What's new

Scout drone?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've bought two of these things for other people, finally broke down and bought a Holy Stone HS440, an entry-level drone.

HS440.jpg

At present, I have no time for another hobby or toy ... but. Who doesn't have use for a set of eyes in the sky? I plan to take this little guy hiking, and use it to fly over thick brush areas. Satellite photos cannot tell you everything; one time of day, strong shadows etc. You can never have enough intel.

This Holy Stone has good reviews, was cheap enough ($70) to determine if I have the need for a better one.

If you have a drone, what do you use it for? Just to have fun is enough, of course. Tx.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Holy Stone F181 that I've had for a few years. It worked for awhile, but it got where I had to go online and look up different sequences of steps to get it started. Now I can't get it started at all. I hope you have better luck with yours.

I've been looking at DJI. Took their test for what I would use it for and it recommended one for $1,200, which is not their most expensive one. I've heard they are a very good brand.

I have the entry level to entry level drone. I don’t recall the model off hand, but it had decent reviews if one didn’t have high expectations. It was better than a toy, but hard to control. It did, however, confirm my interest in drones and I hope to get a decent one in the future, ideally something with an automatic follow mode.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
When mine worked I used it for roof and gutter inspections...along with just fun. It's so light that if a small breeze kicked up it was blown around and you couldn't control it.

I'll probably get a DJI one pretty soon. Was thinking about using it for scouting for game during movement periods. There are many and varied uses for one.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks. ☕ I'm learning drone disaster stories are common, too. Have a new respect for these things.

I did lose a toy drone already, a couple of weeks ago. It was actually pretty funny, but. 🤔 Wind took the little fella over water... Where there was more wind. The one control that did respond was altitude, so up we went. 💨 It was even MORE windy aloft, apparently. 🌬️ Its tiny little motors spun valiantly, yet ultimately in vain. When it finally hit the water out in the shipping channel it made a nice splash. A wiser idiot "pilot" walked away.

For this Holy Stone... 🤔 Thinking local park or ballfield. On a flat calm day.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Drone Fail" videos indicate these things are like golf balls: don't get used to one, they all have a date with the water. Up north, trees.

AA

Top Bottom