What's new

Is it just me, or anyone else cant tell diff between 3 band and "reg" silvertip?

Pic 1 is a shave mac "Silvertip"
Pic 2 is my D01 3 band silvertip.
Every pic I've ever seen of a "reg" silver tip (as oppose to 2 or 3 band), has 3 bands to my eyes. See Saville row page of silvertip brushes for example. What am i missing?

f2022_97_full.jpg
20180505_191507.jpg

From the socket of the handle up.

Count the different colored bands.

Light
Dark
Light

Three band.
Most Silvertip are three band.

Two band brushes also have three bands of colored areas. Usually- the lower level of light colored hair is inside the socket of the handle.

Light
Dark
Light

Three band.

Two band brushes also have three bands of colored areas. Usually- the lower level of light colored hair is inside the socket of the handle.

Interesting.. I get how to count bands...i was just under the impression that it went silver tip, 2 band, 3 band.. as in there was a difference between silver tip with no "band" designation and 3 band.. When i bought my shavemac knot, the shavemac website had them listed a s 3 separate options

thanks

Light
Dark
Light

Three band.

+2! Yes indeed!

Not all three band is silvertip. Most best is three band as well. Pure may not show any bands at all depending on how they accumulated and used the hair to make the knot. To add to the confusion there is also some two band silvertip.

i think the confusion is
1. people talk about 3 band and sliver tip as if they were different things
2. i'm pretty sure on shavemac's website they had it listed as 2 different item.
On my invoice, it specifically lists "3 band". If 3 band was just standard badger, and "2 band" was something different/special/whatever. Seems like the on the invoice it should read:
"Badger type: Silvertip D01" or "Badger type: Silvertip D01 2 Band" (no need to call out 3 band)

Capture.PNG

Top Bottom