What's new

Is a 12k enough

Is it enough to refresh an edge using slurry, i have a coti if necessary but id rather use the 12k first for obvious reasons, my ti is starting to drag as even my gd gives a better shave atm.

Btw is it natural to be nervy honing a historical razor, the gd i couldn't give a monkeys about but with the ti i can't seem to stop shaking, i've had no coffee neither.

Last edited:
Ok all sorted the 12k wasn't enough all it did was sharpen it a fraction, took it back to a slurried coti and did 20 or so gentle laps, finished off on the 12k a few laps on the linen and slowly and gently stropped it on bridle leather.

I could feel the edge getting finer as i progressed, they really do get fragile the sharper you go anyway the thing is now back to it's former self if not better.

You really need to get to know your coticule. You should be able to do a touchup using a light slurry and diluting to water, but ever coticule is a bit different.

Yeah some light slurry was all i used, it was what i felt was needed any more would have been excessive for a touch up imo.

Im gradually figuring out this honing business i could use a 4k stone though for when i wish to go futher back anyway for now im happy, haven't shave tested it but it feels very sharp to me, it's quite an easy razor to hone anyway.

Well i decided to do that in the end 12k wasn't enough sure it was sharp but im that stubbly that a razor has to be super sharp to stand a chance.

Anyway all done now and im quite happy where it is.

Yeah some light slurry was all i used, it was what i felt was needed any more would have been excessive for a touch up imo.

Im gradually figuring out this honing business i could use a 4k stone though for when i wish to go futher back anyway for now im happy, haven't shave tested it but it feels very sharp to me, it's quite an easy razor to hone anyway.
Bart's website says that a coticule with regular milkly slurry is cutting like a 4K, so I think going to a 4K would be redundant.

Very true but i don't like having to whip up that much slurry to get the job done id rather use the coti for touching up as i love the way it works.

Heck, you can shave pretty well off of an 8K. Quite honestly I tried a 10K Naniwa and like it more than the 12K or Chinese 12K. I'm still experimenting with the coticule with just water though.

Top Bottom