What's new

Indulgence of the Night November 07

You never did give me the prognosis on the Def Sea, what'd you think?:wink: Personally, I didn't really find them that enjoyable. Not awful, but just not something I'll be keeping in stock! The Pimp Stick however, now were talking! :drool:

No kidding?

As for the Def Sea...it didn't really do it for me. The aroma coming off of it was intriguing in a nice way, but the smoke itself tasted artificial to me. I was thankful for the opportunity to satisfy my curiosity, though. Now I don't have to pop into a gas station and buy those grape Swishers. :wink:

Had this while making gluten-free stuffing for the wife. A veritable hop-bomb, without the syrupy-ness of an IPA. Good stuff, but at 8.8% ABV, I can see why it's only sold in 4-packs.

Mike in Michigan

No kidding?

As for the Def Sea...it didn't really do it for me. The aroma coming off of it was intriguing in a nice way, but the smoke itself tasted artificial to me. I was thankful for the opportunity to satisfy my curiosity, though. Now I don't have to pop into a gas station and buy those grape Swishers. :wink:

Your opinion is pretty much spot on. Whenever I had one, I couldn't help but think how much better it would be if it were a real, non-infused cigar. The Pimp Stick however is really great. It's a cameroon wrapper(ok, I'm biased), with Dutch and Nicaraguan fillers. It's a really great smoke. Up front it's definitely a cammie, but as the flavor trails off I get a lot of cocoa flavors, which is really nice.

Your opinion is pretty much spot on. Whenever I had one, I couldn't help but think how much better it would be if it were a real, non-infused cigar. The Pimp Stick however is really great. It's a cameroon wrapper(ok, I'm biased), with Dutch and Nicaraguan fillers. It's a really great smoke. Up front it's definitely a cammie, but as the flavor trails off I get a lot of cocoa flavors, which is really nice.

That sounds really good, actually.

Oh...and ya gotta love the name!

+ Infinity. Even though my pallet has progressed to more medium-full bodied smokes, I still call the Casa Torano my favorite. What do you think of the Maduro version, Rick?

I love the Maduro version. It loaded with great flavor that is typical of Torano cigars. Great draw and burn. An earthy sweet taste that comes from a dark chocolate colored maduro wrapper. This cigar and The Griffin's maduro are my favorite maduro cigars.

proxy.php

It was 75 degrees here on Wednesday night, so I grabbed the La Aurora BME that BOTL from a cigar board sent me and a Curz Light on the deck. Very tasty cigar even though it had a bit of a tunneling problem towards the end.

For the cigar fans - The BME is not the original 1495. It's the orig wrapper but heavier blend that wasn't chosen for the original. They were suggested to La Aurora by Greg Zimmerman of The Tobacco Co in Lemoyne, PA. They're only available from shops, thus the name BME = Bricks and Mortar Edition.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Much to my surprise it was 70 degrees again Thanksgiving morning. So I whipped up some pancakes and enjoyed them out on the deck. Waiting for me is a Santa Damiana toro, punched and ready to enjoy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Still taking advantage of the warm weather on Thanksgiving, I got a few chores around the house done and while the turkey was cooking I grabbed a TV to watch football, a Curz light, and a fantastic Rocky Patel OSG and went out to the deck.

For the cigar fans - ‘OSG’ means ‘Original Sun Grown’ with a full bodied Ecuadorian wrapper.

proxy.php

Rick, you know how to do Thanksgiving!

Last night a friend of mine was in town from Phoenix and much to my surprise we put quite a dent in my humi! After hitting the local watering hole for a few(or six) Leinie's we sat on my porch and enjoyed a few cigars. He chose a CAO L’Anniversaire Cameroon and followed it up with a CAO Italia. I grabbed a La Aroma de Cuba and a Cienfuego. It was his first cigar smoking experience and I don't think it will be his last! Now all I need to do is convert him to classic wetshaving!

Rick, you know how to do Thanksgiving!

Last night a friend of mine was in town from Phoenix and much to my surprise we put quite a dent in my humi! After hitting the local watering hole for a few(or six) Leinie's we sat on my porch and enjoyed a few cigars. He chose a CAO L’Anniversaire Cameroon and followed it up with a CAO Italia. I grabbed a La Aroma de Cuba and a Cienfuego. It was his first cigar smoking experience and I don't think it will be his last! Now all I need to do is convert him to classic wetshaving!

Thank you, thank you... :biggrin: It helps when the temperature is in the mid 70's.

How did you like that La Aroma de Cuba?? I always try to have some of them in the humidor.

So, your friend grabs a pair of excellent cigars his first time out?? :confused:
Surprising that the Italia didnt put him on his butt.

I lived in Tempe AZ for many years, so tell your buddy to get a good sealing humidor because the low humidity will dry his cigars out really fast. When I lived there I used a small tupperware container to take my cigars out to a bar or the golf course. Those nicer "fingered" carrying cases just dont keep the cigars from drying out. I also found that smoking smaller cigars, coronas and robustos, worked out better. A Churchill will dry out and split before you can finish it.

Just my $.02

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Finally home longer enough to fire the grill.

Chinese ribs-
Combine hoisin sauce, sweet chili sauce, ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, chopped garlic, grated ginger with juice, and sesame oil. Marinate rack of ribs several hours. Grill low and slow, When almost done, baste with remaining sauce and increase until somewhat charred. Serve plain or with home made duck sauce.

