What's new

If you WEREN'T a hobbyist, what would you choose or recommend?

I think the best value/performance ratio is the RazoRock Lupo.
So, that's my answer.

(or a vintage Gillette Tech, if you *really* dont want to spend. ;-)
Agreed on both counts!

Vintage Tech if they aren't weirded out by used razor stuff and want something inexpensive and great, Lupo 72 if they're willing to pony up some of that cash they'd spend on replacement cartridges anyway.

The are collectors, and minimalists. Both use Razors, and their likes, recommendation’s, and dislikes. Are like their DNA individual opinions.

If you hear the ssmr thing over, and over it could have more validity than a one trick pony.

Gillette once owned the Safety Razor World, we got people use Gillettes Older than owner.

Or not as old as owner, only 40 or 50 years ol. Still working.

Says something about King C Gillettes product.

Just a Tech. Really, they got it right on the first try.
Ditto. Vintage nickel plated brass (or zinc) razors with patent numbers (but no serial numbers) has a quality and more importantly a romance, no current shiny polished CNC'ed marine grade stainless steel or titanium razor will match for another fifty years :)

The pre-WWII ones are especially great, the greatest generation!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
And it is both fun and enlightening to talk about razors. If I share a great bottle of wine and later share that same wine again, it will still be fun to talk about it. If I see a dog win a dog show, it will be fun to watch it compete again. Our "takes" change over time, and we learn of more and more alternatives, some older and some newer. I have been a one razor guy and have made a few changes over the years. I love my ATT Windsor, but since they hit my radar, I find both Rex adjustables intriguing, probably the Konsul more so.

If they are coming from carts and just want something because carts are expensive and irritating the Henson.
If they want a more classic feel the Rockwell.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven’t responded to this thread yet mainly because we are all so different. I can suggest the brand new people read a lot, esp the journals and various every day threads.

It’s easy to buy a few less expensive razors and not find one that suits you the best. How do I know? I recently sold 11 very good razors at attractive prices, along with a few choice brushes, to fund a razor that might just rule them all.

We’ll be celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary in June. I have learned: I am not qualified to give marital advice. I hesitate to offer shaving advice for similar reasons. If your face and whiskers are similar to mine, you might learn from my journey. If not, equipment-wise, I’ll be of little help. But we all learn from each other about brushes, soaps, brushes, shaving angles, so many things. That’s what makes this place so enjoyable.

Merkur 33C or 34C razor.

Any blade, but made in Europe blades are more reliable and consistent (Merkur and Muhle for me).

Synthetic brush.

Any cream and aftershave. Proraso products are widely available and inexpensive, high quality and their green line smells very nice.

The Game Changer .84 will always be my first choice. For those who want more efficiency, the Lupo .95 will do the job. The solid bar and the open comb choices remain a personal preference.

Funny seeing this …

Just re introduced my 81yr old dad back to DE Shaving

I’ve bought him what I’ve bought myself and hopefully saved him some learning curve.

Merkur 39c
6/7 different packs razors.
Stirling Soap and Stirling Aftershave
Yaqi Synthetic Brush
Nice plain black Brush/bowl/razor stand
Styptic pencil or matches

Before trialing the Razor he trialled the soap/aftershave/brush etc … just using his normal cartridge he thought it the best shave ever !!!

So now he’s got the shower first and prep down he’s ready for the DE

Last edited:
Top Bottom