What's new

Is it ok to use vintage NOS blades?

Yeah, you don't hog 'em all to yourself, as I recall you sent me a couple a few years back. It's true: they don't make 'em like they used to!

Anyone: are modern day "Treets" carbon steel? I ask because a gentleman on here sent me some, and I was VERY impressed.
They produce both Dave. I found 5 different carbon steel offerings from Treet and got very good results with the yellow/red wrapped Dura Sharp and the Classic. The much famed Black Beauty didn’t felt so great. The other two are Falcon and Silver.

6FF6DC78-20C1-411B-84ED-C61947309CD0.jpeg

I'm of the opinion that the classic stainless blades are better than what is available today as the latest .. Vintage Personna 74's, Schick Plus Platinums, Gillette Spoilers are the ones I have tried & continue to shave with. The former have become unobtainium mostly, but the Schick's & Spoilers are readily available. I'd buy only sealed packs & haven't been disappointed save a couple packs that were stuck together .. which was sorted.
Try using a hair dryer on any future vintage blades that are stuck in their blade packs. The warm heat should thin the oil film that's thickened and become like glue.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Vintage stainless blades are some of the best ever.
If you want to use old carbon steel blades, as long as they aren't rusted you can try.
Be advised that old carbon steel blades are certainly more of an "adventure" than a treat.
By adventure, I mean could be anywhere between - "Well, they cut ok - I feel sorry for the guys who only had these to choose from" to "Call 911, Call 911!"

I've been able ,through very diligent homework, to have some very top notch shaves with a few different vintage carbons. Its a different experience as well. Very unique audibly. These pictured give great, bbs shaves. The only change I make in my shave routine is four passes instead of three.
20190419_053747.jpg

As mentioned the Stainless Steel ones would be okay to use of stored correctly. The carbon steel are for looks only.
Not 100% true, but unless you want to spend hours and hours tracking down carbon blades that have been perfectly taken care of for last 30,40 years or more ( I have) stick to stainless.

What's wrong using a vintage blade? There's no expiration date on the pack.
Get and old Gillette Blue (Carbon) and try it. Chances are high that it hasn’t kept up so well. While they do not have an expiration date carbon steel can still deteriorate and oxidize/rust for instance. All new (stainless) blades have additional coatings as the plain steel would be harsh on the face. There are also some specimens of coated carbon blades around but you would have to ask the real Pros here for advice.

If you want to try out modern carbon blades look for those lines from Treet (Classic, Dura-sharp, Siver, Falcon, Black Beauty).

Look, I've spent countless hours not only tracking down vintage blades in pristine shape, both stainless and carbon, but then getting them at reasonable prices for someone who is going to use them not collect. There are some important boxes to tick on the provenance of carbons. Are they from a dry region, i.e. the southwest? Have they been kept sealed and then, also, in an airtight container?
I'm happy I did the work and found what I have but if you're still working, have a family, another hobby I wouldn't recommend it.

I do not know that someone once convinced someone in an argument. Everyone decides for himself. The opinions of the participants in the discussion on this matter are different. In my country, vintage carbon straight razors are often bought and used. Many of them are being restored. Some are afraid, some are not. The choice of each person how to act in life.

I do not know that someone once convinced someone in an argument. Everyone decides for himself. The opinions of the participants in the discussion on this matter are different. In my country, vintage carbon straight razors are often bought and used. Many of them are being restored. Some are afraid, some are not. The choice of each person how to act in life.
You wouldn’t shave with a vintage SR as is, or?
Restoring the edge on a SR and much more so on a DE blade is a considerable feat I would say.

You wouldn’t shave with a vintage SR as is, or?
Restoring the edge on a SR and much more so on a DE blade is a considerable feat I would say.
I am engaged in antiques, I also have a habit of using things of past years for their intended purpose. Of course, if the blade is rusted, then it goes to the collection on the shelf. It's hard to find a carbon steel blade in good condition, but if I find one, I'll use it. There have been no problems yet. I've also tried many straight razors and razors like Wilkinson above with a charcoal wedge. If the condition is good, then it can be used. The truth is not for everyone, but decide for yourself first. Whether it is necessary or not. I'm more worried about the waste of money on this. This is really starting to take a toll on the budget.

I am engaged in antiques, I also have a habit of using things of past years for their intended purpose. Of course, if the blade is rusted, then it goes to the collection on the shelf. It's hard to find a carbon steel blade in good condition, but if I find one, I'll use it. There have been no problems yet. I've also tried many straight razors and razors like Wilkinson above with a charcoal wedge. If the condition is good, then it can be used. The truth is not for everyone, but decide for yourself first. Whether it is necessary or not. I'm more worried about the waste of money on this. This is really starting to take a toll on the budget.
I am going down the road that it looks like you have traveled. Got 2 Auto Strop razors, both with a new sealed unused blade. No rust, and dry. They are sharp but too jagged to use. I plan to hone them on my 8000 grit wet stone, then strop them in the razor. Am I wasting my time? Or is there a chance of success? I will have to hone them by hand and guestimate the angle of the grind.

Honing my Rolls Razor to a sharp edge....is an ongoing project. Round 3 upcoming. I think I need a 220 grit stone.

Top Bottom