Almost kosher Chinese chicken-
Make fresh five spice powder* (toast and grind szechuan peppercorn, star anise, fennel seed, cinnamon stick and clove). Use (lightly!) as dry rub, and add remainder to rice wine, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, scallion, garlic, and ground chilis. Marinate chicken pieces at least one hour, then grill over low heat. Serve plain or with Thai style sweet chili sauce.

*Five spice is the equivalent of "Salter's Vetiver". You'll either love it or hate it.

Thank you, thank you... :biggrin: It helps when the temperature is in the mid 70's.

How did you like that La Aroma de Cuba?? I always try to have some of them in the humidor.

So, your friend grabs a pair of excellent cigars his first time out?? :confused:
Surprising that the Italia didnt put him on his butt.

I lived in Tempe AZ for many years, so tell your buddy to get a good sealing humidor because the low humidity will dry his cigars out really fast. When I lived there I used a small tupperware container to take my cigars out to a bar or the golf course. Those nicer "fingered" carrying cases just dont keep the cigars from drying out. I also found that smoking smaller cigars, coronas and robustos, worked out better. A Churchill will dry out and split before you can finish it.

Just my $.02

I really like the La Aroma de Cubas. The first one I picked up at my local B&M I smoked right out of their humidor(that must run around 90%RH)and had a lot of burn issues, very tight draw and went out on me several times, but the flavor was great. I got myself a five pack off C-Bid shortly after to give them another try when I could rule out the possibility of a bum stick or humidity problems. Every one I've had since has been perfect and they are a favorite of mine!

I didn't really have any junk in my humi to give my buddy for his first time out, considering he really wouldn't know the difference, and how drunk we were, I wouldn't have hesitated to give him a Jefe! What can I say? I'm a great friend!:wink:

I talked to him today and he did seem somewhat interested in picking up a few sticks for himself at some point. He said he favored the Cammie over the Italia, saying the Italia just tasted like "burning dirt"! He's going to scope out a few B&M stores in his area and just pick up a single now and then, but you never know, once he gets the bug it's all over! I'll pass on the words of wisdom on the humi and smaller sizes should he go that route.

All the recipes you post sound delicious, and these are not exceptions... It's almost enough to make me want to get into cooking. I never expected that a shaving community would also expand my horizons with regard to food, drink, etc., but it is just another one of those things that makes B&B a great place.

Ouch, pardon my ignorance, but are you a chef by trade, or just someone who really enjoys cooking as a hobby?

Finally home longer enough to fire the grill.

Chinese ribs-
Combine hoisin sauce, sweet chili sauce, ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, chopped garlic, grated ginger with juice, and sesame oil. Marinate rack of ribs several hours. Grill low and slow, When almost done, baste with remaining sauce and increase until somewhat charred. Serve plain or with home made duck sauce.

Almost kosher Chinese chicken-
Make fresh five spice powder* (toast and grind szechuan peppercorn, star anise, fennel seed, cinnamon stick and clove). Use (lightly!) as dry rub, and add remainder to rice wine, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, scallion, garlic, and ground chilis. Marinate chicken pieces at least one hour, then grill over low heat. Serve plain or with Thai style sweet chili sauce.

*Five spice is the equivalent of "Salter's Vetiver". You'll either love it or hate it.

Just got home from the parlour watched the Browns win another and enjoyed a
Montecristo No. 2 Habana
A.Fuente Reserva Xtra Viejo (Anejo)
Anejo was wonderful might have to have another tonight:biggrin1:

Saturday Night

Quiz Night at the Cricket Club

Draught Bass

Return home and celebrate victory :biggrin:

Chateau Soussans Margaux 2002

Sunday night

Mercier champagne (shared with SWMBO)

Titanic Brewery White Star
Glenfarclas 12 yo

Gilde Pilsener (from Hanover)
Talisker 10yo
Glenlivet 12 yo

I really like the La Aroma de Cubas. The first one I picked up at my local B&M I smoked right out of their humidor(that must run around 90%RH)and had a lot of burn issues, very tight draw and went out on me several times, but the flavor was great. I got myself a five pack off C-Bid shortly after to give them another try when I could rule out the possibility of a bum stick or humidity problems. Every one I've had since has been perfect and they are a favorite of mine!

I didn't really have any junk in my humi to give my buddy for his first time out, considering he really wouldn't know the difference, and how drunk we were, I wouldn't have hesitated to give him a Jefe! What can I say? I'm a great friend!:wink:

I talked to him today and he did seem somewhat interested in picking up a few sticks for himself at some point. He said he favored the Cammie over the Italia, saying the Italia just tasted like "burning dirt"! He's going to scope out a few B&M stores in his area and just pick up a single now and then, but you never know, once he gets the bug it's all over! I'll pass on the words of wisdom on the humi and smaller sizes should he go that route.

Nice going, Matt! You'll have to gently remind him, though, that we belong to the Politically Correct camp...what he was experiencing was Earthy, not burning dirt. :wink:

You've also officially stamped the Jefe as the proverbial fruitcake of cigars. I'm off to cry now, as I'm still overflowed with fruitcake. :eek:

Top Bottom