What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

Razorock’s glass jar soaps: SMDF and Dead Sea are $19.99 for about 8oz. They are fantastic performers with great scents.

Inexpensive is subjective. It would be better if you set a price range. Best soap under ten dollars, best soap under 20, etc.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razorock -Lavender :001_wub::001_wub: , Santa Maria del Fiore:001_wub::001_wub:, Don Marco:001_wub:, The Dead Sea:001_wub::001_wub:,............ some very great soaps reasonably priced IMO.

Depends where you live on Earth. For the European bros commercial soaps are very cheap some places Proraso is €3,80 while here in the States it is priced at $10.00. A cream of La Toja can be found at around €2 in Spain while here in the states it's at $12.00. As an American my vote would have to go to Stirling as you get more bang for your buck. If I lived in Europe I would opt for commercial soaps.

It's ironic how the least expensive soap, Arko, probably performs as well or better than the most expensive soaps. What's missing is the great scent. Arko smells like Ivory soap.

It's ironic how the least expensive soap, Arko, probably performs as well or better than the most expensive soaps. What's missing is the great scent. Arko smells like Ivory soap.

I have no idea what your criteria are for soap performance, but Arko does not come anywhere near the best soaps in my collection. Here are are my evaluation notes for Arko:

Scent 5/10 Citronella scent reminds me of household cleaners
Ease of Loading 8/10
Ease of Lathering 9/10
Primary Slickness 9/10
Residual Slickness 6/10 Requires relathering before buffing strokes
Cushion/protection 8/10 Minor irritation of my sensitive face
Post shave feel 6/10 Leaves my face feeling tight and dry, aftershave balm required

So, Arko receives a performance score of 44/60 on my scale which places it in the Tier III category. It is slightly better than Williams Mug Soap and it is inexpensive, but that is the best I can say about Arko.

In contrast, I have fifteen soaps that I rate 60/60 on performance and also 10/10 on scent (to my nose). I have another twenty soaps that rate 60/60 on performance, but would not rate 10/10 on scent.

Thus, while Arko might be a wonderful soap for you, it is not good enough for those whose requirements for a shaving soap are more stringent than yours. If the only thing that concerns you is ease of lathering and primary slickness then it would be a Tier II soap , but there are still better soaps available.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Right now I have four soaps in my rotation (among the dozens in temporary storage). The first three of the four are B&M, PAA CK6 and A&E. All somewhat higher end soaps. The fourth is Don Marco. It is my favorite "every day" soap. And i stock up on it when its on sale. Usually around $5 a tub. About one quarter the price of the others. And it holds its own. I love the smell. And i feel the performance is very good. Is it the best? Nope. But its very good and very inexpensive. And it may be my favorite soap scent of all!

I have no idea what your criteria are for soap performance, but Arko does not come anywhere near the best soaps in my collection. Here are are my evaluation notes for Arko:

Scent 5/10 Citronella scent reminds me of household cleaners
Ease of Loading 8/10
Ease of Lathering 9/10
Primary Slickness 9/10
Residual Slickness 6/10 Requires relathering before buffing strokes
Cushion/protection 8/10 Minor irritation of my sensitive face
Post shave feel 6/10 Leaves my face feeling tight and dry, aftershave balm required

So, Arko receives a performance score of 44/60 on my scale which places it in the Tier III category. It is slightly better than Williams Mug Soap and it is inexpensive, but that is the best I can say about Arko.

In contrast, I have fifteen soaps that I rate 60/60 on performance and also 10/10 on scent (to my nose). I have another twenty soaps that rate 60/60 on performance, but would not rate 10/10 on scent.

Thus, while Arko might be a wonderful soap for you, it is not good enough for those whose requirements for a shaving soap are more stringent than yours. If the only thing that concerns you is ease of lathering and primary slickness then it would be a Tier II soap , but there are still better soaps available.

Sheesh, you must have some sophisticated instruments to make these measurements. I'm too humble a man to dispute such expertise.

Without question, ARKO, stink and all.
I have accumulated over 200 soaps, many from a large gift, however, its hard to argue with Arko. My average cost/shave over the last 7 years is .229/shave. Arko comes in at .049/shave. Most of what I call tier 1 soaps start at .40/shave and go up to .75/shave. However, there are other soaps that are almost as cheap as Arko if found on sale. I have years worth of Tabac at .095/shave, Cade at .097/shave, DR Harris at .119/shave so Arko has competition. While I do enjoy a good deal, I can justify .50/shave for a great overall shaving experience just like I justify spending .70 for my morning shot of espresso.

Someone on the forum once said the most expensive soap is the soap you will never use. I have way more soaps than I will ever use so I've been giving some to wet shaving converts to help them get started. I also have 4 Grandsons that are checking the mirror daily for any hint of facial hair so I can see where a lot of the soap will be going.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Another good and potentially low cost soap. Low if you live where it's local, is De Vergulde Hand. it's 10 dollars online, but i think it's about the equivalent of 2 USD in the Netherlands. It's also been around since the 1500's. I prefer it to Williams and Arko. For me it lathers easier than Williams, smells nicer than both and works as well as both.

That said, $10 does open up the soap world a lot so there may well be something you like even better in that range but I don't think you'll best it's performance by much, but it's a hard puck, and lasts a long time.

And best of all, @FarmerTan's War Department approves of the smell.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Another good and potentially low cost soap. Low if you live where it's local, is De Vergulde Hand. it's 10 dollars online, but i think it's about the equivalent of 2 USD in the Netherlands. It's also been around since the 1500's. I prefer it to Williams and Arko. For me it lathers easier than Williams, smells nicer than both and works as well as both.

That said, $10 does open up the soap world a lot so there may well be something you like even better in that range but I don't think you'll best it's performance by much, but it's a hard puck, and lasts a long time.

And best of all, @FarmerTan's War Department approves of the smell.
You don't realize how much weight that carries! I can count on one hand (maybe 2 fingers, lol!) how many scents she actually gives a "thumbs up" to!

Thanks for that sample my friend. Honestly, if you hadn't told me it's price, I'd think it was a luxury brand!

Top Bottom