What's new

Inflation hit home yesterday.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
You can put a dinosaur in your tank ... I prefer to put a tiger in mine.

(And of course the only way to interpret those two terms is ... completely literally. :lol:)

I still have a couple of those old Esso tiger tails in the garage somewhere. You would hang them out the back of the gas door, and they would flap in the air as you drove off (... until they snapped off once you got up to highway speeds).

Tiger Tail.jpeg

One oil company was always very direct about the dinosaur thing ...

Sinclair.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I question those numbers. I do most of our grocery shopping and the bill climbs literally every week.
I remember the Jimmy Carter era but this by far the worst I've ever seen.
You're smart if you question those numbers!
The CPI is an extremely manipulated dataset, with a lot of averaging with urban vs rural consumers, and includes "seasonal data" corrections.
It's produced by a government that is responsible for the very inflation we are seeing and feeling today.
The explanation at the bottom of the CPI explains how manipulated the numbers are.
"The unadjusted data are of primary interest to consumers concerned about the prices they actually pay.
Unadjusted data are also used extensively for escalation purposes. Many collective bargaining contract
agreements and pension plans, for example, tie compensation changes to the Consumer Price Index before
adjustment for seasonal variation. BLS advises against the use of seasonally adjusted data in
escalation agreements because seasonally adjusted series are revised annually for five years"

There are countless studies and reports out there that tell a very different story, and they are not limited to any particular political affiliation. Both right and left news sources are reporting the same data, which conveniently doesn't show up in the adjusted and averaged CPI report.

This article is from Yahoo Finance, which certainly doesn't have a reputation of being anti-Government.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Another report from the same bureau says:

"From April 2021 to April 2022, prices for meats, poultry, fish, and eggs increased 14.3 percent, the largest 12-month percentage increase since a 19.5-percent increase in May 1979. Prices for other major grocery store food groups also rose over the past year, with increases ranging from 7.8 percent for fruits and vegetables to 11.0 percent for other food at home.

These data are from the Consumer Price Index program and are not seasonally adjusted. "

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This last round of post-Covid inflation has me back to work, delivering food and other goods. It’s the easiest job I’ve ever had, but I still prefer retirement . <eg>
Sign of the times, inflation is brought on by a # of factors. Diesel fuel use to be the cheapest fuel and now it is priced higher than gasoline and it the cheapest to distill in production. Most food products in North America are trucked all over the place.
Oil companies have there strategies at making money and major oil companies are not making new refineries anymore so we have mainly monopolies now.
A lot of folks find it hard to believe that the banking system likes about 2% inflation per year but it is accumulative over time and recessions are hard to restart any major economy to get it rejuvenated so a little inflation seems Ok to the folks in control like banking cartels.
Another factor in currency or banking or stock market there is no common sense on how it should work and Governments can change rules very quickly to help faltering banks & economies with the blink of a eye & that has happened in 2008 banking crisis during that great recession that we all felt.
Today small restaurants are squeezed because they have no control over food production, trucking, taxes, wages ........ it is just tough sledding for a few more years until prices sort themselves out.
If Businesses ask to much for a product or service people will refuse to pay or do with out and prices should slow down in theory! Just my thoughts and life experiences when I'm thinking out loud about what happens!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I still have a couple of those old Esso tiger tails in the garage somewhere.

I just realised that I referenced that old Esso slogan without checking to see if it was a "Canada only" advert campaign or if it was in the States too.

It would be like me talking about "$1.49 day ... Tuesday" and all the Yanks scratching their heads.

... and yes, back in the day a legitimate department store would sell lots of stuff for $1.49. It's a sale but still. You want inflation? How 'bout them apples?

You're smart if you question those numbers!
The CPI is an extremely manipulated dataset, with a lot of averaging with urban vs rural consumers, and includes "seasonal data" corrections.
BLS’ official statistics are some of the most uncorrupted functions of government. The CPI is not “manipulated” in some nefarious way to suit one end or another; it is exceedingly transparent in listing its composition and limitations. Anyone can take the data and misuse them for their own purposes, but that’s no fault of BLS.

If we lose these statistics, we have no solid ground for research to shed light on the economy and thus no way to determine a policy course. It would just be “vibes” all the way down.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
BLS’ official statistics are some of the most uncorrupted functions of government. The CPI is not “manipulated” in some nefarious way to suit one end or another; it is exceedingly transparent in listing its composition and limitations. Anyone can take the data and misuse them for their own purposes, but that’s no fault of BLS.

If we lose these statistics, we have no solid ground for research to shed light on the economy and thus no way to determine a policy course. It would just be “vibes” all the way down.

I agree. IF you use the unmanipulated data.
Seasonal correction IS manipulation.
The CPI "uncorrected" numbers are similar to every other independent index.
25% increase vs 3% increase is not an insignificant difference.
I, and others buying groceries, can tell you categorically that the price increase is NOT a measly 3%.
I think to myself, "If I were in Government, and could choose to report either a 3% increase, or a 25% increase, which one would I rather give out on the local news broadcast?"

Last edited:
Well went shopping today need some Silicon Calk, last time I bought it was around 4 bucks, today it was over 7 bucks.

Inflation sucks! I may get some flack for saying this, but I budget for food each month. Household of 3. One of which is a high school teenager who eats like a garbage disposal. And also a small dog. $800 monthly food budget for us 3. $35 budget for the dog (large dry food and wet food). 90% of our shopping is done at Aldi's.

