What's new

Introducing.... the Utilikilt!

I have a large, ornate kilt pin that I attach to part of the kilt "flap" and it helps keep the wind from doing much more than chilling my knees. :biggrin:

I thought kilt pins were considered a major faux pas / bastardization for kilt wearers.

I thought kilt pins were considered a major faux pas / bastardization for kilt wearers.

If you actually pit the pin through the kilt and close the two pieces together yes it is! Usually though the pin is just used as a weight that holds the flap down simply because its on the upper piece of material, you can peel it back but its heavy enough to defeat the breeze.

Sporran my friends its called a sporran, originally created to hide any embarrassing situations that " arose" if you get my drift. They are a nice pocket and very pretty..err I mean manly. Sometimes they have silver caps or even animal hair for decoration.Could it be.....badger hair?

Badger hair sporrans were quite popular in the past, along with other furs such as Otter. Recent laws have made it illegal to make sporrans out of these materials. Older sporrans are 'grandfathered in', however it may be necessary to prove that one's otter or badger hair sporran was manufactured prior to a certain date.

Perhaps someone could put together a "Scot's Shaving Sporran": A badger hair sporran containing a badger brush, tube of cream, and a razor. If all else fails and you lose your brush, you can just rub your sporran on your face!

if youve never actually worn a kilt (instead of a tux) do yourself a favour and try one out. I wear one for formal occasions, and now ive seen casual wear kilt, I just have to crack out the credit card and get it.

As a former (and hopefully future, once I'm not so poor) kilt wearer, this is for those that would question the manlihood of a kilt:

Utilikilts Mockumercial

just click on the "Round 2 1st place" to the right.

For the record, I've been receiving the Utilikilts newsletter for around 5 years now, and have wanted one for a long time. Ever since I had to give my kilt back when I quit the bagpipe band, I've missed it. I've still got my sporran, sgian dubh, hose, flashings, and ghillies though, although that might be another thread. Maybe when I get married.....

Oh, and the Workmans holds a whole six-pack.....

I'm aquainted with someone who does wear those Utilikilts on a regular basis, He's almost seven feet tall. He helps sell them at the local Dublin Irish Festival every year, Utilikilt has their own booth there. He not only likes the product, he also likes the company because they treat their workers very well.

I think I'll get fitted for one when the next Irish Festival rolls around in August.

I have one utilikilt in night watch cameo, and about 9 other assorted from sport kilts, stillwater kilts and one hand taylored by Hector Russell in Edinburgh, Scotland. That will always be my favorite, plus it is in my clan tartan of Anderson.

They are all brilliant garments much better suited to the male anatomy.

Yes I wear them frequently.

Remember a man in a kilt is a man and a half!!!!

-80s

I like the Sportkilts which are actually from a different company. My paternal grandparents came from Scotland and I own a Sportkilt in our family tartan. I love it. These are kilts that are much cheaper compared to a traditional kilt which can easily exceed $300. One day I'll buy a proper kilt. As far as a black or camo utili-kilt, nah.

I go to the local Scottish Festival and Highland games every so often and the sporrans made from bobcat or fox heads are actually very nice looking.

I like 'em! :biggrin:

proxy.php

I'm a drummer in a bagpipe band, so I am quite familiar with kilts. I keep trying to get our pipe major to swich from the heavy wool McGregor we wear to a utilikilt in desert camo. He also won't let us use Resistol hats for parades! It is Arizona folks.
Best thing about the utilikilt is that if you get the carpenter's model you can carry a sixpack of longnecks.

Top Bottom