What's new

In Praise of Lapping Film (by a newbie)

I'll start off with some recent history...

I started my journey with straights around the beginning of September of this year. Initially I had one razor, one strop, and shortly thereafter I acquired some lapping film and a CrOx crayon. After about two weeks I jumped off into the world of honing on the films as I could hear the siren song calling me an whispering in my ear about the promise of a sharper, smoother blade. I know, bad idea, but I started chasing the dream nonetheless. My first forays into film were pretty good, and I was really gentle with the films, slowly ramping up what I was doing and test shaving to see what was happening.

Then in October I bought a second new razor and a coticule. Being excited about the new stone, I started honing the new razor after about two days of use (I know, another bad idea). I went through a "seven-day" program by Bart on learning coticules. On day six or so, you are supposed to try a unicot. I tried it and it wasn't very good. I think HHT0 right off the stone.

Anyway, I kept at the coti and experimenting. I tried dilucot and eventually stumbled on the lather trick. With the lather trick, I could get around HHT3 on a thick hair after stropping. That was a revelation. But the overall shave was challenged. Dull feeling blade, razor catching, and I started feeling myself having to use more pressure and at the same time getting more and more scared of the razor. I tried CrOx on a hanging strop (prep side) and that didn't help much. I then tried the films (60x each on 3, 1, 0.3 um) and even that didn't result in a very smooth shave.

Based on an earlier post and two comments about bevels, I started to suspect a bevel issue. I got out the loupe and in the reflection of light off the bevel, I thought maybe I see some unevenness of the reflection near the very edge. So I pulled out the 9 um film (the lowest grit I got in my sample pack, never used up to this point) and did 180 laps. Wiping the blade down, I saw some of the tell-tale grey metal that was removed. Bevel looked much more uniform and straight under the loupe. I then did my customary 60x each on 3, 1, 0.3 um followed by 10x on the CrOx strop. Then 60/80 linen/leather.

The shave this morning, #49, was awesome. I got a few silent weepers, but the blade just cruised around my face. Hardly any catching on hairs and the shave (2 WTG, 1 ATG) was closer. My confidence in this razor is back...

I bought the marble tile, the lapping films, paddle strop, CrO2, diamond paste, horse hide and linen Illinois. I followed the "burr method" and what my mentor @steveclarkus told me to do. I am achieving excellent shaves. That's all that matter to me.

I think you have to follow a method. Choose one and commit. Don't screw around.

Yeah, I'm going to segregate. Keep my regular rotation razors on lapping film. Put one razor aside to learn the coticule and test it out any time I think I have something worth trying. Since some people report up to several months to master a coticule, maybe I'll be able to transition to the stone at some point next year if I can get edges that I prefer over the films.

Yeah, I'm going to segregate. Keep my regular rotation razors on lapping film. Put one razor aside to learn the coticule and test it out any time I think I have something worth trying. Since some people report up to several months to master a coticule, maybe I'll be able to transition to the stone at some point next year if I can get edges that I prefer over the films.

At this point, none of my razors touch lapping film after being honed. I guess the idea of stones interests me, but not for achieving a better shave.

Lapping film has worked well for me also. It was my first step into honing and I can set a bevel and maintain my edges. I’m glad other members found and documented the process.

@Twelvefret - So do you simply refresh on pastes once a week? Part of why I still hit the films regularly is that I'm interested in learning what they can do to the edge relative to what I get from the shop with the new razors. Once that learning stage is finished, I'll be able to simplify and just hit the pastes. I think I read someone mention that if you hit CrOx everyday 5x, you can keep an edge going for a long time.

Why exactly are you interested in stones if not for a better shave? To simplify or to try out more traditional methods? What interested me in the coti is that even though they can be a pain in the butt, some people just rave about a good coti edge. I hope to one day experience it, especially after I solidify my shaving technique.

@Twelvefret - So do you simply refresh on pastes once a week? Part of why I still hit the films regularly is that I'm interested in learning what they can do to the edge relative to what I get from the shop with the new razors. Once that learning stage is finished, I'll be able to simplify and just hit the pastes. I think I read someone mention that if you hit CrOx everyday 5x, you can keep an edge going for a long time.

Why exactly are you interested in stones if not for a better shave? To simplify or to try out more traditional methods? What interested me in the coti is that even though they can be a pain in the butt, some people just rave about a good coti edge. I hope to one day experience it, especially after I solidify my shaving technique.

I'm still experimenting and loving it. Personally, I like the feel of the blade after stropping on my paddle strop, rough side of the leather with chromium oxide. It has a very silky smooth feel and corresponding effective blade for shaving.

I have a horse hide/linen hanging strop also that I use to dry the blade after shaving.

The diamond paste does make for a sharp blade, but I do not like the feel as much as Cr O2.

I think I am probably honing too much or more than is necessary. I person I get some vintage razors from said he only strops once every couple of weeks. However, he did say to move the razors away from the bathroom moisture and clean the razors after each use and air dry somewhere.

Another member said to strop after shaving with diamond paste and never need to hone again.

If I got stone it would just be to experience a more traditional method.