We occasionally eat out for birthdays and holidays (maybe 3-4 times a year). Portion size has dramatically decreased for what you pay eating out. I'd rather cook myself than pay these outrageous prices at local restaurants.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Saturday we stopped at an ice cream place a couple towns over (Dairy Deluxe in Highland Park for the NJ people), and our standard order was now $11.50 - until end of last year we paid $10 for the same, so a 15% price increase.

That’s interesting. I still remember $1.85 gas.

In 1966, gas for my '66 Le Mans was around $.25-.30/gal. A Whopper meal, or 3 piece KFC was $1.25 when I was in college in the 60s. In the mid 70's a fill-up from empty in our '71 Toyota Corona was under $4, and we got a free Hot Wheel car with fill up. Of course salaries were also much lower back then. Gas prices got higher with the fake shortages in the 70s & 90s. In the 70s, while my parents in NJ waited in line on odd/even days, gas stations in Louisville were forced to stay open 24hrs, because there was too much gas waiting to be off-loaded.

So, despite a lame electric power grid in much of the US, thosewhoareoursuperiors want to ban gas cars and gas stoves to shill for votes to a younger generation that has no clue. We lived in an all-electric house in So. Florida in the mid-70s, and it was expensive. I can't imagine the cost in northern States. In NJ, during Sandy, our power was off for 9 days, but I could still find gas to drive, power my gas generator to run our gas furnace when the temperature dropped overnight, and cook on our gas stove. Going all-electric just seems like a way for politicians to become richer, and cull us old folks that aren't influenced by social media.

I tried to keep my feeling on the subject subdued, so as not to get banned. If you really want to set me off, ask about today's recycling farce. I was involved with recycling with my Army Reserve unit in the early 70s when it worked, and later retired after 30+ years in solid waste/recycling enforcement as it became a joke.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
In 1966, gas for my '66 Le Mans was around $.25-.30/gal. A Whopper meal, or 3 piece KFC was $1.25 when I was in college in the 60s. In the mid 70's a fill-up from empty in our '71 Toyota Corona was under $4, and we got a free Hot Wheel car with fill up. Of course salaries were also much lower back then. Gas prices got higher with the fake shortages in the 70s & 90s. In the 70s, while my parents in NJ waited in line on odd/even days, gas stations in Louisville were forced to stay open 24hrs, because there was too much gas waiting to be off-loaded.

So, despite a lame electric power grid in much of the US, thosewhoareoursuperiors want to ban gas cars and gas stoves to shill for votes to a younger generation that has no clue. We lived in an all-electric house in So. Florida in the mid-70s, and it was expensive. I can't imagine the cost in northern States. In NJ, during Sandy, our power was off for 9 days, but I could still find gas to drive, power my gas generator to run our gas furnace when the temperature dropped overnight, and cook on our gas stove. Going all-electric just seems like a way for politicians to become richer, and cull us old folks that aren't influenced by social media.

I tried to keep my feeling on the subject subdued, so as not to get banned. If you really want to set me off, ask about today's recycling farce. I was involved with recycling with my Army Reserve unit in the early 70s when it worked, and later retired after 30+ years in solid waste/recycling enforcement as it became a joke.

We had an industrial electrician live next door to us once in the later 70s, who tore out the entire radiant oil-fired heating system in his house, to install electric baseboards. Electric heating is dry and uncomfortable.

Talk about nuts on cost to operate. Heating oil was expensive then, but not like electric. He had to upgrade to 200A service, back when no one needed 200A residential service. I thought he was insane. But his cost to service it was free.

Then heating oil dropped back down to 70 cents, and he looked like an idiot.

I had clients in the grid industry complaining 30-35 years ago that it was in dire straits then. The demand is always constantly running in one direction. It is a continuous race of catch-up. But this latest pipe dream is really going to stress things. I'm glad all my friends in that industry are now retired.

The longer run transmission of electricity has significant losses throughout its system before it even reaches the house, and is not the lossless energy panacea that the battery cult think it is.

Guys...
Just a word, to no one person in particular, and to everyone in general...

We are edging ever closer to the political cliff edge in this thread, which is something we don't want to do.

It would be great if we could talk in general about inflation without blaming any particular person, party or affiliation, because we are all in the state we are in because of years if not decades of actions and lack of actions by a wide variety of politicians in every corner of the country from every walk of life and political party across the wide spectrum.

It's an interesting conversation, but we can't allow "interesting" to get in the way of our friendships and camaraderie here.

We can look at cause and effect if we like, but we don't have to try to draw specific corollaries or place specific blame.
Let each person take on board and think about the issues for themselves.

I really appreciate this input, well said. I think B&B is a nice place because of the relative absence of political polarization and animosity, something that certainly can't be taken for granted among a crowd from so many different places. I have been wondering if this was due to some deliberate measure on B&B, and judging from this post it appears to be the case. Where can I read the more specific wording addressing this issue on B&B..?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I really appreciate this input, well said. I think B&B is a nice place because of the relative absence of political polarization and animosity, something that certainly can't be taken for granted among a crowd from so many different places. I have been wondering if this was due to some deliberate measure on B&B, and judging from this post it appears to be the case. Where can I read the more specific wording addressing this issue on B&B..?
Here:

And here:

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Our entire world has become thoroughly politicized, in a destructive, acrimonious way.

This little place is about the only place I visit, to mainly chat about the gentler things of life, as gentlemen once did. Because the operators here have been careful to keep the place protected from all that outside noise.

But it does get challenging at times, even here.

Top Bottom