If you could only pick one forever...

If I were to trim my setup down to just one of each item it would have to be:
MWF
Omega 6121 super badger
Rockwell 6S (red)
Personna Lab Blue
TOBS Sandalwood aftershave

That would keep me happy 🙂

Tough call, I've been using Arko for a long while, those pucks last a long time. I just bought a dozen of their shaving soap sticks. I use Col. Conk Bay Rum soap in a screw lid travel container for traveling and since I just finished an Arko puck and haven't done any traveling in a while, I decided to use the Conk Bay Rum from my dopp kit just to use it up since it's pretty old. I have and have tried other, more expensive stuff but these are the two I keep coming back to. I also really liked the Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword sticks but sadly, they are no more. All that to say I think I'd pick the Col. Conk Bay Rum soap, the Arko is a bit drying. As far as aftershave goes, when I use it, I use my own home made Bay Rum aftershave. My wife likes it and the scent is light and dissipates quickly. Store bought aftershaves choke my wife and I up and we both get sore, scratchy throats no matter how little I use, sometimes just a whiff from a bottle is enough to choke me up all day. I don't know if it's the denatured alcohol in them or what. Since I lost my sense of smell almost 30 years ago, the scent doesn't matter to me, it's strictly for my wife and she's just not a big fan of perfumes, colognes, aftershaves.

If I were to trim my setup down to just one of each item it would have to be:
MWF
Omega 6121 super badger
Rockwell 6S (red)
Personna Lab Blue
TOBS Sandalwood aftershave

That would keep me happy 🙂
Because Rockwell 6S (Red) shaves better then Rockwell 6S (Blue)? 🤣

Soap: Palmolive or MDC Fougere
Splash: Thayer's Original witch hazel
Balm: Razorock Signature Scent Aftershave Wax

Same thing everyday.

La Toja smashed into a tub and Gent`s Gin AS. Love the juniper and cedar in that splash. Almost went with Speick but prefer the clean PSF of La Toja if it's the only one. No balm.

Soap: Canada shave soap
Cream: Proraso green
AS: Proraso green
Balm: Proraso green although I don't use unless I have a rough shave

Honorable mentions:
Ach Brito Musgo soap, Gillette Pure cream, PAA CaD aftershave

Here are my choices based on performance, price, & availability...

Soap: Arko
Splash: Witch Hazel
Balm: CeraVe

I've purchased twelve sticks of Arko for $12, a bottle of Witch Hazel currently sells for about $2, and CeraVe can be found for less than $1 per ounce.

There may be more favorable products out there, but these three meet my desired criteria.

Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury (I make it into a stick, works great.)
Aftershave: Speick

I only use a balm when I have a rough shave which is very rare these days. But when I do use it, it is Nivea.

Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury (I make it into a stick, works great.)
Aftershave: Speick

I only use a balm when I have a rough shave which is very rare these days. But when I do use it, it is Nivea.
Funny, Half the fun of the balm is the scent. I usually start with a splash then finish with a balm. there's nothing that Nivea could layer over that would smell good.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Where I live we are allowed to use different soaps and aftershaves during our lives.
Isn't it nice?

I can't seem to get totally engaged in the "this razor/brush/soap" forever scenario. I don't "need" variety but I find it comforting to know that we can have several tools that work well for us without artificial limitations. I like it when I get accustomed to using a particular tool as I've mentioned before. But I have a modest collection of wood planes... each for a different application. It's the same with hammers... and even power nailers. Even though razors, brushes and soaps all accomplish the same task, how they get there can vary and I find that interesting.

The only part of shaving that doesn't interest me much is the scents of the soaps available. I know this is a huge part of wet shaving for so many people here on B&B. Scent discussions spring up almost every day. I have a few unscented soaps on the way, to go along with the other two I have. The ingredients used to add the scents seem to react with my old man skin... I don't have a very good sense of smell... and I don't like overpowering scents, ever.

I don't own one After Shave... .but I do have a very nice, signature cologne I wear on special occasions.

Last edited:
Isn't it nice?

I can't seem to get totally engaged in the "this razor/brush/soap" forever scenario. I don't "need" variety but I find it comforting to know that we can have several tools that work well for us without artificial limitations. I like it when I get accustomed to using a particular tool as I've mentioned before. But I have a modest collection of wood planes... each for a different application. It's the same with hammers... and even power nailers. Even though razors, brushes and soaps all accomplish the same task, how they get there can vary and I find that interesting.
It’s definitely part of the enjoyment. Probably anyone who has more than one razor (plus perhaps another in their travel kit) is a hobbyist. And soaps, brushes, aftershaves, blades are additional ways to explore this from a hobbyist perspective. We probably all start out just searching for something that is better than what we have, but soon discover that there are many good alternatives that give different experiences, and we embrace variety as a valid goal too.

There’s surely something deeper as well that rewards us when we make a hobby out of what is usually just a mundane daily task, and it’s a great thing if we can find pleasure from the mundane. I distinctly remember the first time I finished reading Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance and I immediately went to hang the washing out to dry and derived a lot of pleasure from the feeling that I was taking my time to do it in a ‘quality’ fashion. If you can take pleasure from the little, everyday things, then that may be the best way to improve your life, and it’s all in our attitude.

So I’m still not choosing “one soap for life”. Although, in theory, I could and I ought to be able to get as much pleasure from that if I set my attitude correctly.

Top Bottom