What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

Well, there's only one statement concerning Karve's ATTENTION note that's true.

"Failure to remove the washer reduces the thread engagement."

And that reduction is less that two threads. Both my Timeless and ATT caps are cinched down tight with the washers in place with 5 1/4 rotations of the handle. Without the washer it takes an extra 1 1/2 or a full 6 3/4 turns of the handle to tighten. That extra thread engagement without the washer will make zero difference. All I'm saying is the washer will not contribute to any damage unless the threaded post is too short in the first place. In the end it will make zero difference whether one chooses to use or not use the washer when it comes to securing the cap/head to the handle.
Ok. If washers work for you, that's great. I'm not trying to sway anyone, just posting the manufacturer's recommendation.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think there is a huge difference, as was noted earlier, between a rubber washer or O-Ring and a nylon or delrin (acetal homopolymer from DuPont) washer. The latter are very dense.... there will be no play if those are used... rubber is a different story.

Understood! I didn't associate your post with my current Karve research. By the time the weekend comes around, my brain is fried from work! I should have looked back and referred to it. So it all boils down to absolute trial & error in order to make a comparison. I would have to buy & sell plates as I try them until I find the one I like. Or get lucky and pick the right one the first time around. Something like a D plate would be my guess!
Or maybe someone here has tried both razors. Come to think of it, @gdawg55 has had both. Maybe he can chime in. I remember him listing his favorites when I was buying the Windsor but didn't make references to the Karve CB because he never got along with it.
@gdawg55
I'd love to hear what exactly was your (not so good) experience with the Karve CB and compare it to the Windsor.
Yes, I tried the Karve CB with B, C, and D solid bar plates. No mater what I did, I got this weird blade feel during the shave. It was not like normal positive exposure blade feel like the Windsor or Blackbird, it was more like sharp pricks that felt almost like the blade was cutting me but wasn't.....kinda hard to explain. In a nutshell, I found the shave unpleasant. I've never experienced that with any other razor. Later found out that the CB likes a shallow shave angle....well I'm a steep angle guy so that may have been the issue. The Overlander on the other hand is a super razor and shaves very well in comparison.

The Windsor is a great shaver for me.....no weird blade feel like the CB. It's not the best at steeper angles but it's forgiving enough to work for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think there is a huge difference, as was noted earlier, between a rubber washer or O-Ring and a nylon or delrin (acetal homopolymer from DuPont) washer. The latter are very dense.... there will be no play if those are used... rubber is a different story.
There you go, Delrin. If I was going to use a washer, it would be Delrin. Instead I use handles with bronze nosepieces.

~doug~

Perma-Sharp, Nacet and Gillette Platinum.
I tried out a Gillette Platinum today on the Windsor. What a great blade and fantastic shave. Smoothest blade I've tried on the Windsor so far while being plenty sharp to maintain the same shave efficiency. Left my face like glass and zero feel of any irritation.
I really love Bic's on every razor but one issue I don't like is that the first shave is not the best. It's awesome after shave #2+. The Gillette felt perfect on the first shave!
Great recommendation!!🙂

Last edited:
I tried out a Gillette Platinum today on the Windsor. What a great blade and fantastic shave. Smoothest blade I've tried on the Windsor so far while being plenty sharp to maintain the same shave efficiency. Left my face like glass and zero feel of any irritation.
I really love Bic's on every razor but one issue I don't like is that the first shave is not the best. It's awesome after shave 2+. The Gillette felt perfect on the first shave.
Great recommendation!!🙂
Totally agree, I used a GP yesterday and was equally impressed by the combo.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Ok. If washers work for you, that's great. I'm not trying to sway anyone, just posting the manufacturer's recommendation.
I suspect that such recommendations are often merely a way to avoid potential warranty claims, similar to the Simpson care leaflet advice to use back and forth rather than circular brush strokes. Just do what you want without being willfully negligent is my advice 👍

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I really love Bic's on every razor but one issue I don't like is that the first shave is not the best. It's awesome after shave #2+. The Gillette felt perfect on the first shave!
Great recommendation!!🙂
Gillette Platinum has been my top blade for the past two years.

