What's new

If you were to purchase a Gillette Adjustable 195 - Best date code for quality

Sorry to be a dummy, but I'm still trying to work my around the enormous number of razor models and variations. Are you referring to a Fat Boy or a superspeed. I put 1958 and D4 into eBay and only came up with superspeeds. I am interested as i really like the idea of being anble to pull it apart and clean it out real good myself!

In D4 which is the last quarter of 1958 Gillette made the 195 "fatboy" as well as a Superspeed that they called the "TV" Superspeed. They also made their regular Superspeeds including if I recall correctly a Red Tip. I don't recall whether they made the blue and black tip that year. The TV was, as I understand it, named for television, but I have no idea why. That razor has different knurling than the regular Superspeed.

So yes, D4 195's exist. I have at least one. I don't believe I have any of the other D4 razors Gillette made.

Thanks for the heads up ... Lots of great information on there and i did get my questions about the date coding answered. Unfortunately no information on there about whether the bottom plate with screws extends into the E1 and E2 series. I will keep on hunting for the answer.
From Glenn Conti's site:
"The models from 1958 D-3 through 1960 F-2 are especially popular because they are more easily taken apart to be cleaned. This is because the retainer cap in the end of the handle has two service notches that allow for partial disassembly. Another change occurred during the E-3 period. During the E-3 period, Gillette redesigned the part that appears just below the adjustment dial and eliminated a small collar just below the adjuster's knurling. So that means you can find E-3's with and without collars. See pictures below. So there are different designs of the Standard Fatboy razor - The razors from D-3 to E-3a (collar and service notches) - The razors from E-3b to F-2 (no collar but with service notches) - And finally, the razors from F-3 to H-1 (no collar and no service notches). Recently it was discovered that there exists some F-3's, F-4's and even a G-3 with service notches (but these are more rare); this implies that there were multiple lines making Fatboys, some lines using the old parts and some lines using the new parts."

I have seen and have owned (but not now) E-3s and F-1s without service notches.
HTH.
Tom

From Glenn Conti's site:
"The models from 1958 D-3 through 1960 F-2 are especially popular because they are more easily taken apart to be cleaned. This is because the retainer cap in the end of the handle has two service notches that allow for partial disassembly. Another change occurred during the E-3 period. During the E-3 period, Gillette redesigned the part that appears just below the adjustment dial and eliminated a small collar just below the adjuster's knurling. So that means you can find E-3's with and without collars. See pictures below. So there are different designs of the Standard Fatboy razor - The razors from D-3 to E-3a (collar and service notches) - The razors from E-3b to F-2 (no collar but with service notches) - And finally, the razors from F-3 to H-1 (no collar and no service notches). Recently it was discovered that there exists some F-3's, F-4's and even a G-3 with service notches (but these are more rare); this implies that there were multiple lines making Fatboys, some lines using the old parts and some lines using the new parts."

I have seen and have owned (but not now) E-3s and F-1s without service notches.
HTH.
Tom

Thank you for this Tom. I didn't know any of this. I thought that the service notches were simply discontinued about a year or two after 1958. Goes to show how one should always keep an open mind for new information. Thanks again.

No question in my mind, 1958. The first quarter that it went into national production is marked D4. It has a bottom plate that can be unscrewed to take the razor apart for cleaning. That plate was later changed to a crimp on plate that cannot be removed without the possibility of damage. I don't recall the year that the plate was changed, but it was later in the production run
Zmy last FB was an f3 with the screw on handle cap(i only buy FBs with the screw cap cause i disassemble for drying. Just somethin extra for me to tinker with to make my shave last a bit longer

Top Bottom