What's new

Is it ok to use vintage NOS blades?

I don't see '74' marked anywhere on the package. Thumbs up or down on these? They are 40 years old.

20210819_191316729_iOS.jpg

I am going down the road that it looks like you have traveled. Got 2 Auto Strop razors, both with a new sealed unused blade. No rust, and dry. They are sharp but too jagged to use. I plan to hone them on my 8000 grit wet stone, then strop them in the razor. Am I wasting my time? Or is there a chance of success? I will have to hone them by hand and guestimate the angle of the grind.

Honing my Rolls Razor to a sharp edge....is an ongoing project. Round 3 upcoming. I think I need a 220 grit stone.
Good luck

I don't see '74' marked anywhere on the package. Thumbs up or down on these? They are 40 years old.

View attachment 1314229
For the most part, 74s sold in packages marked as such have only arrows on the blades. Ones sold in packaging as you've pictured will mention Tungsten on the back of the card and the blades themselves will be labeled as Personna 74.

I prefer them to 74s. Much smoother and a big thumbs up from me. Much cheaper per blade too even though they don't last as long as 74s.

I was bumming a little when I read Mouser's reply. I am glad that they would be suitable for my first venture into DE shaving. I've used a straight razor quite a bit over the last dozen years, but I've never experimented with DE.

Thanks for letting me know.

I was bumming a little when I read Mouser's reply. I am glad that they would be suitable for my first venture into DE shaving. I've used a straight razor quite a bit over the last dozen years, but I've never experimented with DE.

Assuming they weren't stored in a humid place all these years they're more than suitable as i find vintage blades are superior to modern blades and plenty of others agree. I think you will have fun experimenting.

So the blades don't say Personna 74 on them?

I am going down the road that it looks like you have traveled. Got 2 Auto Strop razors, both with a new sealed unused blade. No rust, and dry. They are sharp but too jagged to use. I plan to hone them on my 8000 grit wet stone, then strop them in the razor. Am I wasting my time? Or is there a chance of success? I will have to hone them by hand and guestimate the angle of the grind.

Honing my Rolls Razor to a sharp edge....is an ongoing project. Round 3 upcoming. I think I need a 220 grit stone.
Hello, I prefer special sharpeners for blades, and I give Rolls to the master for sharpening.

Attachments

• IMG-f0e2903280131fc362f6b9022217ee9a-V.jpg
    IMG-f0e2903280131fc362f6b9022217ee9a-V.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 8
So the blades don't say Personna 74 on them?
Ken the 74's arrow design was different and only after production of 74's ended did the remaining leftovers end up in some of the successors packaging but again easily spotted due to the arrow design difference vs the later SPC arrow design like in the photo above. Based on what I see on Ebay sales of the few that do pop up, they go for more than I think they should be because I think a lot of people also assume they're buying 74's when in fact they aren't.

Ken the 74's arrow design was different and only after production of 74's ended did the remaining leftovers end up in some of the successors packaging but again easily spotted due to the arrow design difference vs the later SPC arrow design like in the photo above. Based on what I see on Ebay sales of the few that do pop up, they go for more than I think they should be because I think a lot of people also assume they're buying 74's when in fact they aren't.
Dale, I'm referring to the ones no longer stating Personna 74 in the package branding but mention Tungsten on the back and the blades are actually marked " Personna 74". I used to have an old thread from here comprehensively explaining the many different packaging and blade markings bookmarked. Ill try to find it and repost it. Meanwhile, I have some of every different 74 offerings from the introductory individual samples to the final ones as described above that even came in dispensers of 20.

I can't find the one I was thinking of, maybe its on a different shaving site, but this is helpful

Dale, I'm referring to the ones no longer stating Personna 74 in the package branding but mention Tungsten on the back and the blades are actually marked " Personna 74". I used to have an old thread from here comprehensively explaining the many different packaging and blade markings bookmarked. Ill try to find it and repost it. Meanwhile, I have some of every different 74 offerings from the introductory individual samples to the final ones as described above that even came in dispensers of 20.
I know what you mean Ken but you can easily spot 74's from non-74s just based on the arrow design difference on the blade itself regardless of the packaging.

74 Arrows will look like this:

try.jpg

Non-74 Super Platinum Chromes look like this and in the photo posted above by the thread starter:

yui.jpg

There was an in between Super Platinum Chrome that looks like this from my collection and can fool you into thinking its a 74 and there is no way to really know until you remove the blade from the dispenser:

IMG_21667.jpg

I know what you mean Ken but you can easily spot 74's from non-74s just based on the arrow design difference on the blade itself regardless of the packaging.

74 Arrows will look like this:

View attachment 1315020

Non-74 Super Platinum Chromes look like this and in the photo posted above by the thread starter:

View attachment 1315022

There was an in between Super Platinum Chrome that looks like this from my collection and can fool you into thinking its a 74 and there is no way to really know until you remove the blade from the dispenser:

View attachment 1315023
Oh! I see what you're getting at and yes.
Sorry, I was chasing a different point.

Top Bottom