~doug~

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Shave #3 today! (I got nicked):confused:
Went to get a haircut and afterwards came home, took a bath and prepped for the shave.
I used the same Astra blade from yesterday and I guess I got complacent.
All was going perfect until I went over my Adam's apple (and felt that I inadvertently pushed). Smack dab in the middle of it is where I got nicked!
And it hurts when it happens there! First time too! For those that haven't experienced a nick there, avoid at all costs since it bleeds like heck, LOL!!
I hadn't gotten nicked in at least a couple months.
This razor is on the aggressive side and obviously less forgiving than everything else I've used up to now.
So I have to put into "muscle memory" to only use the weight of the razor. I usually do this anyways (except with my aluminum Lupo) but I guess I got careless for a millisecond. That's what happens when you're laser focused on how well it shaves and forget everything else that's required, LOL!!
It's actually really good on every other surface that's flat. I haven't even gotten the slightest razor burn!
But yes, I've noted to self: Careful when in the vicinity of the Adam's apple.
Other than that, it performs as awesome as it looks!
From here forward, I'll be experimenting with different blades and will post results in the future after I've had lots of shaves.
LRod
Glad your enjoying your new razor and your shaves are getting better everytime. On the nick on your Adams apple I saw a neet tip on YouTube by Kevy Shaves. When shaving around that area take a gulp and hold it in and the Adams apple disappears hope this helps.

Great recommendation!!🙂
Nice....I'll have to give that bald a try. I don't think I've used a GP yet in my Windsor. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad your enjoying your new razor and your shaves are getting better everytime. On the nick on your Adams apple I saw a neet tip on YouTube by Kevy Shaves. When shaving around that area take a gulp and hold it in and the Adams apple disappears hope this helps.
Cool!
I just tried it (without shaving) and it works, Lol!!
The things you learn and never notice!
Thanks

Nice....I'll have to give that bald a try. I don't think I've used a GP yet in my Windsor. Thanks for the heads up.
Look, I shaved again this morning with the Gillette again just because, Lol!! (I normally shave once at night).
So far I've tried The Gillette's, Astra, Bic & Feathers. I can honestly say that the Gillette platinum's are the definite for daily shaving (which is what I do). At least for me!
My growth was like 2% more pronounced 13 hours later vs. the Feather & Bic but for me that's ok since I shave daily. The smoothness of the shave makes up for that 2% difference. If feels like butter while shaving and I can feel that my skin is happier after I'm done. With the other blades, it feels like I'm peeling some sort of protective superficial upper layer of skin that shouldn't be coming off. I don't know if that makes any sense but that's what I feel and that's my crappy description of it, Lol!!😀
Point is that with the Platinum's, I don't feel that. Total smoothness & the right amount of efficiency!
I just ordered a box!!🙂

Last edited:
Look, I shaved again this morning with the Gillette again just because, Lol!! (I normally shave once at night).
So far I've tried The Gillette's, Astra, Bic & Feathers. I can honestly say that the Gillette platinum's are the definite for daily shaving (which is what I do). At least for me!
My growth was like 2% more pronounced 13 hours later vs. the Feather & Bic but for me that's ok since I shave daily. The smoothness of the shave makes up for that 2% difference. If feels like butter while shaving and I can feel that my skin is happier after I'm done. With the other blades, it feels like I'm peeling some sort of protective superficial upper layer of skin that shouldn't be coming off. I don't know if that makes any sense but that's what I feel and that's my crappy description of it, Lol!!😀
Point is that with the Platinum's, I don't feel that. Total smoothness & the right amount of efficiency!
I just ordered a box!!🙂
Well, that's all we can ask for in our shave.....close, comfortable, and awesome. I have about 50 of them stashed away somewhere. I will dig them out and give them a go. Maybe they'll work well for me too.....never a bad thing to add a good blade to the list. I usually use Astra, 7 O'clock Platinum, and German Wilkinson Sword with my Windsor as they all seem to be good performers. The GP may knock one of these out of rotation......we shall see.

Great recommendation!!🙂
Awesome!! The platinum is my number one in all of my ATT razors!

Awesome!! The platinum is my number one in all of my ATT razors!
I'm not much of an experimental guy. When I land on something that really works, it's usually good enough for me. So I'm just gonna stick with them. If at some point my skin decides to reject them, then I'll look for something else. But for now, they're the winners!
And it's amazing because I always had a tuck (from a sampler pack) and I never even looked at them, Lol!!

I got my eyes on the Blutt.

1654721210409.jpeg

I got my eyes on the Blutt.

View attachment 1469118
Love that razor! Beautiful design!
I saw it a while back but the price at $250 makes it a "I have to really think about it" purchase, Lol!
Another nice one as well in the same price range is the Apollo Helix. If I were to buy one, I'd have trouble picking one of the two!
I guess considering that the Blutt is Swiss made would make it reasonable at $250.
Everything Swiss is over engineered so it must be pretty awesome!

Love that razor! Beautiful design!
I saw it a while back but the price at $250 makes it a "I have to really think about it" purchase, Lol!
Another nice one as well in the same price range is the Apollo Helix. Igninwete to buy one, I'd have trouble picking one!
What keeps me from pulling the trigger is crazy customs. They go nuts with these kind of things where I’m from.

All these years I thought one rubber was like any other rubber. Guess they make all kinds nowadays. 🤔 Just make sure they fit tight or it can slip off and go down the drain. Remember to have fun and be safe…no clogged drains.

Top Bottom