What's new

Interesting....

I've read about it, and I realize it's 'normal' - but this is the first GS I've owned that did it.

IMG_2883.JPG

I have a gs500 that will not cut if I lap it on sandpaper, but on diamonds it behaves fine. The whole surface literally smears into ineffective nothingness on wet dry. Never saw the beading though.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
My 320 beaded water like that until I lapped the bloody hell out of it. Run some steel over it now and watch how quickly it loads up.

@SliceOfLife - we're looking at serious hydrophobic action on a shapton glass stone.

I have a good number of glass stones, this is the first one I've owned to do this. I read about it years ago and thought it was a myth. Apparently not.
My 320x GS was loving water right outta the box. That stone, btw, has been seeing a ton of action and it might be on its way to being my new best friend.
Yep, the water beading up like that stops after lapping. The grid was gone in 4-5 passes on the Atoma and then the stone behaved as expected.

This is the 6k HC - I have also had the 8k HC and still have the 4k HC - neither behaved the same. People reporting this in the past did not have HC stones.

I don't think the water beading will return, I am certain it is due to a factory surface polish/treatment.

They might be using some sort of oil in the flattening process which remains on the surface of the stone.

I was thinking along those lines - my first thought was that maybe it's from a release agent in a mold or something.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That was on a new 220 grit Shapton glass. I ran an old blade across it for a few minutes (didn't lap it) and then let it dry. Just put some water on it and it's not beading anymore. Whatever it is, it's a really thin coat.

Mine took a bit of lapping to remove it entirely. Could be due to surface polishing combined with the makeup of the binder.

Top Bottom