What's new

Is it ok to use vintage NOS blades?

The thing to keep in mind with vintage blades is their propensity to rust. Keep an eye out for that and probably a good idea to ensure tetanus booster is up to date.

I have personally used blades older than that without issue.

Tetanus is PROBABLY not a worry, as long they weren't stored in the muck of a horse stall or Dairy Farm.

LOL, but as usual, "Your Mileage May Vary", very much!

True, rust won't get you. But bacteria ipon hands might. I work in health care and have seen the hand cultures of many, many folks including health care workers. Get the booster!

Super Silver for me as well. The folks at the Vintage Blade Collectors Club will help you with even the most exotic find.
4AEA0CB5-CC5E-41A3-AE76-64EA82B7D44A.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
As noted above, stainless is usually OK. I have a stash of Gillette Super Stainless and Spoilers from the early to mid-seventies that I occasionally indulge in, the vintage Wilkinson Swords are another that works well for me. Have fun.

Carbon steel blades are for the display ...
full

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm of the opinion that the classic stainless blades are better than what is available today as the latest .. Vintage Personna 74's, Schick Plus Platinums, Gillette Spoilers are the ones I have tried & continue to shave with. The former have become unobtainium mostly, but the Schick's & Spoilers are readily available. I'd buy only sealed packs & haven't been disappointed save a couple packs that were stuck together .. which was sorted.

I'm of the opinion that the classic stainless blades are better than what is available today as the latest .. Vintage Personna 74's, Schick Plus Platinums, Gillette Spoilers are the ones I have tried & continue to shave with. The former have become unobtainium mostly, but the Schick's & Spoilers are readily available. I'd buy only sealed packs & haven't been disappointed save a couple packs that were stuck together .. which was sorted.
The stuck blades are a small price to pay for much better quality at least for me.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Learned some things today: 1) tread lightly with vintage carbon steel blades, 2) consider sanitizing NOS blades, and 3) never, ever pet a burning dog. Actually #3 was from my older brother - the same brother who told me I was abandoned by gypsies and used my BB gun to shoot me in the forehead with mom's little silver cookie decorations - but I digress.

Was the recipient of a very generous PIF recently where 50-year-old Astra Superior Stainless blades traveled from Maine to my mailbox (thanks @Grundi and @Space_Cadet). They were lovely, although I do find the modern version preferable.

So in summary, old carbon steel blades bad, vintage stainless blades good, older brothers very, very
Silver balls.jpg
bad.

It all depends on how the blades were stored.
Stainless steel generally outlasts carbon, but humidity and mould can easily ruin either, and in short order.
I've never found a Gillette Old Style that was useable, but some gents claim that the old razor-blade sharpeners can put most pre-war blades in serviceable condition.
What's your tolerance for pain?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As noted above, stainless is usually OK. I have a stash of Gillette Super Stainless and Spoilers from the early to mid-seventies that I occasionally indulge in, the vintage Wilkinson Swords are another that works well for me. Have fun.

Carbon steel blades are for the display ...
full
Yeah, you don't hog 'em all to yourself, as I recall you sent me a couple a few years back. It's true: they don't make 'em like they used to!

Anyone: are modern day "Treets" carbon steel? I ask because a gentleman on here sent me some, and I was VERY impressed.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Learned some things today: 1) tread lightly with vintage carbon steel blades, 2) consider sanitizing NOS blades, and 3) never, ever pet a burning dog. Actually #3 was from my older brother - the same brother who told me I was abandoned by gypsies and used my BB gun to shoot me in the forehead with mom's little silver cookie decorations - but I digress.

Was the recipient of a very generous PIF recently where 50-year-old Astra Superior Stainless blades traveled from Maine to my mailbox (thanks @Grundi and @Space_Cadet). They were lovely, although I do find the modern version preferable.

So in summary, old carbon steel blades bad, vintage stainless blades good, older brothers very, veryView attachment 1299713 bad.
We musta been raised in the same house!

Top Bottom