What's new

International Battle of the Blades PIF

Welcome to the 2013 International Battle of the Blades™ (iBOB) and PIF!

Background:
I have been on a quest to find the best blade FOR ME. (Please bear in mind that MMMV)
In my 5 months of DE shaving, I have acquired a vault filled with samples of 22 of the world’s finest blades.
With the help of both my lovely wife - who will randomize and load the blades - and a wet-shaving co-worker – who will help with posting here - I am embarking on an embarrassingly unscientific blind test of 22 blades.

The Prize:
I will be giving away as a PIF any shaving item that can be shipped to the winner for under $17 (US) dollars. I know right? $17 WHOLE DOLLARS! ANY ITEM. INCREDIBLE! A puck of Wool Fat? You betcha! 100 Astras? Yup! Whatever your shaving heart desires.
Well almost.

But before you say, “I’m in” and spend the rest of your day in a woozy stupor, marveling at my almost boundless generosity, there are some things you will have to realize.
The good news? Sure, the princely sum of 17 simoleons is burning a hole in my pocket.
The bad news? It will have to burn for a while.
More good news? (Edit to add another ridiculously extravagant prize.) Toothpick, curator of the B&B Great Blade Exchange ( http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/332992-The-Great-Blade-Exchange-2013 ) has generously offered to "sweeten the pot" by adding 20 blades, 2 each of 10 different kinds, of the the winner's choosing. Thanks toothpick!

How you win:
Here is how you win this tediously long PIF.
First, you must endure the rest of this wordy and parenthetically dense post.
Then your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to pick which 4 blades emerge victorious at the end of the blind-test tunnel. There is a list below of the blade contestants and you merely need to pick 4 and post your selection, in order, in this thread (for additional fun, but not required you can post which item (under $17 shipped) you dream of acquiring (you may always change your mind later should you prove yourself the most prescient of B&Bers)).

Scoring:
You will be given a point for guessing any of the “final four”. (I reserve the right to break ties in any way I see fit, but it will probably come down to who guessed more accurately my final preference order. There may not be 4 blades that make it through, there may be more than 4. As always in this contest, please bear in mind that MMMV and I’ll endeavor to be as fair as I can).
If someone posts the same 4 blades in the same order as a previous poster, the first poster will be the winner so try your darnedest to post an original entry. This contest, like this post, is likely to take a good while; I suspect this may go on to the end of the year. On the other hand it (again, like this post) may be over in a month. It is hard to tell at this point. So if the winner is inactive at the close of the contest, I’ll move on to the next in line to award the enormous prize. Additionally I reserve the right to give up the contest at any time and do a random draw for a winner as my personal circumstances warrant.
I will announce in this thread when guessing/entry period is over. And my work-mate or I will post a new thread for discussion at that time should anyone want to talk about the contest results behind my back…
So off you go! Choose 4 blades from the list of 22 below, put them in order and GL!
More in subsequent posts to help you choose if you can endure a further wall of type…

One last item. I’d like to thank Toothpick for running the B&B Blade Exchange – a wonderful blade resource which we should all use and support. I’d also like to thank Recluse for a fine PIF-gift of 6 of the most expensive and difficult to acquire blades. Lastly MCE00771, my co-worker for giving me a range of 7 O'Clocks. GL!

Last edited:
The list of blades:
Crystal SP
Personna Red IP
Personna Med
Personna Lab
Gillette 7 O’C Black SP
Gillette 7 O’C Yellow
Gillette 7 O’C Green SS
Gillette Silver Blue
Sputnik SP
Voskhod
Rapira SS
Astra SP
Polsilver SI
Perma-Sharp Super
Kai
Feather
Derby
Bluebird
Lord SS
Lord Platinum
Wilkinson Sword (wal-mart)
Merkur

Last edited:
More information for those who want it, but you don't really need to read this...

I plan on my co-worker starting another thread for discussion of the winners and losers blade-wise. I will post reviews there, but I won’t know which blades and I won’t read the thread until the contest is over. Feel free to trash any opinion I give on the blades or to root for your team. My co-worker will post the key to deciphering the real blade identity in the other thread as well and I will not see it.

