What's new

Inexpensive DE razors for travel

Echo here…..If you’re a collector, you have plenty of razors that just don’t have enough monetary value to induce an ulcer if lost.
Just don’t take that black handle tech with with the golden base plate and shiny copper top cap that you treat like a good luck charm.
And like stated above, an L5 for $8 is a fantastic option and you’ll get a kick out of owning and using it.
I have a Flare Tip Super Speed, which came along with a few other razors and it might be a good addition to my travel shave gear.
There you go ….problem solved. You’ll get a great shave, and if it disappears you won’t need any Maalox.

I picked up a black handle Superspeed at a flea market for 2 Euros. It is my travel razor when I check in my luggage. Otherwise I carry a Mach 3.

As Hannes mentioned I use a nickel Piccolo when travelling. Works great. I used the Gentile last summer because my vacation coincided with Shark Week, but I think it will be OC for this year.

I saw that Lord at RBC too. I think I will but that at some point. Kind of like the idea of having an OC Tech!

Guido
You might better not start your first shave with the OC plate using a Shark though, Guido :)

218E626D-59C5-4587-A1BA-110B736029C7.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My checked luggage travel razor is an ATT Windsor, which I would be quite unhappy to lose, but my impression is that never getting a checked bag back is rare - 0.7%. But I readily admit I don't like cheap stuff, so there's that.

If I were to try and go cheap I'd seriously consider a user grade Gillette Slim (no longer pretty, but a good shaver). Personally, with carry on I like Bic Metal disposable razors. Single blade and quite a nice shave.

I concur. It was the first safety razor I bought ($12.98) and it's extremely competent. I have better/more expensive razors in my arsenal now and don't shave with it very often but The Wife and I are going on a 9-day Caribbean cruise in a few weeks and I've already made plans to take my VDH TTO with some Derby Extra blades.
Heading on a Caribbean cruise myself in a couple of weeks. We are leaving on the 19th of March, 7-night. I'm taking my Razorock Tech II, very affordable and some Derby's. You have a great time on your cruise!
-Boris

As Hannes mentioned I use a nickel Piccolo when travelling. Works great. I used the Gentile last summer because my vacation coincided with Shark Week, but I think it will be OC for this year.

I saw that Lord at RBC too. I think I will but that at some point. Kind of like the idea of having an OC Tech!

Guido
That Lord L122C is a beast! It has nothing in common with an open comb Tech. You've been warned!

I picked up a Gillette Red Tip a number of years ago. It cost less than $10 and is a perfect travel razor. It lost most of the red paint and is not the best-looking razor - but it shaves great.

My travel razor depends on the type of travel.

Plane: Schick Hydro 5
Car: King C Gillette with Weber handle

For airplane travel, I pack one DE, with a non-DE backup: my lovely Rockwell 6s and then my Gillette Sensor with two-blade cartridges. For non-airplane travel, I pack the same unless I am driving. Then I just take my Karve CB B-plate and relearn all over again why I love it. Perhaps this may not be "inexpensive" per the OP. In that case, I would choose the Rockwell 6C (which I gave to my son).

For airplane travel, I pack one DE, with a non-DE backup: my lovely Rockwell 6s and then my Gillette Sensor with two-blade cartridges. For non-airplane travel, I pack the same unless I am driving. Then I just take my Karve CB B-plate and relearn all over again why I love it. Perhaps this may not be "inexpensive" per the OP. In that case, I would choose the Rockwell 6C (which I gave to my son).
With the way things are at the moment, I wouldn't even fly with a $6 drugstore DE razor. You are ignoring the policy changes at your own personal risk and, I just don't get why you want to "give away your son's gifted razor" to a TSA bucket of random possessions.

Fatip piccolo all the way!
Piccolo means "small", i.e. excellent for travel. Solid being all brass, i.e. no special care and very cheap...and of course great shaves :)

Top Bottom