What's new

Are carbon steel blades good in vintage razors?

I've never used carbon steel razor blades, but I'm aware that the vintage Gillette Blue Blades were carbon steel. How do modern carbon steel blades compare? Would modern carbon steel blades be good in a vintage Gillette razor? Are there any differences in sharpness, smoothness, thickness in modern carbon steel vs stainless steel blades?
I shaved a little while ago with a treet carbon blue blade in a 1912 old type, no cuts, nicks or weepers. I also had the same result yesterday with the same setup, imo it does work and I got two good shaves

I am using the Treet Dura Sharp right now in the One Blade in February challenge. It is carbon steel and I don't see any size differences between it and the Treet Platinum which is made of stainless steel. The color of the Dura Sharp is more yellow - but I have no idea if that is significant. I also have a tuck of the Treet Carbon Steel nick-named "Black Beauty" and the blade is completely black.

I have put the Dura Sharp into a Fatip Grande, King C. Gillette, Lord L6, and a no-name razor this month. It works fine in all of them, and I have discovered the razor makes more of a difference in the shaving experience (along with shaving prep and soap) than the actual blade. In my experience of course. I'll probably throw it into a vintage razor like my Gillette Tech too in February.

So try out a carbon steel blade if you want - it's fun to have variety. With that said, my favorites right now are all stainless steel.

Top Bottom