"I think I am probably honing too much or more than is necessary..."

Probably not a bad thing - the only thing to lose is metal, I suppose, unless one gets so confused and discouraged that they eventually abandon the straights. In general I don't think Gamma would look down on too much honing based on some of his comments to me and other newbies.

When I started DE shaving, the only disappointing thing was that I couldn't shave like five times a day. I still shave every day since I started this hobby and would do more if my face could tolerate it. As for everything else like lathering, I can still be caught in the middle of the day just practicing lathering, especially when I start a 3017 of a hard soap puck or when I get bored during 3017 runs.

Now that I started with the straight, I hone a lot just because I am on the very far left side of the learning curve and every time I hone I feel like I learn a ton, even if it means some mistakes along the way.

"I think I am probably honing too much or more than is necessary..."

Probably not a bad thing - the only thing to lose is metal, I suppose, unless one gets so confused and discouraged that they eventually abandon the straights. In general I don't think Gamma would look down on too much honing based on some of his comments to me and other newbies.

When I started DE shaving, the only disappointing thing was that I couldn't shave like five times a day. I still shave every day since I started this hobby and would do more if my face could tolerate it. As for everything else like lathering, I can still be caught in the middle of the day just practicing lathering, especially when I start a 3017 of a hard soap puck or when I get bored during 3017 runs.

Now that I started with the straight, I hone a lot just because I am on the very far left side of the learning curve and every time I hone I feel like I learn a ton, even if it means some mistakes along the way.

After you quoted me I realized I wrote that I was honing too much and meant to write stropping too much. I only hone one time using the burr method. From then on I strop using CrO2, diamond, paddle strop of hanging strop.

After I shave I use the Illinois horse hide and linen. I've read this is a good way to make sure the metal is dry. Sometimes I will strop at night with diamond paste of chromium oxide. It's working beautifully so I see no reason to change.

Ah, makes sense given your earlier comments. Burr method - something else I want to learn eventually, applied to the straight whenever I encounter a beat-up razor. I employed it before on my favorite kitchen knife and the end result was awesome.

Well, I don't think the pastes are in danger of removing too much metal. Besides, I would side with some folks on this forum who take a proactive approach and ask "why wait until the blade starts tugging?"

Ah, makes sense given your earlier comments. Burr method - something else I want to learn eventually, applied to the straight whenever I encounter a beat-up razor. I employed it before on my favorite kitchen knife and the end result was awesome.

Well, I don't think the pastes are in danger of removing too much metal. Besides, I would side with some folks on this forum who take a proactive approach and ask "why wait until the blade starts tugging?"

And some tugging occurs with the apprehension of new SR users and not because of blade sharpness. It happened to me even with the Feather SS at first and we know those blades are sharp....LOL!!

I never tried the shavette version but the Feather blades were my favorite in my DE days. I really liked the very first shave on a new blade - boy that thing was just a silent and effective cutter, painlessly cruising through all the hair (and occasionally skin bumps, etc.). No sign of hesitation at all and it was just the smoothest shave I could ever get. I never found the blades to be harsh unless I used too much pressure.

Back to your comment, I get the feeling that all newbies will think their first blade is dull because of the apprehension. While I think in some cases it genuinely is and needs to be remediated, I also think technique counts for a lot and you don't need to get a straight Feather-sharp to get a good shave. I would venture to guess that the majority of straight razor shavers are using blades that are duller than your average DE blade.

Back to your comment, I get the feeling that all newbies will think their first blade is dull because of the apprehension. While I think in some cases it genuinely is and needs to be remediated, I also think technique counts for a lot and you don't need to get a straight Feather-sharp to get a good shave. I would venture to guess that the majority of straight razor shavers are using blades that are duller than your average DE blade.

My two months worth of experience agrees. It is technique and challenging to explain. It is developing the muscle memory that allows you to roll the shank in your fingers around curved parts in a slow, methodical movement.

Last edited:
After you quoted me I realized I wrote that I was honing too much and meant to write stropping too much. I only hone one time using the burr method. From then on I strop using CrO2, diamond, paddle strop of hanging strop.

After I shave I use the Illinois horse hide and linen. I've read this is a good way to make sure the metal is dry. Sometimes I will strop at night with diamond paste of chromium oxide. It's working beautifully so I see no reason to change.

When you strop, you can aligning and polishing the edge of the blade. I do not think there is any such thing as stropping too much as long as your technique is good and you do not roll the edge. However, the greatest effect of stropping probably occurs in the initial strokes on the fabric or leather. There are likely to be diminishing returns as you continue stropping. Somewhere I read a post about someone who evaluate an edge after various degrees of stropping. After a while, no further improvement was noticed.

I have a variety of strops and have gotten into the habit of stropping on all of them before most shaves. I usually do 25 laps each on a homemade linen strop, a cotton strop, and a fuzzy linen strop from Tony Miller, Then I do 20-25 laps each on latigo, kangaroo hide, cordovan shell, horsehide and finish on fast bridle cowhide. My leather progression goes from the most draw to the least. I could probably get by with only one fabric strop and one leather strop, but I enjoy the sound and feel of the blade on the various strops. I get a sharp, smooth edge for my tough beard and sensitive face, so I am not likely to mess with success.

