's way too much blade showing for my liking.

My key assessment when analysing/considering a razor is
1- whether it has a big blade bend and
2- it should show minimal amount of blade

The blade clamping is not of huge importance because I find the bigger blade bend plus minimal blade show minimise blade chatter.

I have found razors that have a strong clamp, I.e. Sandwich clamp, may still suffer from chatter on my beard, if they show a lot of blade.
(E.g. Tatara, karve)

Razors like blackbird have no chatter even though the blade clamp point is nowhere near the safety bar but due to the blade bend and minimal blade show, it's a super smooth shaver. As are razors like Yates 921, ATT Windsor, Merkur Progress, Rockwell 6S.

After all this rambling...The carbon never made it on my list as there's way too much blade showing for my liking.
Interesting take.

When I say "good blade clamping" I typically mean "a rigid blade", as opposed to the literal sense of the word "clamping".

The two razors with the least amount of blade reveal, by far, that I've used (and seen) is the Era and Overlander, it's absolutely tiny.
But the advantage of the Era is that it is also clamped (in the literal sense) all the way out to the very edge on the bottom too. That extremely rigid blade gives the Era a different feel compared to other razors, in my experience, including the Overlander.

Interesting take.

When I say "good blade clamping" I typically mean "a rigid blade", as opposed to the literal sense of the word "clamping".

The two razors with the least amount of blade reveal, by far, that I've used (and seen) is the Era and Overlander, it's absolutely tiny.
But the advantage of the Era is that it is also clamped (in the literal sense) all the way out to the very edge on the bottom too. That extremely rigid blade gives the Era a different feel compared to other razors, in my experience, including the Overlander.

I agree fully.
The Era head design looks great. How is the blade bend on it?

Also, which era plate are you using and how does it compare to the overlander?

Top Bottom