What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

Arko. But recently I purchased a kg of Vitos Red Coco for a little over $17 delivered. Wow. Just unreal. Same league as Tabac. Haven't calculated it but it has to be almost as cheap as Arko.

U8597f10029fa428a99961015e1e48f17N.jpg_q50.jpg

Arko. But recently I purchased a kg of Vitos Red Coco for a little over $17 delivered. Wow. Just unreal. Same league as Tabac. Haven't calculated it but it has to be almost as cheap as Arko.
A Vitos brick is 1000ml but weighs about 890g, assume usage of 1g per shave, yields:

17.50 / (890 / 1.0) = $0.0197 per shave

Just a little more than Arko. Quite a bargain.

I bought 24 pucks of Williams for $32.52 ($1.355/puck). I get about 225 shaves per puck which is $0.00602/shave. I think it's the winner.

It's just a bonus that nothing shaves better. :p

1592613678382.png

Last edited:
I bought 24 pucks of Williams for $32.52 ($1.355/puck). I get about 225 shaves per puck which is $0.00602/shave. I think it's the winner.

It's just a bonus that nothing shaves better. :p

View attachment 1115298
Most people don't get 225 shaves from a puck of Williams. A more typical value is 60 shaves or maybe 80 shaves for the more frugal ones.

So, their typical cost ranges from $0.0169 to $0.0225 per shave. That makes Arko less expensive than Williams and Vitos about the same cost as Williams.

If you applied your methods to Arko, you might achieve some truly spectacular feats of parsimony.
:biggrin1:

Most people don't get 225 shaves from a puck of Williams. A more typical value is 60 shaves or maybe 80 shaves for the more frugal ones.

So, their typical cost ranges from $0.0169 to $0.0225 per shave. That makes Arko less expensive than Williams and Vitos about the same cost as Williams.

If you applied your methods to Arko, you might achieve some truly spectacular feats of parsimony.
:biggrin1:

For some reason, people like to believe Williams needs bloomed. That's why they use so much. Those types probably don't get over 100 shaves/blade either. I'll bet many of them have more than one razor and one brush.

For some reason, people like to believe Williams needs bloomed. That's why they use so much. Those types probably don't get over 100 shaves/blade either. I'll bet many of them have more than one razor and one brush.
Huh?
What does blooming have to do with the amount of soap one uses?

And what does putting up with a dull blade have to do with how much soap one uses?

And the fact that someone has more than one razor or brush has no relevance to the amount of soap used.

Huh?
What does blooming have to do with the amount of soap one uses?

And what does putting up with a dull blade have to do with how much soap one uses?

And the fact that someone has more than one razor or brush has no relevance to the amount of soap used.

Blooming makes it easy to load too much soap.

I never put up with a dull blade. When it gets dull, I get a new one -- about three blades a year.

The third one was for fun.

Blooming makes it easy to load too much soap.

I never put up with a dull blade. When it gets dull, I get a new one -- about three blades a year.

The third one was for fun.
Here is where the whole is worth more than the sum of it’s parts. Any one of your comments alone I could give a pass buttttt combined they give an air of arrogance and I feel takes an insulting know it all stance. You’ve avoided addressing the previous poster who quoted you to pontificate how wonderful you think you are. Yes we all do it. I know I know. This time I guess it struck me and stood out.

Here is where the whole is worth more than the sum of it’s parts. Any one of your comments alone I could give a pass buttttt combined they give an air of arrogance and I feel takes an insulting know it all stance. You’ve avoided addressing the previous poster who quoted you to pontificate how wonderful you think you are. Yes we all do it. I know I know. This time I guess it struck me and stood out.

I never even remotely implied I know it all. I do know a lot about Williams. This thread asks for an opinion. I gave mine. I hope you don't have a problem with that.

You are not a mind reader, so don't criticize me for what you think I think.

If you want to control what I say, I don't do submission politics. So, try elsewhere.

If what you say is true, you are a hateful person for saying it. If it's not true, you are a hateful person for saying it.

I never even remotely implied I know it all. I do know a lot about Williams. This thread asks for an opinion. I gave mine. I hope you don't have a problem with that.

You are not a mind reader, so don't criticize me for what you think I think.

If you want to control what I say, I don't do submission politics. So, try elsewhere.

If what you say is true, you are a hateful person for saying it. If it's not true, you are a hateful person for saying it.
What? I don’t know where to start. Oh never mind.
Apparently you can share your opinion but I can’t share mine.

I’ve pitched a few “inexpensive” options into the bin as well. So was that a good value? Maybe a valuable teaching moment but nothing more.
That financial waste and therefore lack of value in this context has more to do with decision making on the buyers part which is personalized and subjective and shouldn't be lumped in with more objective price/performance attributes of soap X or Y for that reason.

In other words, If I have $100 bill and throw it in the trash, it doesn't change the inherent value of $100 of the bill. The loss of "value" as you put it was due to your actions and not the price to performance ratios of a soap itself, which is what is being compared in this thread.

I find my most of my
inexpensive soaps last a long time because I don't use them that much.
Sterling is a great soap for the price but I don't use it much.
It's a good interesting topic.

Top Bottom