What's new

Information about this Gillette England razor

Hi all,

I have this razor that i took from my father as he has grown beard now.
$gilletteengland.jpg

Out of curiosity I searched for it on the net but couldn't find any useful information/reviews about it.
Please let me know the exact name of this razor and details about its aggressiveness.
As I want to switch to a three piece merkur razor, Please also tell me how aggressive it would be as compared to a merkur 23c/180#

I believe Gillette G1000 DE razors were also made during 1980's (till late 1990s) with А-T letters which showed the year of production (A for 1980, B for 1981, etc.). So J-3 could be a mark that shows it was made in the 3rd quarter of 1989.

In my experience G1000 is a mild and good shaver if you use at least a decent blade (a bit more aggressive compared to 1960's English aluminum Tech).

I believe Gillette G1000 DE razors were also made during 1980's (till late 1990s) with А-T letters which showed the year of production (A for 1980, B for 1981, etc.). So J-3 could be a mark that shows it was made in the 3rd quarter of 1989.

In my experience G1000 is a mild and good shaver if you use at least a decent blade (a bit more aggressive compared to 1960's English aluminum Tech).
You may be right, the Knack and its British twin the Slim/Twist was made in late 1966. So this J-3 date is most likely a 1989 razor.The British patent #694097 has the date of 1969, so it can not be a 1964 because they were not made yet.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your responses. To me it seems quite aggressive razor, as I have been using local Pakistani made Treet starline TTO razors all the time. I think this Treet starline is an exact copy of feather tto with black handle.
I always used this treet starline razor with the Gillette paltinum blades (blue pack) that are made in Russia. I was quite happy with this combination and never bothered about any thing else.
The problem started when I couldn't find gillette platinum blue pack in the market and I searched a lot on the net and now I am crazy to try every new blade by reading shaving enthusiasts reviews. Now shaving has become my hobby.
I got this razor from my father as it was lying idle and for the past 15 days I am enjoying it and getting my techniques correct.
Now I have in stock 100 gillette yellows(russian) bought locally, 100 derby (luckily I got it from my local market somehow from some old stock with a wholeseller). I also have supermax super platinums, supermax titanium, gillette super stainless (green pack), treet black, treet platinum, feather, gillette super silver and one bangladeshi pack also.
Dont want to loose any of my favorite blade now as with Gillette Platinum (blue pack).

I have also ordered from bestshave.net 100 Astra and samples of some others. Actually sending the shipment to Canada to my brother who will send me from there to Pakistan. Unfortunately, our country doesnt have paypal service now so we can not enjoy all those online buying as others do.

Now trying to get my hand on merkur 180(23c). I want a razor with long handle so, plz tell me would 23c be a wise choice to switch from this razor or I should try some other one. I want a budget merkur razor with long handle that is at par or better then one that I have mentioned.
BTW, the new one will be my one and only for a long long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom