What's new

Is sharpness in a blade overrated? Does it really matter?

OUCH!

I think the combination of skin type and hair type must play a role in this discussion too. I can get a close shave with a Feather but I also get irritation every time. They seem to pull and tug more than they cut. In contrast I get zero irritation and no tugging with a Derby.

I am fair skinned and burn easily in the sun. My beard is mixed with the brown and red hairs being softer and flat as opposed to the grey hairs which are tough like wire and round.

Is there a consensus of skin/hair types that get the best shaves with a Feather as opposed to a different less sharp brand of blade?

As for the skin/hair types that get the best shave, I've noticed that about 90% of the people who swear by the Feather preface their post by talking about how horridly thick their whiskers are. Terms like "barbed wire" often pop up. I personally can't stand the Feather, and it actually takes me more passes than my BiCs do, and I have finer whiskers. I'm not sure how much of this is exaggeration for effect, but I'm pretty sure bad whiskers=good for Feathers.

My experience has shown me that you don't need a Feather blade to get a fantastic shave, and indeed Feathers are almost a novelty item. I do just fine with Derbys.

Do you really need a supser sharp blade? And will more sharpness equal a better shave?
What did you mean by Feathers are almost a novelty?

It seems to me that sharpness, or really the perceived sharpness, is a factor of two or three variables.

1. The angle of the bevel
2. How well the edge is polished
3. the thickness of the edge
Don't forget:

4. Type of steel used
5. Any coating applied to the blade
6. The number of cuts, or bevels

I personally think that #'s 1, 5, and 6 matter most.

Top Bottom