What's new

If you were to purchase a Gillette Adjustable 195 - Best date code for quality

I always like firsts but.. My romantic first inclination says I want A D3-E2. This is what my Grandfather shaved with.. Being in manufacturing myself, not razors but all things that fly. I'm wondering, slightly if the E3-E4 were better - hear me out but - because they were the second run, thus learned from the first. Any feedback from you gents would be much appreciated.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I always like firsts but.. My romantic first inclination says I want A D3-E2. This is what my Grandfather shaved with.. Being in manufacturing myself, not razors but all things that fly. I'm wondering, slightly if the E3-E4 were better - hear me out but - because they were the second run, thus learned from the first. Any feedback from you gents would be much appreciated.
I have a Fatboy E3 and I like it and it just beats my Slim for comfort marginally IMO. It is a well built razor and feels good in my hand and it's a birth yr razor that I got at a Antique store in the sticks for $20. Very happy camper with it.
Gillette Fatboy 1959-E4  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

No question in my mind, 1958. The first quarter that it went into national production is marked D4. It has a bottom plate that can be unscrewed to take the razor apart for cleaning. That plate was later changed to a crimp on plate that cannot be removed without the possibility of damage. I don't recall the year that the plate was changed, but it was later in the production run.

No question in my mind, 1958. The first quarter that it went into national production is marked D4. It has a bottom plate that can be unscrewed to take the razor apart for cleaning. That plate was later changed to a crimp on plate that cannot be removed without the possibility of damage. I don't recall the year that the plate was changed, but it was later in the production run.
Just checked my Fatboy- it is a D4....where are the screws to disassemble? Can you include a picture? Thanks

Just checked my Fatboy- it is a D4....where are the screws to disassemble? Can you include a picture? Thanks
Look inside the bottom of the TTO knob. You'll see two little holes 180 degrees apart - that's the retaining nut. Take a sturdy paper clip that just fits into the holes, unfold it so it's a big U, then bend the two tips down at a 90 degrees angle. You now have a wrench to unscrew the retaining nut.

I have an F2 that I love, but Captain Murphy, who is pretty much the definitive expert on Gillette adjustables, once said that there's something special about the D Fatboys.

I think the later ones used a crimp on washer inside the bottom of the TTO knob. If you ever want to disassemble yours, one of the earlier ones with the screw on washer is a little easier to take apart. Not necessarily a deal breaker if you find a later one in good shape though. They're all made well.

Thank you.. I will let you know how it shaves!!

Thank you.. I will let you know how it shaves!!
I have an F2 that I love, but Captain Murphy, who is pretty much the definitive expert on Gillette adjustables, once said that there's something special about the D Fatboys.
Agreed, can't really go wrong.. Should just shoot to get every year and compare.. Thank you for the feedback..

Look inside the bottom of the TTO knob. You'll see two little holes 180 degrees apart - that's the retaining nut. Take a sturdy paper clip that just fits into the holes, unfold it so it's a big U, then bend the two tips down at a 90 degrees angle. You now have a wrench to unscrew the retaining nut.
Yes, just as you described, next time I clean will try it, and thanks for the paper clip tip

OMG.. Just received official word from Mrs. Mt Grown.. She said I could (without any shaming) get the fat boy that I have always wanted.. I'm with gwsmallwood with the captain's assessment. Currently in the market for a D3 because I really think they are that special. I am not sure what this will set me back but, who cares. I would love any feedback from the community where I can find NOS or mint condition.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
OMG.. Just received official word from Mrs. Mt Grown.. She said I could (without any shaming) get the fat boy that I have always wanted.. I'm with gwsmallwood with the captain's assessment. Currently in the market for a D3 because I really think they are that special. I am not sure what this will set me back but, who cares. I would love any feedback from the community where I can find NOS or mint condition.
Awesome. Post a ‘Want to Buy’ on the B/S/T thread. Someone will have one on B&B.

It's killing me and I want to.. (timing is crucial, not sure how long Mrs. going to be in this mood) I just purchased a red tip super a few days ago from BST and locked a For Trade I had.. It appears I am in B&B timeout for 11 days. I do not know why.. I will throw myself to the mercy of the Ambassadors of this site Monday and be them to let me post..

Hannah's Dad

It's killing me and I want to.. (timing is crucial, not sure how long Mrs. going to be in this mood) I just purchased a red tip super a few days ago from BST and locked a For Trade I had.. It appears I am in B&B timeout for 11 days. I do not know why.. I will throw myself to the mercy of the Ambassadors of this site Monday and be them to let me post..
You can only post every 14 days; so yeah, you’re locked out from posting again for a bit.

The two date codes are same old, same old! parts are even interchangeable mix and match!

Which brings me back to where I started. I am checking Ebay and Etsy.. I for whatever reason am turned off by getting a fully refurb from Razor Emporium etc.. I guess I am looking for something with a story. Original Nickel plating not Rhodium or Gold. Not refurbished but authentic and original. Does anyone know of a reputable source?

Hannah's Dad

Which brings me back to where I started. I am checking Ebay and Etsy.. I for whatever reason am turned off by getting a fully refurb from Razor Emporium etc.. I guess I am looking for something with a story. Original Nickel plating not Rhodium or Gold. Not refurbished but authentic and original. Does anyone know of a reputable source?
Reputable source? BST.

Is he the guy on you-tube that takes them apart with rapping a rag around the parts clinching vise-grips around the parts and waking the vise-grip with a hammer... Really a crude way for a definitive expert.

Top Bottom