What's new

Inexpensive DE razors for travel

I recently bought a Lord 6 for traveling. I can vouch for the razor being mild and leaving my face DFS. It gets the job done and as others have said, for $6 I won’t cry if I leave it some place.

Reactions: clk
How much is a Fatip Piccolo in your country? Less than $20USD for me and a really good razor!

A Gillette Tech might be a good option too for similar money.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Gillette super click?
I am with you.
"Gillette super click" has several benefits:
1. Super lightweight, only 6 grams, suitable for various travel methods.
2. Because it is light, it will not be damaged even if it is thrown down from 50 floors, and it may be blown away by the wind.
3. Made of plastic, customs don't care about it at all.
4. It only cost me two dollars to buy, and losing it will not make me cry.

I would imagine it as a "ninja" razor, quietly accomplishing tasks without attracting attention, and ready to sacrifice itself for the master at any time.

I travel with a user grade Gillette Slim that I bought in an antique shop for $17, that can still be had on ebay for as little as about $15, in a Hide & Drink leather case that was $10, and now seems to be $16.

I am with you.
"Gillette super click" has several benefits:
1. Super lightweight, only 6 grams, suitable for various travel methods.
2. Because it is light, it will not be damaged even if it is thrown down from 50 floors, and it may be blown away by the wind.
3. Made of plastic, customs don't care about it at all.
4. It only cost me two dollars to buy, and losing it will not make me cry.

I would imagine it as a "ninja" razor, quietly accomplishing tasks without attracting attention, and ready to sacrifice itself for the master at any time.

What's the best place to buy one of those? The ones I find are around $10 and for that much there are plenty of other options.

I am going to suggest a different perspective. I would say just take your (cheapest) normal razor you like to shave with because what are the odds your luggage will get lost. And if it does, it is an excuse to buy something new, unless of course you are taking your favorite vintage razor, which I would not do for sure. I would guess if your luggage is lost, there are more expensive things in there other than a DE razor. Do you buy special travel clothes, shoes, socks, belts, jackets etc. just in case you lose them too? I usually take my best stuff when I travel so why should the razor be any different?

Of course you will have to be diligent with putting away things after use, but you always do a room check before leaving so forgetting your razor on the bathroom counter should be a non-issue. But if you are looking for justification to buy that Lord, than just do it :)
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
What's the best place to buy one of those? The ones I find are around $10 and for that much there are plenty of other options.
I live in Asia (Taiwan), so I bought it at a local store, a ten minute walk from my house.

I live in Asia (Taiwan), so I bought it at a local store, a ten minute walk from my house.

That makes sense, since those razors are from Taiwan and the only other way to get them is to order them from the internet. If I can buy one for a dollar or two I would and I might sound like a cheapskate, but dropping $10 for a plastic razor when there are tons of zamak razors for around or less than that doesn't sound like a smart move to me.

I fly with a BIC disposable. For terrestrial travel, a Lord L5 (shaves better than the L6), a Yuma or a nice Tech.

Isn't the Gillette Super Blue razor a bit better than the Lord 5 in terms of quality control and shaving performance?

I'm looking for an inexpensive DE razor that also shaves good for travel and I won't be missing it if I lose for instance. I think the Lord 6 is probably the best one so far, given the fact that I can buy one for around $11 with shipping and also because it has stood the test of time and most people find it somewhat reliable and decent. But I also want to hear other opinions and recommendations.
Pick up a Gillette Fat Handle Tech...fairly inexpensive and a great travel razor.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I simply travel with one of my Gillette Super Speeds. Some beat up examples were purchased for less than $8 or $10 bucks, maybe missing an endcap or wear on the handle. Or like @Rusty Blade above, a Tech!

Lose it -- not a big deal but the shave is always predictable, excellent, and feels like home. Fits nicely in an old soap holder, rattles around a bit but who cares?

My most faithful traveling companion over the years has been a VDH TTO (Weishi 9306).

Not fancy or even the best at any one particular thing but it's just so...competent.

For me, it's like the Honda Civic of wet shaving.
I concur. It was the first safety razor I bought ($12.98) and it's extremely competent. I have better/more expensive razors in my arsenal now and don't shave with it very often but The Wife and I are going on a 9-day Caribbean cruise in a few weeks and I've already made plans to take my VDH TTO with some Derby Extra blades.

I simply travel with one of my Gillette Super Speeds. Some beat up examples were purchased for less than $8 or $10 bucks, maybe missing an endcap or wear on the handle. Or like @Rusty Blade above, a Tech!

Lose it -- not a big deal but the shave is always predictable, excellent, and feels like home. Fits nicely in an old soap holder, rattles around a bit but who cares?
I do the same. I’ve amassed a few cheapos that are nice and good beaters. Techs are great for this too.

My travel razor is a RazoRock Lupo (aluminum). Got it on sale and it checks all the boxes.
If weight wouldn't be an issue I would (and in fact I have in the past) use the EJ DE89.

Top Bottom