What's new

I'm Canadian. I made my famous super hot chili

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
VEGETARIAN chili? What the ...

This has been a fun thread, I'll have to hang out here more often. But my first thought when I clicked on it was, "What in the world? Why are we letting Canuckistanians tell us about chili? It would be like the Texans telling them how we make Poutine!"

Dying to try your recipe, Aaron!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

This has been a fun thread, I'll have to hang out here more often. But my first thought when I clicked on it was, "What in the world? Why are we letting Canuckistanians tell us about chili? It would be like the Texans telling them how we make Poutine!"

You have to understand that Ian (@Doc4) is trolling me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Mmmmm…poutine.

Growing up with two parents that were raised in working class homes with depression era, midwestern cooking, chili always was made with some kind of beans, usually kidney beans.

I lived in the UK and chili beans are also very common there, I think for the same reasons. It was an inexpensive meal people could make.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I believe in chili made with meat and heat, but for Frito pie I love the five bean chili at the Texas Chili Parlor. I go back and forth among their XXX chili dog, their beef enchiladas, and that Frito pie.

When relatives from Texas came to visit at Christmas, our Christmas Eve supper consisted of four dishes--Oyster stew, tomato soup, chili with beans, and no-bean chili. I'll leave it to the board to guess which one the Texans ate.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
When relatives from Texas came to visit at Christmas, our Christmas Eve supper consisted of four dishes--Oyster stew, tomato soup, chili with beans, and no-bean chili. I'll leave it to the board to guess which one the Texans ate.
I live in Austin, but I'd go for oyster stew! Born in Boston... ;0)

I live in Austin, but I'd go for oyster stew! Born in Boston... ;0)
It is a one-time-a-year thing for us, on Christmas Eve. Personally I like it, and hope for some leftovers to enjoy later. Years ago when my wife's parents were still alive, the gathering on Christmas Eve was large, 20 to 25 people, and the oyster stew was made in a large pot with two gallons of milk, chopped celery and onion, and alot of butter and oysters. A few bags of soup crackers were on the table, and to me are a must for oyster stew. Oyster stew is easy to make, give it a try if you haven't yet.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It is a one-time-a-year thing for us, on Christmas Eve. Personally I like it, and hope for some leftovers to enjoy later. Years ago when my wife's parents were still alive, the gathering on Christmas Eve was large, 20 to 25 people, and the oyster stew was made in a large pot with two gallons of milk, chopped celery and onion, and alot of butter and oysters. A few bags of soup crackers were on the table, and to me are a must for oyster stew. Oyster stew is easy to make, give it a try if you haven't yet.
Been making it over half a century. I love oysters, stewed, pan fried, deep fried, Rockefeller, or with a squeeze of lemon and a twist of pepper. My parents lived in Annapolis, a great town for Oysters.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Growing up with two parents that were raised in working class homes with depression era, midwestern cooking, chili always was made with some kind of beans, usually kidney beans.

I lived in the UK and chili beans are also very common there, I think for the same reasons. It was an inexpensive meal people could make.
Grandparents, in my case. Beans were cheap protein- beef was a luxury. I like both types- but would never call a chili with beans Texas Red. That is a pretty specific name, and the Rangers might knock on my door. :)

Grandparents, in my case. Beans were cheap protein- beef was a luxury. I like both types- but would never call a chili with beans Texas Red. That is a pretty specific name, and the Rangers might knock on my door. :)

Usually the chili had both hamburger and beans together, that was the normal way we made chili in our house and I think it's pretty common in the Midwest to make chili that way in general.

here in Wisconsin beans are in chili, otherwise it's not chili, the biggest problem we have here in Wisconsin is whether or not macaroni noodles noodles go in chili or not. I remember when I moved to Wisconsin, I asked for fritos and sour cream to put into my chili and didn't want noodles and everyone just stared at me like I had killed their first newborn in front of them.

as much as I like Wisconsin the sterotype people have here on people not from Wisconsin is a little disgusting. Culinary it's a pretty sad state, unless you like salt and pepper and casserole dishes with little to no imagination and or thought.

The one thing Wisconsin does do good is fresh meats, sausages, and of course cheeses. And of course beer and micro brews. But alot of other states are passing us up in that category too.

I love making chili and I make about 5 to 10 pots of it a year, and every pot is different, and every pot gets something different and every pot tastes different as it should. I have family that can't do meat, so I brown ground beef on the side and leave it out so people can add it if they so wish.

Top Bottom