When you strop, you can aligning and polishing the edge of the blade. I do not think there is any such thing as stropping too much as long as your technique is good and you do not roll the edge. However, the greatest effect of stropping probably occurs in the initial strokes on the fabric or leather. There are likely to be diminishing returns as you continue stropping. Somewhere I read a post about someone who evaluate an edge after various degrees of stropping. After a while, no further improvement was noticed.

I have a variety of strops and have gotten into the habit of stropping on all of them before most shaves. I usually do 25 laps each on a homemade linen strop, a cotton strop, and a fuzzy linen strop from Tony Miller, Then I do 20-25 laps each on latigo, kangaroo hide, cordovan shell, horsehide and finish on fast bridle cowhide. My leather progression goes from the most draw to the least. I could probably get by with only one fabric strop and one leather strop, but I enjoy the sound and feel of the blade on the various strops. I get a sharp, smooth edge for my tough beard and sensitive face, so I am not likely to mess with success.
I have come to consider and may be mistaken that the lap number is to ensure a thorough effect on the whole blade.

Like you, I enjoy the sound. I actually find the stropping process relaxing. Once I realized just how little pressure is necessary I have enjoyed it more.

I have come to consider and may be mistaken that the lap number is to ensure a thorough effect on the whole blade.

Like you, I enjoy the sound. I actually find the stropping process relaxing. Once I realized just how little pressure is necessary I have enjoyed it more.

The only time pressure is required is when setting a bevel and lot of metal needs to be removed. Once you go to finer grits whether on synthetic hones, natural stones, lapping film, pasted strops, and clean fabric and leather strops, pressure is not needed and canbe harmful. And of course, pressure is not needed when shaving. Always maintain sufficient pressure to control the path of the blade, but no more.

Good notes about the stropping pressure.

I have come to really like stropping myself. I love the sound that the TM linen makes. For me it has gotten better and better as my technique improves, including using minimal pressure to control the blade and the strop leather breaks in.

I recently tried the unicot method on a coticule I've had for awhile now. The hard part for me was learning how little pressure is needed to get a good edge (or what I think is good). I'm also new at shaving with a SR, and have learned through several attempts, taking my time is the main thing for me. I enjoy reading everyone's experiences with honing and shaving with straights. Learn something new almost every time.

Thanks, Eric.

I'm starting to slow down myself. I've been limiting myself to one strop and one razor lately. I was already on the 3017 path for soaps before I started with the straight, so that is pretty fixed as well. I finished shave #73 this morning.

Regarding honing, I finally stumbled on something that I can live with. While attempting to do a method edge down to 0.1 um diamond on balsa, I produced a blade that was uncomfortable. The cutting power seemed only marginally improved but the blade's ability to cut skin seemed to be greatly enhanced. As a result, I started getting weepers and irritation after the shaves. In an effort to troubleshoot what went wrong, I went back to the beginning and tried just 3 and then 1 um lapping film a few times to see if it was okay. To my surprise, 1 um film produced a very pleasant edge - keen enough to cut hair but dull enough to be comfortable. It was a simple edge that was usable and I wasn't afraid of cutting myself. That greatly enhanced my confidence and now I can focus more on shaving technique without fear.

I still have the coti and am still working on it. They seem pretty intolerant of bad technique, as you mentioned with the pressure. I also plan to revisit the balsa hones to figure out what went wrong. All in due time...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks, Eric.

I'm starting to slow down myself. I've been limiting myself to one strop and one razor lately. I was already on the 3017 path for soaps before I started with the straight, so that is pretty fixed as well. I finished shave #73 this morning.

Regarding honing, I finally stumbled on something that I can live with. While attempting to do a method edge down to 0.1 um diamond on balsa, I produced a blade that was uncomfortable. The cutting power seemed only marginally improved but the blade's ability to cut skin seemed to be greatly enhanced. As a result, I started getting weepers and irritation after the shaves. In an effort to troubleshoot what went wrong, I went back to the beginning and tried just 3 and then 1 um lapping film a few times to see if it was okay. To my surprise, 1 um film produced a very pleasant edge - keen enough to cut hair but dull enough to be comfortable. It was a simple edge that was usable and I wasn't afraid of cutting myself. That greatly enhanced my confidence and now I can focus more on shaving technique without fear.

I still have the coti and am still working on it. They seem pretty intolerant of bad technique, as you mentioned with the pressure. I also plan to revisit the balsa hones to figure out what went wrong. All in due time...
Some guys have begun to tout .1u CBN in lieu of .1u diamond saying it gives a softer more comfortable edge. I’ve been using
CBN for daily maintenance for a couple of months but haven’t made up my mind yet. If there is a difference, it is subtle but then subtle is what it is all about. I never found the diamond to be uncomfortable and never experienced weepers because of sharpness though. No doubt, you can get good comfortable shaves off film. I prefer film over synthetic stones because it doesn’t require maintenance and is much less messy and cost of course.

Top Bottom