What's new

If you could only pick one forever...

Hi all,

If you could only pick one shaving soap/cream, aftershave splash, and/or aftershave balm to use for the rest of your life, what would it be?

For me it would probably be one of these three sets:

Soap: B&M Leviathan
Splash: B&M Leviathan
Balm: B&M Leviathan (in the tub, not the pump dispenser)

Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Splash: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Balm: B&M Unscented (in the tub, not the pump dispenser)

Soap: PAA Cavendish
Splash: PAA Cavendish
Balm: PAA Mysterium Syrum

There are many other scents I absolutely love, but I don't think I could deal with them on a daily basis forever.

What would you pick?

If I'm picking from only what I've used so far, which is the only way to have experience....

Soap: Stirling Coniferous
AS: ViJon Spice
Balm: Avon Black something or other

Of the three Stirling samples I've tried (Ben Franklin, Sharp Dressed Man, and Coniferous), the Coniferous was by far the easiest to lather and the slickest, nicest soap of the lot, and the best soap I've used to date.
The ViJon Spice AS was a favorite before I baked the life out of it - right up there with Clubman Vanilla, and, honestly, it was hard to pick between the two. Actual Old Spice isn't quite as nice to my nose as the ViJon was.
That balm is the only one that I've ever used. It's ok.

Second choice would be an Arko/Clubman Original pairing. Not luxurious, but it would get the job done, and do it well.

A tough one it's gotta be versatile, or smell so nice you don't even care. I could do a B&M LGC, SW gravefruit II(would have loved to try no. 1), or stirling sandpiper. I wish someone else would come out with la nuit clones besides stirling/oleo.

At this point Razorocks XXX soap and A/S have over taken Old Spice and Brut for me. The only A/S I used for first 30 some odd years of shaving.

Wife approved as well. She still likes Old Spice more tho.

If I had to pick only 1 (which requires foregoing having multiple fun scents) I'd go stricktly functional with Arko and stick with witch hazel.

If I had to stick with just one, I'd go with the Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barbershop for both soap and aftershave. I adore the scent and both products work very well. There is a chance I could regret that choice, but today it sounds good.

I'd be so bored to death with only one set, but if I had to choose it would be
20220822SOTD.jpg

I'm a little different than most on these boards. I have to use an olive oil based soap every day to keep psoriasis/eczema at bay. I have settled on Savon de Marseille soap as the favorite, although any OO based soap seems to work. That said, I wash my face with it and found out that I can get a serviceable lather by then rubbing it up with a brush. Kind of like a shave stick. Is it my favorite? No, I love Tabac and Mitchell's Wool Fat the most out of all of my 50+ soaps. Would it be my "one" soap on a desert island kind of thing? You bet.

I rarely use aftershave stuff. Usually Aveeno lotion to counter the drying effect that the OO soap has. If I spritz on cologne or anything before work, it's usually what someone has gotten me for Christmas. This last bottle was Canoe.

At one time, before the skin problems, this was a huge hobby for me trying different things and buying all sorts of stuff. I've settled down with all of that and it's more of an "enjoyable necessity" now. I know what is needed and what works. I can still enjoy the hobby aspect by trying different OO based soaps from artisan makers- usually Ebay or local farmer's markets- and they're normally cheaper than buying typical "shaving soaps". I recently bought some OO based Pre De Provence and that stuff is fantastic. It may eventually replace my kilo brick of Savon De Marseille.
kilosavon.jpg

If I had to pick one forever it would be Stirling Soap Deep Blue Sea in soap, shave soap and aftershave splash. I have it in my orders every time I need to make an order.

Top Bottom