What's new

Is the Muhle R89 an under-rated razor?

I think theyre underrated, although an EJ is a much better value. Both razors use the exact same head, the only difference is the handle and the fact that the EJ costs half as much.

The head design and shaving results are good so well rated and have sold thousands. The EJ razors are better value for money and have a number of handle options. I prefer the Merkur HD though.

I own the Muhle R89 and it's my all time favorite and I used an aristocrat for 20yrs. I can shave as fast with the 89 as anyone can shave with a Mach 3 and yes I am not afraid to use pressure with no fear. Just an absoloutely awesome shave every time.

I got a Muhle R89 one month ago. It shaves surprisingly very well even for few days whisker and hair without clogging in several passes due to its large drain holes design. Its effective yet don't nick or cause burn like other razors. In long passes over coarse hair, it's perfectly balance head keeps the blade firmly without vibration thus avoiding small burns that one clone head i tried recently gave. This subtle difference between perfected R89 and cheaper clone head is the extra money paid for, together with its great finishing and brand.

Build quality and chrome plating is beautiful, but not perfect. If you look closely, there are small spots without been plated, at both the top cap pins, and at the drain holes corner exposing the brass color zamak. These leave the zinc alloy expose to corrosion directly. Muhle said its unavoidable technically for their market best top notch plating. But i don't find that in other cheaper razors, i. e. can be touch up. Handle is beautifully fine knurled and perfectly chrome plated, so refine that make it slippery when wet.

The new razor weigh 70g instead of 64g as most reviews and sellers have stated. Muhle said the weight increase is due to recent change of the screw and thread to brass, so as to overcome the brittle zamak screw that break when drop, and the easy wear off thread that some have complaint. That is a good improvement.

Overall, its a very well balance classic quality razor, likely perfected over time that delivers good shaving neither been too aggressive or mild. But i found futur deliver better shave of ultra smoothness and effectiveness. Its more about individual preference and needs.

So it is very much underrated by many as very mild good for newbies in this sense. It is indeed a very efficient shaver for both newbies and seasoned alike in my personal opnion, though not for big beard lumberjack which may need something like open comb R41 or Merkur futur/progress.

I have one too.. it was my intro to wet/DE shaving, and had used it exclusively for a couple of years up untill I got my Merkur 39C.

I'd say it's a perfect entry point razor, and it's very forgiving. I could easily get a daily DFS with my favourite yellow Gilette 7 o'clock blades. The forgiveness however does go against it in my opinion as you don't have to have perfect technique, which I learned when I got the 39C (no pressure means NO PRESSURE). Also, I could never do an ATG shave with the R89 or I'd get a terrible burn, bumps and ingrowns - I don't know if that has to do with the 'scalloped' edges on the safety bar clearing away too much soap before the blade gets there? But I have since used it with my better technique and still got the burn and ingrowns?

The new razor weigh 70g instead of 64g as most reviews and sellers have stated. Muhle said the weight increase is due to recent change of the screw and thread to brass, so as to overcome the brittle zamak screw that break when drop, and the easy wear off thread that some have complaint.
Link? The screw of my old R89 is slowly dissolving...

Oh, I meant a link to Mühle's statement. I did not find any info regarding a screw made of brass. :)

Last edited:
The weight increase relates to a product improvement. The screw on the top cap is now made of brass. Before it was made of zinc alloy. It turned out that the alloy was too soft so the thread wore off relatively fast.
The brass screw is more stable and durable. The change was applied recently and the specification was not changed yet. We are sorry for that. "

I think this improvement only apply to later new batch which i have gotten recently. Im glad about this as the brittle screw and worn off thread is my concern before acquiring R89. But i decided to go ahead anyway.
Link? The screw of my old R89 is slowly dissolving...
hi, I was told by Muhle directly about this brass screw when i email them to question about the weight different from 64g to 70g. Muhle said:

"

I also think Muhle head + Bulldog handle make good value. Maggards sell similar head and heavy stainless steel bulldog handle at quite low price.

See picture, a clone R89 head with Bulldog handle, i get from China Taobao for US$10 as spare. You might find in Aliexpress at $20 incl shipping, Alixp gives $4 coupon. But picture show handle is like Muhle.
AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more

Total weight 81g. Head is zince alloy, shining chrome plating but not as refine. Top cap slightly narrower and lower cap thicker than Muhle's, resulting in slightly bigger blade bend and exposure. This make the shaving subtly different from Muhle head. Blade vibrate slightly when doing long pass over coarse hair, giving slight burns when Muhle don't. Overall still shave well but lack Muhle refinement.

Website said the handle is make of brass, chrome plating is nice, weigh 47g , 85mm long, 15mm thick. Provide good grip even wet. It fits Muhle head well. This weight suit me, those stainless steel handle >100g seem too heavy.

Btw, anyone know if R89 patent has expired? Seem many razors head have similar design now.
tmp-cam-1552598039.jpg

Oh, I meant a link to Mühle's statement. I did not find any info regarding a screw made of brass. :)

Resend. Some corruption of format after posting previously.

hi sw, I was told by Muhle directly about this brass screw when i email them about the weight increase from 64g to 70g which isn't reflected in its website specification.

I think this improvement only apply to later new batch which i have gotten recently. Im glad about this as the brittle screw and worn off thread is my concern before acquiring R89. But i decided to go ahead anyway.

Muhle reply:
"The weight increase relates to a product improvement. The screw on the top cap is now made of brass. Before it was made of zinc alloy. It turned out that the alloy was too soft so the thread wore off relatively fast. The brass screw is more stable and durable. The change was applied recently and the specification was not changed yet. We are sorry for that. "

Thanks for the info. Seems like the original now does have a huge advantage in comparison to all these cheap clones out there.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I have a 2009 Muhle R89 that is different from the ones under discussion. It was made for Muhle by Fatip and looks just exactly like a Fatip Grande.
upload_2017-10-22_13-9-30.jpeg

Carry on.
Tom

Does boring mean close and comfortable shaves, no cuts, and never a weeper?

Does boring mean a razor with outstanding balance, flawless appearance, and a perfect feel in the hand?
Well said, brother. Right now I'm using a DE/R89 clone called the RazoRock MJ-90, and it gives a great, quick and easy shave with no irritation or weepers. There seem to be a whole lot of clones available, but when I'm in the mood to buy myself a shiny (but also useful) toy, I'll probably get the original with one of those classy Muhle handles. Very elegant and nice.

Keep having scrolling and formating issue typing with my mobile posting here don't know why.

I don't think there is great advantage consider Muhle high cost vs clone. For $10, a clone head + brass bulldog handle that shave quite well is a good bargain. Just wonder why they don't simply clone exactly like EJ89 but modify 1mm. Not sure how other clones head perform so can't comment.

Still if $ not a issue, then go for great combo of original Muhle head + Ikon Bulldog like Macfrommichigan suggested. It will give a long time of shaving joy daily and extra men collections. Surely its better value than we splash away on latest mobile phone or dinner.
Thanks for the info. Seems like the original now does have a huge advantage in comparison to all these cheap clones out there.

Attachments

• Muhle R89+Bulldog Copper Handle.jpg
    Muhle R89+Bulldog Copper Handle.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom