What's new

I'm torn between old and new

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So @robertj298 you joined the forums over 10 years ago and are on the fence about trying something new and shiny!?!?

1st off let me take a moment to admire your restraint. Then I'll take another moment to encourage you to treat yourself. I imagine you've found what works for you so go get yourself something new.

My vintage razors have never once complained when a newer razor entered the rotation.

I say procure and use which ever gets you excited and looking forward to shaving time. We are all here because shaving is much more than a chore, more akin to a sport or exercise. This mentality applies to everything fun in life. When I feel myself losing motivation to ride my bicycle for example, I change out the handlebar tape or swap in a new titanium screw to lose a few grams and that gets me looking forward to my next ride, rain or shine. So in summary, use what ever gets you excited to lather up at the sink. Get something new and get something used, get something silver or something gold too.

I only regret that I have the need to shave but once a day!

I'm with the why not both crowd.

IMG_20230101_135645989.jpg

I love my vintage Gillettes and only used basically them for the last 10 years until this year I decided to try some new-era hardware. I'm in the boat of why not use both. I love my new-era hardware and can't seem to put my Wolfman down.

323579592_478527537769989_6815723138480910793_n.jpg

Still love this Gillette New long comb that is almost 100 years old now.

323561238_886363529173604_3657963494096828436_n.jpg

I would love to find a modern equal to slim adjustable tto.

Any modern TTO adjustable that are worth looking at?

Or guess I could just replate the old gillete to a new user! Any one have input on replating?

IMG_20230104_071517592.jpg

My slim replated before I hand it off to my son ready for his first shave. Ready for another couple generations.

But does it really need replated? Does it still function and shave good? Many rather have original condition. Like my grandfather's toggle I love shaving with but don't see myself replating it anytime soon. Just seems wrong to do so.
IMG_20230102_224433081.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The answer is use both! The majority of my razors are vintage, but I do enjoy my Rex Ambassador, Timeless Bronze, Supply Pro, and etc.
That Timeless Bronze is a Rock Star doggone. And pure art in motion. Mine was a gift, and flawless, no oxidation. Lol, I love the smell of it, and it's the ONLY razor I polish EVERY SINGLE TIME I use it. Gorgeous. But is it better than another razor I was gifted, a what? 100 year old Gillette ABC? No. I do have to think a LITTLE bit more with the antique, but not much, which is a good thing with my constant slow brane bleeds! Lol, I just realized I admitted to having a slow brane if you guys read this as slow as I typed it! Please don't tell the War Department. She has too much fun at my expense as it is!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1584102
My slim replated before I hand it off to my son ready for his first shave. Ready for another couple generations.

But does it really need replated? Does it still function and shave good? Many rather have original condition. Like my grandfather's toggle I love shaving with but don't see myself replating it anytime soon. Just seems wrong to do so.
View attachment 1584103
Don't replate that Toggle. Every single time you touch it now you are touching the same surface your Grand Dad did!

That is priceless my friend! You be gentle with it and your own grandson will some day use it!

I love using both and do not exclude one over the other. I started out modern until I got my first Tech. The vintage bug bit me some more, but I also got a R41 in between. I have one higher end modern razor which was a precious gift to me last year. I use it every other day.

Guido

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
That Timeless Bronze is a Rock Star doggone. And pure art in motion. Mine was a gift, and flawless, no oxidation. Lol, I love the smell of it, and it's the ONLY razor I polish EVERY SINGLE TIME I use it. Gorgeous. But is it better than another razor I was gifted, a what? 100 year old Gillette ABC? No. I do have to think a LITTLE bit more with the antique, but not much, which is a good thing with my constant slow brane bleeds! Lol, I just realized I admitted to having a slow brane if you guys read this as slow as I typed it! Please don't tell the War Department. She has too much fun at my expense as it is!
Love my Timeless Bronze as well. The weight of that razor alone makes me smile every time I use it. @FarmerTan and I differ in that I'm happy with a patina on mine. It's a stunner and a great shaver whether it's "shiny" or "dull".

I’m strongly a vintage guy, but I do have some modern razors. When I buy new I prefer the reasonably priced, excellent razors from Lord, i.e. the L5, L6 and Racer (all under $10). I have a Yuma, a fascinating razor for $9 in the US (less than $1 in Europe). I was gifted a Fatip Piccolo OC that can be had for $25. I am amazed by its quality.

Go mostly vintage. If you venture into modern, keep it inexpensive. Wet shaving done right should save you money.

I would love to find a modern equal to slim adjustable tto.

Any modern TTO adjustable that are worth looking at?

Or guess I could just replate the old gillete to a new user! Any one have input on replating?
IMHO, the only non-Slim that outshaves a Slim is a Superadjustable. .

I agree and don't have the heart to do it. It may sound odd but I still don't feel like it's mine.
I completely understand. My Brother-in-law gave me his Dad's Fatboy. It is in great condition. Had it 2 years and have never used it. My Brother-in-law does not wet shave, has a beard. When his Father passed, he showed me the razor. He didn't know anything about it so I explained how it worked and what it might be worth and how nice it was for him to have something his Father used. A year or so later he gave it to me. I am very thankful but it just doesn't feel like it is mine. I have other Fatboys I use so this one rests in my razor box.

I have a few Gillette Fatboys, Slims and Super Adjustables, but they all hibernate somewhere in a drawer.
With the arrival of the Mühle open comb (R41) razor something new arrived on the scene and from that point my vintage razors lost appeal.

The development continued and now some stainless steel and platinum razors have arrived that outclasses in my opinion these vintage razors.
I also shave with straight razors (and drive a classic car), so I know about the appeal of vintage pieces of engineering, but as far as the quality of a shave is concerned, newer safety razors have IMO surpassed what vintage Gillettes could offer.

I recognise that not everyone may agree with me.

B

Last edited:
I have a few Gillette Fatboys, Slims and Super Adjustables, but they all hibernate somewhere in a drawer.
With the arrival of the Mühle open comb (R41) razor something new arrived on the scene and from that point my vintage razors lost appeal.

The development continued and now some stainless steel and platinum razors have arrived that outclasses in my opinion these vintage razors.
I also shave with straight razors (and drive a classic car), so I know about the appeal of a vintage pieces of engineering, but as far as the quality of a shave is concerned, newer safety razors have IMO surpassed what vintage Gillettes could offer.

I recognise that not everyone may agree with me.

B

I definitely can't say you're wrong about how you feel because that's how you feel. We all can like something different. It's great that we have that available to us and that these types of razors are getting some popularity again.

I think it's great there's new ideas and development. Like my Muramasa is a completely new way for the adjustable to operate. So is my Toggle very different from most all others besides the Red dot Fatboy. Different is good. But new doesn't mean better or worse then the old. Just different and someone will love it and someone will like it less.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
All my top 5 razors along with my old standby, the Claymore Evolution, are modern razors. I'm only keeping a one Vintage razor, i.e. a 1953 Y3 Super Speed @luvmysuper graciously PIF'd me and two modern razors our youngest son gave me: a Lupo Aluminum and a Merkur Progress.

It isn't that the Vintage Gillette razors I acquired aren't good shavers: they are. But I decided to only keep razors I'll use on a regular basis along with a few keepsakes that have sentimental value.

Top Bottom