What's new

If you WEREN'T a hobbyist, what would you choose or recommend?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Whether choosing it for yourself or recommending it to someone else, what would it be, assuming they just wanted one razor to say, "Yes, this is awesome..."? Would you direct them (or yourself) to vintage Gillettes? Maybe multiplates, like Rockwells, or something else, like an ATT or a Feather? Since not everyone is ready to embrace this as a hobby, yet, what is the consensus choice that will satisfy the most, providing the best all around balance of comfort, closeness, ease of use, efficiency, and anything else, realizing that for some specific beard and technique, something else might be better? Maybe this is an indirect way of asking, "So what really intrigues you?" but actually requires some firsthand experience.

Multi-plate. Although I haven't used it, I would not hesitate to say Rockwell 6s, for someone looking to be one and done. This is based on price, availability, & reputation. Well, I might hesitate a little because you ask "What intrigues me?" and that would be the Karve, which is much more interesting to me.

To someone new that wants something to shave with I'd recommend something in all stainless steel that is at a lower price point. Maybe one of the Razorock razors like a Game Changer. If they wanted to spend a little more then maybe something from Timeless or Blackland.

For the, spare no expense, hobbyist I'd recommend a Wolfman razor.

I could only say this among the razors I have used which are, Merkur 34c, Gillette Tech, Gillette Superspeed, Gillette New open comb, Schick Krona, VDH razor, Gillette Slim, Gillette Fatboy, Schick Injector, Parker Injector, Wilkinson Sword Classic, and twin cartridges and twin disposables. If you want to start into DE I would definitely suggest the Slim adjustable or the Fatboy. For single edge I would recommend the Parker Injector. If you plan to stick to cartridges/disposables then whatever turns your fancy on those. Of those razors I listed I would never part with the Slim. Even though I don't use it much I would never get rid of the Schick Injector, it was my Dad's. The Fatboy runs a close 2nd and now the new Parker Injector I just got is really a nice shaver and for the money it is reasonably priced for a new razor. I can't comment on any of the other razors out there since I have not used them.

Your question reminds me of an observation made by the guest speaker at my Officer Candidate School graduation. He was a former F-4 Phantom pilot in Vietnam who'd been shot down and spent time as a POW.

His advice: Obey the 10 Commandments.Everything else is BS.

In a shaving context, I would say seek ye the Tech or the Super Speed. Buy one or the other...and content yourself with this alone.

Whether choosing it for yourself or recommending it to someone else, what would it be, assuming they just wanted one razor to say, "Yes, this is awesome..."? Would you direct them (or yourself) to vintage Gillettes? Maybe multiplates, like Rockwells, or something else, like an ATT or a Feather? Since not everyone is ready to embrace this as a hobby, yet, what is the consensus choice that will satisfy the most, providing the best all around balance of comfort, closeness, ease of use, efficiency, and anything else, realizing that for some specific beard and technique, something else might be better? Maybe this is an indirect way of asking, "So what really intrigues you?" but actually requires some firsthand experience.
I don’t consider myself a hobbyist and I purchased a Rockwell 6S. I appreciate the multi plate system and the durability of the stainless steel. I don’t regret my purchase at all, nor do I find myself second guessing what I did. I often swap between the 4 plate & the 2 plate on the same shave.

That being send, the vintage Gillette’s are a good choice as well. They have proven their longevity and Gillette knew what they were doing way back then. If you were to go with a vintage razor, I would suggest the Tech. I hear lots of folks race about it and not one negative comment. If you want the flexibility of an adjustable, then I would choose the Fat Boy.

What is your budget? You get what you pay for.

If I had to recommend someone a razor without introducing them to the rabbit hole of shaving, I'd go with the Wilkinson Sword DE razor. The chrome looking one, not the plastic. It's a mild razor that's visually appealing.

A Game Changer. Great price and a person that knows zero about DE shaving will still recognize the excellent build quality of a GC. And, of course, the shaves aren't half-bad either! 😉
+1 I would suggest the Gamechanger as well. If that person wants to spend a little more I would suggest Tatara Masamune, pricey but worth it imo.

Top Bottom