What's new

Is a Stainless Steel Razor Head Necessary?

All my razors heads are alloy coated(I think) with chrome or nickel.

What I was curious about is that stainless steel razors are reputed to last forever.

How long does a regular alloy and nickel or Chrome plated razor head last?

Aside from snobbery what other Advantage is there to a stainless steel razor head.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to spring for a stainless steel razor?

Depends on how well you treat them. The biggest concern with a zamak razor imo is the material used for the threads. That is the most likely fail point. Muhle switched over to brass threads on their R89.

I have a EJ 89 R and the Merkur 34c both zamak heads for over 5 years, never had a problem with any of zamak heads. I try to be careful not dropping them and get handles that are not smooth and have good grip. I will admit, they are not like my old razors that are all brass and nickle coated

What I was curious about is that stainless steel razors are reputed to last forever.

Aside from snobbery what other Advantage is there to a stainless steel razor head.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to spring for a stainless steel razor?

Some steel head razors like the Gamechangers are very reasonably priced, and there are certainly some fantastic steel "luxury" razors, and if they interest you and can afford them, are worth exploring. However, steel heads or even handles are hardly necessary for a quality razor with longevity.

Keep in mind that all those great Gillette razors from the 1940's through the 1960's that people love are mostly brass and aluminum, not steel.

Steel is generally also heavier, and some people don't like the added weight.

I got rid of my zamak razors except the new Gillette, which I don't use. I have a bronze timeless, and a fourth gen Brit aristocrat that I use, and, a handful of old Gillette's and a couple of shick's I don't. I like de/r 89's, just fine. Never had one fail on me, I just like the timeless and aristocrat better. I second the game changer. I want one, but, haven't got one yet. I really like the barber pole handle, but, then so does everyone else so they are hard to come by. Other handles are available. If I was still poor, I would be using the EJ, heritage Gillette or a vintage razor still.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There are chrome plated and nickel plated brass razors still in use from many decades ago. Brass and bronze razors will darken if not kept polished, but will last quite a long time as well. Chrome plated zamak will eventually fail, but they should last several years if not damaged.

The choice of aluminum, titanium, stainless, brass, bronze and plated Zamak depends upon your preference for weight and your wallet. Personally, I like heavier razors, so no aluminum or titanium for me. I have stainless, brass, and Zamak razors. I hope to pass the stainless and brass razors to my heirs one day. The Zamak razors will probably end up in recycle.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I didn't know that I was a snob because I don't have or want Zamak Razors .
I have Vintage Gillette Razors that are all pretty much plated over Brass .
But My favorite Razor is a Titanium Timeless that Shaves my face smoother and more efficient than anything else that I have ever used.

Stainless is certainly not necessary, but it is better. Most zamak razors will last many years or even decades so I don’t really buy into the longevity argument all that much. A stainless razor is pretty invincible, though. They can take drops better, they are a bit heavier, they are typically more consistent (fewer casting/finishing defects), tighter tolerances, and you can always polish them if the finish needs to be spruced up. Having said that, zamak is just fine and for the money you can keep buying one every decade or so easily. The choice is about whether or not you find stainless to be worth your money. It’s not about snobbery. Okay, it’s mostly not about snobbery.

I like brass razors the most, such as a vintage Tech and a newer Fatip. I have a few zamak razor heads such as a German 37 and SLOC and they are totally fine. My oldest zamak head is a Merkur that is over a dozen years old now. The finish is a little worse for wear, but it's still perfectly functional.

Uh noooooope’
And since there is a huge classic razor aficionados grouping overhere using even 100year old razors without being revamped that pudding has been eaten and it is proved.

Is stainless a beautiful material yes it is!
Does it shave better? Not sure my stainless head razors are more efficient and sometimes they glide better as the same in alluminium.
And I prefer heavy razors.
OTOH pretty sure my qshave is cheap rubbish and that shaves pretty nice. Just a nice hefty razor.

So for me a draw

For me the answer is no.

If you want to spend the money on stainless it's your money, they look nice and the one's I've used work well.

I use only vintage razors that are brass and several are over 100 years old and going strong.

Stainless is certainly not necessary, but it is better. Most zamak razors will last many years or even decades so I don’t really buy into the longevity argument all that much. A stainless razor is pretty invincible, though. They can take drops better, they are a bit heavier, they are typically more consistent (fewer casting/finishing defects), tighter tolerances, and you can always polish them if the finish needs to be spruced up. Having said that, zamak is just fine and for the money you can keep buying one every decade or so easily. The choice is about whether or not you find stainless to be worth your money. It’s not about snobbery. Okay, it’s mostly not about snobbery.
Well said. My stainless razors happen to be my favorites. Perhaps it's because of their tolerances.

To me, it's about features, value and what gives the best shave. I learned I prefer covered blade tabs. I like close tolerances for blade alignment. I like the durability of stainless and not having to worry about the plating wearing off. And I learned I didn't have to choose one way or the other based on cost. My stainless razor was at the same price point as my HD34C when I bought it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Definitely not necessary. Give the only difference as the material you'd be just fine as long as you don't drop yours.

There are some stainless steel razors that are made to higher standards and many find them preferable - but not simply because of the material.

If you like your razor you should continue to enjoy it with no qualms.

Definitely not necessary. Give the only difference as the material you'd be just fine as long as you don't drop yours.

There are some stainless steel razors that are made to higher standards and many find them preferable - but not simply because of the material.

If you like your razor you should continue to enjoy it with no qualms.

Agreed.

The main reason to consider an expensive artisan razor is design and precision machining. I like razors in which the blades align perfectly every time. I like razors that hold the blade securely with little or no chatter. That may or may not happen with plated Zamak razors.

The main reason to consider an expensive artisan razor is design and precision machining. I like razors in which the blades align perfectly every time. I like razors that hold the blade securely with little or no chatter. That may or may not happen with plated Zamak razors.

I'm with Ray. After using a CNC machined razor, it's hard for me to go back to a plated Zamak razor.

As mentioned previously, if your threads are brass like on the Mühle heads made in the last few years, you’re ok. My DE89 has thread rot but the cap and baseplate are perfect and about a decade old.

The Variant is an adjustable example of a zamack cap with brass threads. TTOs with zamack baseplates are fine too. Just don’t drop zamack razors.

No but it's nice to have one for durability and weight purposes.. and there are many great SS designs out there as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

No.

Top Bottom