What's new

Is sharing a razor hygenic?

FYI, 90% ethyl alcohol can be purchased at your local liquor store, under the brand name of everclear. Just don't drink the stuff, it's both vile and dangerous unless it's cut down to a lower strength!

put me in the "I ain't buyin' nothing' used" column.

guess I'm in the minority...

Me too.

How do you know if the seller has boils or a chronic skin condition or not?

They can't even cure the common cold. (Someone mentioned HIV and Hepatitis.) Nope, no thanks.

The poster makes a good point about forks in restaurants. Although I doubt a patient would come straight from the dentist after a tooth extraction, or some such. And it it further assumed, the fork has been put through the dishwasher. While diners don't have a secure knowledge there of, it's a necessary assumption we have to make.

After all is said and done, I think it comes down to this question: When you cut yourself for the first time with a vintage razor, how are you going to feel? If the worry is going to push you outside of your "comfort zone," and make you worry, then DON'T do it. For some people it works, for others, it doesn't; and that's ok. You need to make the decision that feels right to you.

They can't even cure the common cold. (Someone mentioned HIV and Hepatitis.) Nope, no thanks.

They can't cure it when it's in somebody because they don't know how to do it without killing the person. We do know how to kill the common cold (aka rhino virus) very easily when it's outside the body on an inanimate object. Piece of cake! We can just as easily "cure" herpes, hiv, hepatitis, rhino virus, and most any other pathogens that happen to exist on your razor. Bleach is a broad spectrum biocide. It will kill about any infection or pathogen. It's kind of rough when it's coursing through your veins however.

Trying to draw a relationship between what can be "cured" in the human body and what can be sanitized from an inanimate object demonstrates a lack of understanding of the situation.

Hmmm, maybe we can turn junkies onto Barbicide, too!

I remember years ago there was a late night public service announcement called "The Adventures of Bleachman." He was an intergalactic superhero (or at least a guy in tights and an oversized bleach bottle with eyeholes cut in it) who landed on the streets of San Francisco to spread needle sterilization techniques to junkies. A water/bleach solution is good enough for hiv+ junkies, it'll do the job.
The tag line of the short piece was:

"If you're gonna do the drug, ya gotta use the jug."

Roger

...Clean...wash...something...scrub...something...boil...yeah.

Its all been said, and I really don't know why its such a big concern. I know the 'dangers' as put forth by k1rod [awesome example, by the way], and for that exact reason I'm pretty lax about cleaning used aquisitions. I'll separate them and boil for five, and thats about it apart from aesthetic cleaning which tends to also be hygenic cleaning.

Cheers, RDWHACS! [Relax, Dont Worry, Have Another Classic Shave!]

Top Bottom