What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

I tried out a Gillette Platinum today on the Windsor. What a great blade and fantastic shave. Smoothest blade I've tried on the Windsor so far while being plenty sharp to maintain the same shave efficiency. Left my face like glass and zero feel of any irritation.
I really love Bic's on every razor but one issue I don't like is that the first shave is not the best. It's awesome after shave #2+. The Gillette felt perfect on the first shave!
Great recommendation!!🙂
Do you have the GP in white box with the Blue letters or blue box with white letters?

Do you have the GP in white box with the Blue letters or blue box with white letters?
Now I'm curious. Is there a difference?
I have this one:

PXL_20220609_001255881~2.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Supposedly, there’s a difference between the blades if the dot over the “i” is a square (trapezoid) as opposed to the ones where the “i” dot is round. I wouldn’t know, I don’t have any with the round dot.
The ones I have been using have the round dot and listed for sale in gulf countries. I have three tucks left of them, and five tucks of the ones with the trapezoid dot I haven't used yet. Both are supposed to come from the same factory in Russia.

~doug~

An important thing to know about the Yates razor is that it favors a very steep angle. Personally, I like shallow-angle razors, so for me the Yates was a no-go from the outset. It shaved fine, but I don't enjoy shaving with a steep angle.

If you are a shallow-angle shaver like myself, you should probably avoid the Yates. I have never tried the Masamune, but from what I have read I think it would suit me better.
Tatara Masamura ( Adjustable ) gives you best of all worlds and quality wise is one of best ever made, if not best DE razor~ in my humble opinion! I have the Nodachi too..its aggressive and gives a great bbs shave.

Interesting difference using the Gillette Platinum's:
I was on a trip and took my Lupo .72 as my travel razor. I decided to take GP blades since they've been so fantastic with my Windsor. I was excited to try them out on the Lupo!
I usually had used Bic's or Feathers on the Lupo which gave me a nice close 2 pass DFS (But still not as close as my Windsor with any other blade).
Well, with the GP's I didn't get the same result as I have with the Bic or Feather. I had to do touch-up's and my close shave didn't last as long.
The GP's on my Windsor give me an amazing close (no touch up) shave that last a whole day!
I can only guess that the .72 (Lupo) vs. .80 (Windsor) is what makes the difference?
Or is it the fact that the Windsor costs 3 times as much? (LOL! That was a joke!!)

Interesting difference using the Gillette Platinum's:
I was on a trip and took my Lupo .72 as my travel razor. I decided to take GP blades since they've been so fantastic with my Windsor. I was excited to try them out on the Lupo!
I usually had used Bic's or Feathers on the Lupo which gave me a nice close 2 pass DFS (But still not as close as my Windsor with any other blade).
Well, with the GP's I didn't get the same result as I have with the Bic or Feather. I had to do touch-up's and my close shave didn't last as long.
The GP's on my Windsor give me an amazing close (no touch up) shave that last a whole day!
I can only guess that the .72 (Lupo) vs. .80 (Windsor) is what makes the difference?
Or is it the fact that the Windsor costs 3 times as much? (LOL! That was a joke!!)
Unfortunately that happens a lot. I only keep blades that work well in all my razors so I don’t have to remember which one to use in what razor.

Not sure why some blades work great in one razor and stink it up in another. My only conclusion is the difference in razor designs (blade angle, exposure, clamping), weight, etc.

Unfortunately that happens a lot. I only keep blades that work well in all my razors so I don’t have to remember which one to use in what razor.

Not sure why some blades work great in one razor and stink it up in another. My only conclusion is the difference in razor designs (blade angle, exposure, clamping), weight, etc.
I like the GP's so much in the Windsor that I thought it would work great in everything, Lol!
And those are the ones I grabbed on my way out when I packed for my trip. Now I know better!

I always say the same thing.... a broken record, to be sure.... but I think you should consider something completely different... the Executive Shaving Co Claymore Evolution... not a DE, of course... but a SE Artist Club razor. It fits your other criterium...

Take a short listen to Brian Mulreany's explanation of how the design was finalized, etc here:
I'm not yet convinced by the Claymore Evo. It seems very mild. I shaved with mine for the first time this morning. 4 hours later and I can already feel stubble growing on my face. I shall persevere.

Reactions: Kix

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not yet convinced by the Claymore Evo. It seems very mild. I shaved with mine for the first time this morning. 4 hours later and I can already feel stubble growing on my face. I shall persevere.
It's always YMMV, of course, but it makes short work of my old man grey whiskers.... I get around 10 hours or so of a smooth face. It is mild to use but very efficient, in my own experience.

I'm getting good results with both Feather ProGuard and Kai Captain Titan Mild MG with Guard blades. I should say.. the best results... I have several others that work but not as well.

Alright folks, so I'm ready to buy!
I need your help on what razor to pick!
Note: I've never even touched a high end razor so this will be fun!
You might have seen the thread I created a couple days ago:

I made that thread in order to get an idea of what the "quality" difference was between a lower cost razor and a "premium" razor.
You all racked up 5 pages worth of posts in that thread and it was full of excellent information!
Based on the information you posted, I now know that I want at least one premium razor which will cure my RAD (for now), LOL!!
I've set the budget up to $200 for my new razor to be. I might stretch it to $250 if need be or can be obviously less than $200!

My shaving habits are:
Daily 2 pass WTG & XTG night shaver which is content with a DFS. I like smooth but also like some blade feel and tend to favor razors that are mid to upper mid aggressiveness. Razorock Lupo .72 has been a decent performer so far for my particular results.
I also tend to favor razors with heads that aren't huge. For reference, I bought and tried a Merkur Futur and sold it the following week!
Short/mid size handles are my favorites!

Now the fun part. These are the ones I'm primarily looking at.
All models I'm looking at are closed comb and I most value function above aesthetics!
These are the top 3:
1. Tatara Masamune Nodachi with the Muramasa handle
2. Yates 921 machined or maybe polished with the H plate
3. Blackland Blackbird stainless machined with standard handle

View attachment 1459242View attachment 1459241View attachment 1459240

Next up are other possible contenders:
4. Timeless .95 stainless Matte or Polished with Barber pole handle (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section and it would be cheaper)
5. Above The Tie .80 Windsor Brushed matte finish with Kronos Handle
6. Karve Christopher Bradley Stainless with C or D plate and short handle
7. Karve Christopher Bradley Brass with C or D plate and short handle (This is the cheapest of the bunch but I added it because of the praise that it gets)
8. Timeless .38 Bronze (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section as well and it would be cheaper)

View attachment 1459261View attachment 1459260View attachment 1459259View attachment 1459258View attachment 1459257

So that's the (long) list making it tough to choose one.
I'd love to hear experiences and opinions on the brands/models that I've listed.
Your opinions matter and would help me narrow one down to what might work for me.
I hope to have one of them ordered in the next couple days.

LRod
Well, I think Henson razors offer something really new, innovative and unique. They're aluminum, and I've been surprised to find how much that agreed with me. Very easy to shave with. I like the colors too.

I just don't like the Henson handle design (it's unappealing to me, visually, which is unfortunate, as most people seem to like the Henson razor in general). I have opted for "The Winning Razor" instead. It has a similar head design, is far better looking (IMO, of course), is heavier, and a bit less expensive.

Last edited:
Well, I think Henson razors offer something really new, innovative and unique. They're aluminum, and I've been surprised to find how much that agreed with me. Very easy to shave with. I like the colors too.
The Henson is great but was never an option for me this time around because I wanted a high blade gap/forward blade design razor. I already have the "Winning" razor which is essentially the same as the Henson but in stainless steel. I bought it when I started wet shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom