What's new

Ikon Shavecraft Tech vs Spitfire R41: Godzilla vs Mothra

Do you know that the base plate on the R41 (2011) is smaller than the R41 (2013). Therefore your comparison is not truly reflective of the Muhle R41 (2011)

A good point, but the OP compares the Shavecraft Tech to the Spitfire R41.

Perhaps someone who owns both a 2011 R41 and and a Spitfire with a 2013 baseplate could comment on how alike they are, and we could triangulate...

So I returned to the Shavecraft Tech this morning:
proxy.php

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's my all time favourite razor - after a prolonged period of shaving with Artist Clubs, Mongoose and straights the Shavecraft Tech has delivered a super aggressive yet very easy shave with no nicks, weepers or irritation of any sort and given BBS even on my neck.
Hmmm... perhaps it is the ultimate razor after all...
... I've talked to people who replaced their Cobras with the 2011 R41 and I can feel that the Shavecraft Tech is a real competitor with my Mongoose for "ultimate razor".

Anybody else have both Mongoose and Shavecraft Tech and can make a similar comparison?

Great information and analysis. I have a 2013 R41 that I really enjoy. I may have to consider trying the Tech based on what I just read. I guess it never ends.

proxy.php

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's my all time favourite razor - after a prolonged period of shaving with Artist Clubs, Mongoose and straights the Shavecraft Tech has delivered a super aggressive yet very easy shave with no nicks, weepers or irritation of any sort and given BBS even on my neck.
... I've talked to people who replaced their Cobras with the 2011 R41 and I can feel that the Shavecraft Tech is a real competitor with my Mongoose for "ultimate razor".

Anybody else have both Mongoose and Shavecraft Tech and can make a similar comparison?

Is that a Myatt Daymark I see in your shave bowl? What do you have to say about that one? I see them now and then, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger because of proprietary blades.

Is that a Myatt Daymark I see in your shave bowl? What do you have to say about that one? I see them now and then, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger because of proprietary blades.

Well spotted - standard DE blades get distorted in the Daymark but I had some NOS compatible blades to try out this morning.
Unfortunately those blades turned out to be too corroded to use so I reached for the Shavecraft Tech instead and I'm glad I did.
Judging just in blade feel, I'd guess the Daymark might shave like a British NEW but I'm not going to find out now...

Well spotted - standard DE blades get distorted in the Daymark but I had some NOS compatible blades to try out this morning.
Unfortunately those blades turned out to be too corroded to use so I reached for the Shavecraft Tech instead and I'm glad I did.
Judging just in blade feel, I'd guess the Daymark might shave like a British NEW but I'm not going to find out now...

That's unfortunate, it's a very unique looking razor and maybe a good performer (with the right blades). Let me know if you ever get tired of it.

proxy.php

I'm a sucker for aggressive razors. I'm currently rotating FaTip, ATT S2, Wolfman open comb @.74mm, R41 (2013), ATT H2 and Ikon Tech, in increasing order of aggressiveness. I have a 2011 R41 en route, and emailed Mongoose tonight to place an order. With Feather Super Pro blades. I suspect I will meet my match, as the Shavecraft Tech comes mighty close.

A return to the Spitfire R41 this morning with an IP and what a beautiful shave:
proxy.php

A fantastic two pass shave to get me smart enough for work after I'd got up late.

After time with other full on razors like the Mongoose, Cobra Classic and, of course, the Shavecraft Tech, I really appreciated how smooth and comfortable the Spitfire R41 feels on the face.
A quick, easy and super shave.

Just about to pull the trigger on the Shavecraft Tech.
My current favorite is the R41-13.
Trying to decide on which handle. I don't currently have a handle that I love...
Thinking about the bulldog. Need a bit more research.
Thanks for the review!

Just about to pull the trigger on the Shavecraft Tech.
My current favorite is the R41-13.
Trying to decide on which handle. I don't currently have a handle that I love...
Thinking about the bulldog. Need a bit more research.
Thanks for the review!

You might also consider this magnificent piece: [I mean for the sake of the handle, which more than worth it by itself]

https://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/matador-toro-mastiff-close-comb-double-edge-razor-largo

...they also make a short version of this (the Corto). They look even better in person (the photos aren't real well done).

I have the Nellie. It is a wonderful shaver. I also have Wardonia, R41 and Fasan Double slant. All of them very aggressive and superb shavers. After reading this thread I ordered the Tech. Must to try it.

And here's the opinion of an experienced B&B member who finds the Spitfire as aggressive as the 2011:
proxy.php

So I guess even with something as seemingly objective as this, YMMV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shavecraft Tech ordered today with some birthday money. I was going to go with the Ikon bulldog handle, but decided on the Maggard MR11 along with the V3A head. I think it's pretty much the same handle and got an extra head to try out.
Of course I had to add a few more items to get to the $75 free shipping. :tongue_sm
Will it dethrone the R41-13 as my favorite?

Fabulous diagrams - the blade exposure of the ST looks bigger than the R41...

I use steep angle with both the Shaveecraft Tech and the Spitfire R41.

Well it looks to me as if the Shavecraft Tech has the greatest blade exposure in these pictures:
proxy.php

And you're right that there's much more blade curvature on the Shavecraft Tech.
That must be why the blade feels so rigid with the ST.

Well it looks to me as if the Shavecraft Tech has the greatest blade exposure in these pictures:
proxy.php

And you're right that there's much more blade curvature on the Shavecraft Tech.
That must be why the blade feels so rigid with the ST.

The last picture, of the ikon, isn't mine. The first two are.

I'll just add my $0.02 and say that if you see it from the proper angle, as in the picture bellow, and as I did with the first two pictures, the blade exposure of the ikon doesn't look so scary:

$pMrRfZ6.jpg

The last picture, of the ikon, isn't mine. The first two are.

I'll just add my $0.02 and say that if you see it from the proper angle, as in the picture bellow, and as I did with the first two pictures, the blade exposure of the ikon doesn't look so scary:

View attachment 652266

OK fair comment :)
So is there anybody here who has both the actual 2011 R41 and the Shavecraft Tech to make a direct comparison.

I think, as the OP intended, we've established that the ST marginally outperforms the Spitfire R41 in terms of aggression and shave longevity, but the Spitfire is a smoother shaver and they are both magnificent razors.

But what about the real deal 2011 R41 vs Shavecraft Tech?

I'd assumed that the Spitfire was the equivalent or more efficient than the 2011, but petrounkas makes a very good point about the difference in baseplates between 2011 and 2013 R41...

I know the baseplate of the 2013 is wider from A to B, it almost completely covers the side tabs of the blade. But is the 2011 also narrower from C to D?

$Muhle_base_zps2f876220.jpg

Top Bottom