What's new

Injector question

Wow a lot of options. My search for a L starts , as I have weirdly sensitive skin. Best to go mild then work my way up.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow a lot of options. My search for a L starts , as I have weirdly sensitive skin. Best to go mild then work my way up.

proxy.php

Look into maybe using the TWIN blades. The photo is of a NOS Type L with TWIN blades which I just found on eBay. Link. Not saying you should buy this one of course, but it's a nice example. And should be at that price, right?

proxy.php

Various vendors, mostly in Japan, sell the TWIN blades. Here's one example. Link. Not saying this is the place to buy the TWIN blades.

The TWIN blades are expensive, but I can make one last many many many shaves (and I have a tough beard). The Schick Chick blades are also great, but the TWIN blades may be the best razor blades ever.

proxy.php

These are the Schick Chick blades. Link.

The Type L uses both types of blades.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The only thing I can add on the blades is with the Chinese Schick blades they have a break in period of a shave or 2 before they become much smoother. Seems they coat them after they put on the edge so they can be a little rough until you scrap off the excess coating through shaving. If you find that the case then you could eject the blade out the key first and palm strop or cork the blade before first use then reload it back in the injector key.

Other thing injectors are meant to be loaded with a blade or blank in them. If the razor isn't loaded prior when you put the first blade in you might ruin the edge of it if it scraps across the blade stops. If you don't have a spare blade and it isn't loaded don't use the first blade you inject into the razor to shave with. After putting it in eject it out with a new blade and use that. You can reuse that initial blade as blank if you take the edge of it and then put it in the razor manually later on if you don't like to keep spent blades in the razor until ready to reload.

proxy.php

Look into maybe using the TWIN blades. The photo is of a NOS Type L with TWIN blades which I just found on eBay. Link. Not saying you should buy this one of course, but it's a nice example. And should be at that price, right?

proxy.php

Various vendors, mostly in Japan, sell the TWIN blades. Here's one example. Link. Not saying this is the place to buy the TWIN blades.

The TWIN blades are expensive, but I can make one last many many many shaves (and I have a tough beard). The Schick Chick blades are also great, but the TWIN blades may be the best razor blades ever.

proxy.php

These are the Schick Chick blades. Link.

The Type L uses both types of blades.

Happy shaves,

Jim

FWIW, when I started shaving, I got a Schick Adjustable with twin blades from a discount store. At that time, the only injector blades available locally were the twin blades. Coincidentally or not, I had a problem with hair bumps that persisted until I changed razors and how I lathered my face. The lather may have been the most significant factor, as later I used the Schick as a travel razor without hair bump problems. Be that as it may, it did happen, and the closeness of the blade + razor setting may have been a factor.

Please note than I'm not bad-mouthing the twin blades. Wouldn't mind trying them again. It's just that they do give closer shaves, and for sensitive skin might cause more irritation. That would hold true for any twin blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Use a very light touch.

Captain of the Obvious (meme).jpg

Use the razor at a steep angle. Doing so solves lots of problems.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

Nobody has to use TWIN blades. The Chicks are excellent (not so excellent in the first half of the first shave, but they improve). I can make a Chick last forever in my E-2, and still get great shaves with the blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’m torn between two of my injectors. I am partial to my G-4 with a Chick blade or my N-1 with the twin blade. Yes, the G-4 gives a very good shave. It’s close and comfortable, but an N, O, or it’s clone with that twin blade gives a simply remarkable shave. The twin blade is incredibly sharp and long lasting. I can get 70+ shaves from it on my coarse 75 year old face. But i like the short handle on the G.

After using my Type L Clone, finally cleaned and used my Schick Adjustable. I use the same blades in both. The Schick feels like a smoother shaver than the clone. Still not sure why, unless it's the safety bar.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After using my Type L Clone, finally cleaned and used my Schick Adjustable. I use the same blades in both. The Schick feels like a smoother shaver than the clone. Still not sure why, unless it's the safety bar.
I'm curious what setting you had your Schick adjustable set at? The L is a nice razor, I have a stick Schick L with a Twin II blade on shave 21 and it still a good performer and I also tried the L with a Schick blade and it performed well before installing the Twin blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Used at a steep angle I find no difference in the settings on the Schick adjustables. At a shallow angle the settings make a significant difference.

