What's new

Interesting Conversation In the Shave Aisle

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Now, we are just missing a post saying "Hey, that was me and my mate!" :lol: Good work!

I did have a conversation with a man quite some time ago, about a straight razor I happened to have in my possession. Explaining just how truely sharp the blade was. It didn't have the affect of steering him towards wet shaving but rather wetting other areas.:eek:

Terry

I'm just glad I've grabbed up most of the vintage gillettes here in the Little Rock area and been able to subsequently keep half and sell the other half I've acquired to fellow members here in on the BST for fair prices mostly equal to or less than what I paid for them...it's really become an honor to be a part of such a community and be part of a tradition among many men living and passed...the old ways were simpler, yet better...before 'science' tried to make the shave 'better'...it just becamse faster...not more streamlined or better...I'm very thankful to have found some of the razors that I have around town...i'm very thankful to have found them new deserving homes through the BST...and I'm also very thankful to have found BnB...

+1. I want one if you guys ever make one. The question is, how do we formulate the 'conversion' statement?

We could have a contest with another Speicktacular giveaway for the best submission. That out of date thread on the front page needs to be replaced.

Here's my submission, although it needs a good clear picture of a razor and shaving brush. The slogan is Wet Yourself.

Last edited:
I've had a grand total of one real "conversion" type conversation, with a friend and a stranger at a party. The subject came up when shopping in Germany was mentioned, and I replied that I'd asked my brother to get me some shaving soap.....

The gent I'd just met derided wet shaving as a complete waste of time. It was strange, I hadn't advocated at all and he was pretty hostile towards it. He was old enough to remember it when it was the norm, and derided shaving with a safety razor as a "horse and buggy stunt".

I replied that I enjoyed it and that I got closer shaves that lasted longer with less irratation, and one of the ladies (who I was aquainted with) at the party who was listening in asked when I had shaved last. I told her the night before, and she said her husband's electric seemed to leave him prickly after a short time, and then she asked if she could feel my face.

I was a little taken aback, but I agreed, and before I knew it I had four rather attractive women checking my shave out.

If that moment could be distilled down to a "conversion statement" it would be a pretty good one.

I have one conversion under my belt. I work with a guy who was having a real issue with "bumps". We talked about wet shaving and how it helped my skin. I brought him a tech and pointed him to a good cheap soap. As far as I know he continues to wet shave. I know his issues with "bumps" have been far less obvious.

I replied that I enjoyed it and that I got closer shaves that lasted longer with less irratation, and one of the ladies (who I was aquainted with) at the party who was listening in asked when I had shaved last. I told her the night before, and she said her husband's electric seemed to leave him prickly after a short time, and then she asked if she could feel my face.

I was a little taken aback, but I agreed, and before I knew it I had four rather attractive women checking my shave out.

If that moment could be distilled down to a "conversion statement" it would be a pretty good one.
That conversation should be distilled down to a YouTube video ... it would become an instant classic, and draw as much attention to wet-shaving as the Mantic59 series.

I'm just glad I've grabbed up most of the vintage gillettes here in the Little Rock area and been able to subsequently keep half and sell the other half I've acquired to fellow members here in on the BST for fair prices mostly equal to or less than what I paid for them...it's really become an honor to be a part of such a community and be part of a tradition among many men living and passed...the old ways were simpler, yet better...before 'science' tried to make the shave 'better'...it just becamse faster...not more streamlined or better...I'm very thankful to have found some of the razors that I have around town...i'm very thankful to have found them new deserving homes through the BST...and I'm also very thankful to have found BnB...

Well said, sir.

It is gentlemen like yourself that keep me coming back to this site day after day.

I make shaving soap. When people ask and I tell them invariably someone uses the old fashioned term. Little do they know.

The UPS and FedEx guys are at my house on a regular basis doing deliveries. The UPS guy is about the same age and asked me what I do one day. I told him about my soaps and out came the old fashioned phrase. I told him to wait a minute and went back in the house and got him a cake. He said he hadn't seen on of "those" in years. About the third time after that he wanted to know where one gets a DE and blades "these" days.

The FedEx guy, who's in his 20's, surprised me when he asked me what was in the heavy boxes. When he found out I make shave soap he asked if he could get a sample and launched into a monologue about the soaps he's tried and would like to try.

You just never know.

Yeah baby,yeah!:wink:

That conversation should be distilled down to a YouTube video ... it would become an instant classic, and draw as much attention to wet-shaving as the Mantic59 series.

More!:thumbup:

marty

V

VR6ofpain

I was talking to one of my processors (she is in her early 30's) at work about the decline of manufacturing in the US and asked her about Russia (she grew up there). She said it was actually building back up in some areas and I mentioned that the razor blades I used for shaving were produced in St. Petersburg. She looked at me surprised and I mentioned they were the older "flat" double edge style (I didn't try saying DE as I know they sould be confused). She looked at me kind of strange and said, "you use those?". I replied that I did and I even used some straight razors from time to time. She thought it was very interesting, and when I indicated that most of the world still considers the DE a viable shaving tool, so agreed. Another processor of mine (she is in her late 30's) mentioned her father using an old mug and brush. I said I use the same stuff and she started laughing.

It was kind of funny. I think they were surprised this young guy (I'm 27) used their "father's tools" for shaving.

That is the goal! :devil:

We say it as a joke, but think about how friggin great it would be if it really did happen! If all guys in the states started DE shaving, all of those razor blades, DE razors, lather shave creams (Old spice, Nivea, Palmolive, etc.) and brushes that are available in Europe, India, etc. would HAVE to become available here in the states! It'd be awesome!

Top Bottom