What's new

Is the Muhle R89 an under-rated razor?

I have the Baxter of California razor which is a re-branded Muhle R89. I got quite the deal on it at the time. $50.00 with a tube of shaving cream and free delivery.:)

I like it! It's a terrific razor. It's in my top five, for sure.:) I like the finish, although I noticed a small scratch/mar on the cap head. Not sure where that came from. Anyone know if it can be polished out?

I have the Baxter of California razor which is a re-branded Muhle R89. I got quite the deal on it at the time. $50.00 with a tube of shaving cream and free delivery.:)

I like it! It's a terrific razor. It's in my top five, for sure.:) I like the finish, although I noticed a small scratch/mar on the cap head. Not sure where that came from. Anyone know if it can be polished out?

Most likely it’s just due to the very soft metal it’s made from.

TADIII said:
I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I have a 2009 Muhle R89 that is different from the ones under discussion. It was made for Muhle by Fatip and looks just exactly like a Fatip Grande.
View attachment 831209
Carry on.
Tom
It look totally different from Muhle. Finishing look like make of solid stainless steel? Comb is not Muhle traditional scallop. Handle look like EJ style. Will it still shave like r89? Its the refinement of the classic Muhle that look like a art piece that attract me at first, otherwise i would go for a Merkur 34HD that is much cheaper.

I found this old thread the other day so decided to pull out my Muhle R89 Grande that I have not used in couple of years. It was the first razor I bought, on a whim, at the mall before I ever used a DE razor. Let me tell you, I way overpaid for this thing. It was a good razor to learn on as it is pretty forgiving. That said, I still ripped my face apart the first couple of weeks I had it. Going back to it now, having used a old Gillette Short Open Comb Ball End for the past couple of years, the Muhle is way too mild. It just did not give as close of a shave as my 90 year old Gillette. I also did not like the weight of the r89 Grande after using the Hallow Ball End Handle for so long.

I found this old thread the other day so decided to pull out my Muhle R89 Grande that I have not used in couple of years. It was the first razor I bought, on a whim, at the mall before I ever used a DE razor. Let me tell you, I way overpaid for this thing. It was a good razor to learn on as it is pretty forgiving. That said, I still ripped my face apart the first couple of weeks I had it. Going back to it now, having used a old Gillette Short Open Comb Ball End for the past couple of years, the Muhle is way too mild. It just did not give as close of a shave as my 90 year old Gillette. I also did not like the weight of the r89 Grande after using the Hallow Ball End Handle for so long.
So you resurrected a thread a few years old just to say you prefer more aggressive razors ? :biggrin: This razor is one of the closest shaves I can get without tearing up my face as it’s mikd enough that I can do a 3 pass shave on my sensitive neck and not have to shave so often.

Yes, I was looking the razor up to see if it had any value to sell, which it really does not considering how much I overpaid at the mall. When I found this thread I thought maybe I was not giving the razor a fair shake since so many guys seem to like it. I don't think it is a bad razor, it just not for me any more.

Yes, I was looking the razor up to see if it had any value to sell, which it really does not considering how much I overpaid at the mall. When I found this thread I thought maybe I was not giving the razor a fair shake since so many guys seem to like it. I don't think it is a bad razor, it just not for me any more.
Things change ! You can always post it and see if someone would buy it if you qualify to post in the BST.

I don't think it is worth posting. I paid about $80 for it and it looks like you can get one new online for about $45. Maybe can find someone that will want to trade. Otherwise, maybe will give it to one of my brothers or any friends that want to learn to shave with a DE. Besides, I don't have not been on the board long enough to qualify to post is BST.

I think the Muhle R89 is an underrated razor. In Europe it costs considerably less than in the US; it is often a first razor and I suspect many shavers move on to more aggressive razors or razors made from aluminium, stainless or brass and the R89 gets forgotten. It is an excellent razor for beginners and more experienced shavers alike. Beginners will love it because it can be mild, forgiving and shaves through a wide range of angles. it also works well with different blades. Seasoned shavers will love it because with effective technique it is also efficient and its efficiency increases in direct proportion to experience and technique. Like many members I have many razors but the more razors I have used the more I admire the design of the standard R89. Beautifully balanced, weighted and proportioned. The feedback through the fingertips and to the ears is informative. Some refer to this as chatter and poor blade clamping but I find the razor gentle on the skin. I am not surprised Gillette used the Muhle head on their Heritage release and why so many have cloned the razor; the design is just wonderfully judged, beautifully finished and restrained but also a step-up aesthetically from it's many clones. The tortoise shell, chrome and rose gold handles each have different weights so the razor can be tuned in terms of balance.

I have the Muhle and EJ razors. Like using the Muhle Grande a lot, it's mild and I have to do 3 passes to achieve a desired shave, with no drama. In my addiction , I also have a synthetic handle, it looks very nice, but for some reason did not like using it....
Muhle makes good quality products.

Top Bottom