I'm curious what setting you had your Schick adjustable set at? The L is a nice razor, I have a stick Schick L with a Twin II blade on shave 21 and it still a good performer and I also tried the L with a Schick blade and it performed well before installing the Twin blade.

Setting 7, with a single edge Chinese Schick. That was my old setting, but when I started back with it a few years ago, I started at 1 and worked my way up.

Used at a steep angle I find no difference in the settings on the Schick adjustables. At a shallow angle the settings make a significant difference.

Interesting observation. Wondered about that this morning. The gap on the Type L Clone is narrower than Setting 7 on the adjustable. Eyeballing it, the Type L Clone looks to be around the Setting 3 gap.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting observation. Wondered about that this morning. The gap on the Type L Clone is narrower than Setting 7 on the adjustable. Eyeballing it, the Type L Clone looks to be around the Setting 3 gap.

I have the Schick L-3 (and several other Schicks and the ebarbershop Type O clone) but not the Type L clone. With all of them, at a steep angle, I think the gap doesn't matter at all.

That's just my opinion but it's based on observation.

The Schick Adjustable can open up to what appears to be a scary gap, but like my MingShi (Futur clone), it's a kitten.

While there's some difference in using a Schick-Twin over one of the Chinese Schick blades, it isn't huge, but does make it even a bit more efficient. Not sure they're worth the extra $$ over the cheaper single blades. Pretty much BBS in two passes on the blade's maiden voyage last week. with a small weeper over the right side of the mustache area, where I got a little too zealous. (Had the small spot of stubborn stubble, and was determined to excise it, along with a few too many skin cells).

If there's one gripe with the Injectors, it's that they don't hold much lather. Single sided, small head, nowhere really for the lather to go. There's a whole lot of rinsing over the course of a shave, more so than any other razor I own. Even the OneBlade has somewhere for the lather to go, taking less rinsing. The shave itself, at least with my Adjustable is darn good, and fairly easy, at least with the M1 Adjustable. (The G1 is a bit different story, that bad boy isn't as smooth with a Chinese Schick blade as the adjustable, even set all the way up).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Schick Adjustable can open up to what appears to be a scary gap, but like my MingShi (Futur clone), it's a kitten.

While there's some difference in using a Schick-Twin over one of the Chinese Schick blades, it isn't huge, but does make it even a bit more efficient. Not sure they're worth the extra $$ over the cheaper single blades. Pretty much BBS in two passes on the blade's maiden voyage last week. with a small weeper over the right side of the mustache area, where I got a little too zealous. (Had the small spot of stubborn stubble, and was determined to excise it, along with a few too many skin cells).

If there's one gripe with the Injectors, it's that they don't hold much lather. Single sided, small head, nowhere really for the lather to go. There's a whole lot of rinsing over the course of a shave, more so than any other razor I own. Even the OneBlade has somewhere for the lather to go, taking less rinsing. The shave itself, at least with my Adjustable is darn good, and fairly easy, at least with the M1 Adjustable. (The G1 is a bit different story, that bad boy isn't as smooth with a Chinese Schick blade as the adjustable, even set all the way up).
Makes some sense about not holding as much lather & it adds a few extra swipes in the rinse bowl as you mentioned.
I will add that with my Schick razors when it's in my hand & easy technique to figure out and know it's potential even with a few extra rinses I will complete a shave faster than any of my other razors by a minute or two. The carefree shave with end results CCS,DFS,BBS range are consistent, I still like to use my other razors also but if were after result driven conclusions it will give a lot of razors a kick in the ......:yikes::rolleyes:
Have some great shaves!

I think you’re correct about the safety bar on the L clone. It’s a nice razor but that safety bar is a little coarse making the shave harsh.

I get a great shave from a type N. I tried a type L Twinjector but liked the N better. The N was less harsh for me.

Top Bottom