What's new

Is the Muhle R89 an under-rated razor?

I've had a Muhle R89 razor for several years, but for some reason I had not used it much. I have been shaving with it for the past 2 weeks, and have found it to be an outstanding razor.

It is well designed and engineered, and everything fits with precision. The quality of the chrome finish is wonderful. The width, length, and the weight of the handle is perfect for my hand. The balance seems neutral and perfect for me. The length of the head is wide, so there are virtually no blade ends exposed. There is no hole in the end of the handle to capture soap and hard water deposits. The anchoring "knobs" in the back of the head are recessed, allowing easy cleaning without disassembly.

I have tough whiskers. A setting of 5 on a Fat Boy and a 6 on a Slim or on a Super Adjustable is perfect for me. Consequently I found the R89 to be a little mild. So I use a shim or two and the R89 is perfect for my face. I use one shim for the super sharp Feather blades, and two shims for all the other blades. I have about 75 DE and SE razors, and I can't think of any razor that overall exceeds the beauty, the engineering, and performance of my shimmed Muhle R89.

One question: Does anyone know what R89 means? I'm guessing R means razor. What is the meaning or the significance of the 89?

Last edited:
Not sure I can answer the question on the significance of the name/number. However, I have used the R89 exclusively (until this morning) since returning to DE shaving 3 months ago. Like you, I find the finish to be excellent quality and the handle (I chose the Stylo) a great combination of length, width and weight. I also like Muhle brushes (Stylo, Kosmo badger and a couple of synthetics still to arrive) so am something of a fanboy for the brand.
I have experimented with different custom handles recently and have no trouble matching these to the R89 head, with excellent shaves from all. My one time not using the R89 was to try a Maggard V3A head - was intrigued by the description of it being an aggressive razor so I paired it with a mild blade (Muhle!). It was probably the best shave I have achieved to date. I will no doubt try other combinations of head, handle and blade but I get the feeling the Muhle R89 will always be my 'go to' razor head.

I've not seen anything to suggest it's been poorly rated, but it rarely receives any positive comment. There's quite a bit of love for the EJ89L, which is very similar (same?) but little said about the Muhle.
Maybe it's just become overlooked because of the huge volume of competing hardware. Maybe it's the price - Muhle isn't known for budget prices (though I don't believe their equipment is vastly over-priced). Maybe it's because being German it's not as available in the USA? Who knows...

I own an R89. Muhle makes a great razor.

I have discovered the Edwin Jagger Kelvin with the short handle yields a better shave for me. The Kelvin uses the same head as the Muhle R89.

My Mileage Varied for me.

Since the Edwin Jaggers come in at a lower price point and sell more units, we see more reviews for them.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have an R89 Grande. I love it. I also have the DE89 on a Weber Classic. Love that too! And I use a Maggards MR-18 with their V3 head as my travel razor. The V3 is a clone of the DE89/R89 head. I also have the Razorock version of this head as well for a backup.

The R89 and DE89 are the exact same head. So when anyone professes love for the DE89, it applies directly to the R89 as well.

The DE89 is a bit less expensive here in the USA. Sometime quite a bit less. The Muhle has nicer handles in my opinion. The Grande handle is just the bomb as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I've ever used the dinky stock handle that came on my DE89.

All of the DE89 variants are great in my book. However being made of zamak is the one weakness. That is why I have a preorder in for the Muhle Rocca, which is a new stainless evolution of the R series. It was supposed to be here already, but Muhle is only releasing a few each month. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

I've got an Edwin Jagger DE86 - same head that was co-developed by Muhle and Edwin Jagger. It's a reliable workhorse razor that consistently gives good shaves. I use it as my travel razor and always find that I get really good shaves on holidays with it - maybe because I'm more relaxed and have more time to shave.

I began DE shaving last year with a Muhle 89 that I purchased from AOS. It was an excellent razor to introduce me to wet shaving and is an all-around superb razor, providing many wonderful shaves. However, I gave it to my son as a surprise gift along with a matching brush and stand to introduce him as well. I hated to see it go but I enjoyed his excitement upon receiving it.

A very well designed razor, that delivers superb shaves. Also, it reeks quality with its flawless chrome plating - attention to detail is immaculate. A few other manufacturers can learn a lot about "quality control" from Muhle. IMO, its a great razor for both beginners and experienced shavers.

I would not say its under-rated, but it definitely doesn't get much love on the forums. Probably because its been playing second-fiddle in the shadows of Edwin Jagger for most markets.

The DE89 is a fine and well finished razor and a lot of folks would rather spend $20 or so less and get it over the Muhle. I understand, but am one of those who think it's enough of an upgrade to buy a Muhle. To each his own. I have ordered a 2nd R89 with an olive wood handle and matching brush & stand. I think it's a Stylo, and I'll get a lot of pleasure from owning and using it. I just like Muhle products.

Ron

I think most folks here have one, or at least did at one time. I have the Edwin Jagger DE 89, which is the same thing, it's a great shaver. There have been many threads here about the 89, most fellas love them, they're just kinda boring to use all the time.

Great razors. My first purchase after starting with a Slim from my fathers estate. I liked the story on the significant design process for the new modern razor.

I have a Twist and tortoise shell hande one. I love the size and design of the Twist.

I think most folks here have one, or at least did at one time. I have the Edwin Jagger DE 89, which is the same thing, it's a great shaver. There have been many threads here about the 89, most fellas love them, they're just kinda boring to use all the time.
Does boring mean close and comfortable shaves, no cuts, and never a weeper?

Does boring mean a razor with outstanding balance, flawless appearance, and a perfect feel in the hand?

They're not old enough to be truly interesting.
Agreed. But every product has their fanboy.
Does boring mean close and comfortable shaves, no cuts, and never a weeper?

Does boring mean a razor with outstanding balance, flawless appearance, and a perfect feel in the hand?
I like my 89 but I get cuts and weepers just like my other razors. This speaks more for your technique. I also don't find it all that balanced, but, I'm glad you like them. Personally I don't care how well you wrap chrome around pot metal. It is still pot metal. There are many razors that I prefer made out of superior materials. The Piccolo may not have as good a finnish but it is at least made of brass, and costs 20 bucks at that! I also like my vintage razors.

Agreed. But every product has their fanboy.
I like my 89 but I get cuts and weepers just like my other razors. This speaks more for your technique. I also don't find it all that balanced, but, I'm glad you like them. Personally I don't care how well you wrap chrome around pot metal. It is still pot metal. There are many razors that I prefer made out of superior materials. The Piccolo may not have as good a finnish but it is at least made of brass, and costs 20 bucks at that! I also like my vintage razors.
But at age 80 and with no sons, do I care how long my Muhle R89 will last?

Another chocolate/vanilla situation. I find the R89 to appear: classic, charming, upscale, and exactly the right length. They are slippery when wet!
Ron

Top Bottom