So you must be asking yourself, “How did this obviously wealthy and cultured Epicurean arrive at the almost embarrassingly huge figure of $17 greenbacks? “
Well since you asked, I originally intended to give a tin of Mike’s Soap (scent of the winner’s choosing) to the lucky victor, but then it occurred to me that this contest is about blades, so maybe a 100 pack of Astras would be a more appropriate prize. Then I figured, why not let the contestant pick his blades. But, even as opulently fixed as I am, I can’t afford 100 Kais…. I figured if I set a price limit, then the winner gets his choice of prize. If you win and you want Feathers, and you find a reliable source that can ship you 50 Feathers for $17, then they are yours -or a tin of Mikes -or a BST Superspeed -or an Omega Boar brush. The point is, it is up to the lucky winner as to how he/she spends up to $17 on one, and only one, item. Also the $17 dollar figure should allow me to send a prize to non-CONUS folks provided I feel comfy giving electronic access to my vast credit reserves to their preferred vendor.

In order to help you guess, I’ll tell you my general shaving habits and what I have liked so far in my journey.
I plan to shave two separate days with each blade in the first round unless they don’t pass the ATG neck test at all and they are discarded out of hand.
Second round will either be one or two shaves, TBD based on the number of blades moving forward…

In general, blades will be judged on Closeness, Smoothness and Irritation.
ATG on the neck will be a MAJOR determinant of success for a blade because that is where I run into the most trouble.
I will use a 1960 Flair tip as the official contest razor.
I will use MWF as the official contest soap.
I will use Proraso White ASB following each shave.
I will also have on hand a Gillette Slim, set on 4, with a fresh Feather in it as a reference razor. This will be used solely if I encounter trouble with a blade in the contest razor. I will then use the Slim/Feather and if the trouble persists, I’ll mark it down to bad prep, bad lather, or just a bad day and give the contest razor another shot the next shave. If the Feather shaves normally then I trash the contest blade and move on to a new contestant the next shave. Why a Feather? I like Feathers. I’ve been using them for the last few months almost exclusively in order to make my shaving technique less laughably bloody.
The field will be narrowed in the first round of two shaves. Then the blades will be re-used for the second (and hopefully final) round. This second round will introduce the longevity/durability factor to the contest.
As far as blade preferences go, I have liked almost everything I’ve tried.
In fact, I liked Derbys. But I’ve only shaved with two, and that was a while ago.
I wasn’t as mad for Astras as the rest of this community seems to be, but I didn’t dislike them either. And again, that was a fair bit of time and about a quart of blood ago. I’m better now.
The truth is, I’ve liked a lot of blades, so I am TOTALLY unsure of how this is going to turn out. It may not “turn out” at all and I will be left with the usual random number generation.
My only strong suspicion is that Feathers will be in there, but there is no guarantee of that. It is a blind test after all. And I worry about their longevity in round 2…
GL

If you want to make me very happy and get extra credit, give a nice compliment to 5 people who deserve it in real life. And make it a good one. I realized at a very tender age that there is no compliment so outrageous that the receiver doesn’t want to believe it in their heart of hearts. People never tire of hearing how good they are. That way everyone wins in this PIF.

I'm in. Thanks for the opportunity.
PolSilver SI
Gillette 7 O'clock Black
Astra SP
Personna Med

I long for a puck of Mystic Waters soap.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'll play too, just for fun.

Voskhod
Feather
Gillette yellow
Polsilver SI

I'm happy the blade exchange could help you out with this fun journey!

This sounds like fun.

Feathers
Personna Med Prep
Crystal (I presume these are the ones that say 'made in Israel' in blue when you open em)
And for the wildcard--Derby, which you may or may not be misremembering!

If selected due to my ability to See Into the Future, my requested item is 'miscellaneous blade assortment' so I can test drive some of these things myself.

I will play, and put in the same order I would rank them since you seem as smart as me. :001_smile

Voskhod
Polsilver SI
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Persona Med

OK, count me in on this most generous of PIFs. I look forward to spending these vast unexpected riches on a nice new Omega boar brush.

The vibrations in the ether are informing me that your final list will be as follows:

1. Feather
2. Personna Med
3. Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
4. Polsilver SI

I look forward to receiving my reward some time next Spring.

Ok my guesses:

Permasharp
Polsilver SI
Personna Med
Lord Platinum

My ideal prize would be a puck of MWF, a soap that I still haven't tried yet.

Top Bottom