What's new

If You Could Only Have 7 Tobaccos...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I always come back to PA. The amphora burley was pretty good too for a change but I will be ordering more PA. Try the amphora burley if you’re into burleys!
Search “Match Blends” on that site. I just ordered one oz of:
Revelation
Walnut
Holiday
Dunhill BB1938

Revelation was Einstein’s tobacco wonder if it will make me smarter. Edge worth is on backorder so I got on the waiting list. I’ve had Walnut - decent Latikia blend.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thanks. I’ve never had that. I check it out. Here is one for you. I smoked it frequently when I lived in VA years ago. Edgeworth. It was an excellent pure burley pressed a and sliced. Made in Richmond, VA. The company went bust at some point but “Match” recreated the ready rubbed. I’m going to order a small one and bring back some memories. It is a full flavor, seriously serious Burley. It isn’t a fancy or flavored tobacco so the recreation should have been pretty simple.

I’ve had the old Edgeworth Slices, the Match ready rub and the Lane edgeworth. Both of the new offerings are good—the Match has a little more cocoa, the edgeworth a little more molasses. Sadly neither is as good as the old Slices. But, they’re still good and blends that I smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Search “Match Blends” on that site. I just ordered one oz of:
Revelation
Walnut
Holiday
Dunhill BB1938

Revelation was Einstein’s tobacco wonder if it will make me smarter. Edge worth is on backorder so I got on the waiting list. I’ve had Walnut - decent Latikia blend.

Match revelation is good. Epiphany by Cornell & Diehl is also a take on revelation and I prefer it over the match version. My friend prefers the match version, so try them both.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve had the old Edgeworth Slices, the Match ready rub and the Lane edgeworth. Both of the new offerings are good—the Match has a little more cocoa, the edgeworth a little more molasses. Sadly neither is as good as the old Slices. But, they’re still good and blends that I smoke.

Fortunately, I haven’t had it since the 70’s so I won’t remember it exactly. I just a 1oz. Pack of Match to try. The seller only offered the Lane in the large can so I didn’t want to make that kind of investment. A few years ago I bought cans of Half & Half and Ranger and didn’t like either so I’m being cautious. 😆 I didn’t smoke Edgeworth much because I was experimenting with a lot of bulk tobacco from Georgetown Tobacco at the time I suppose.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Match revelation is good. Epiphany by Cornell & Diehl is also a take on revelation and I prefer it over the match version. My friend prefers the match version, so try them both.

Thanks. If I like the Match Revelation, I’ll try the Epiphany for comparison. I lean toward VA’s but always enjoy a Burley fix

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Revisiting this thread, after sampling more blends, my choices are now a little different.

Germain's Brown Flake
Gawith Hoggarth No.27 Perique Flake
Gawith Hoggarth Reunion Flake
Gawith Hoggarth Red
Condor Long Cut
Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Peterson Elizabethan/Charatan Victorian
Gawith Hoggarth New Prince
Peterson Irish Cask
Germain's Eighteen Twenty
Germain's Rich Dark Flake
Peterson University Flake
Peterson Sherlock Holmes

Damn, this 7th place is tough!

Lets say Germain's Royal Jersey Perique, but I expect I'd regret not picking something else instead. However, I think I ought to have at least one easy smoking ribbon cut, that I can smoke anytime, irrespective of season etc. That probably means Jersey Perique, New Prince, or Sherlock Holmes. Or Chocolate Scotch Cake. Or Palace Gate. Or Elizabethan...

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh, my. I'm too new back at this to actually know what my 7 would be. But I have a few.

I think Presbyterian Mixture would be on my list. Iwan Ries 3-star Royale dropped off (from my memory of it, and its current version) but I think PM is right up there in that vein.

For sure, My Mixture 965 is on my list, I hope the current version is not a disappointment.

Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake just made my list on the first bowl.

I'd have said Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Loose cut would have been on my list until @Whisky sample of Vanilla Roll Cake replaced it.

I can't decide between Prince Albert or Carter Hall for this spot, but one of them for sure.

H&H Magnum Opus is on the list, but mine is at least 10 years old, hope it has not changed.

Peterson Nightcap would be on it, if it lives up to my over 10-year-old Dunhill Nightcap sample.

Well, whaddya know? I got to 7! And I have about another 10 tins I've not tried before, but which I have in my possession, including Escudo Navy DeLuxe, Three Nuns, Capstan Ready Rubbed, Early Morning Pipe (which I've had, might have been on my list, but I don't remember), Russ Ouellette's Firestorm, C&D Bijou, Peterson's Standard Mixture, Peterson's Old Dublin, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Cake, C&D Bayou Morning, and a couple others I have yet to try. So there is a wealth of stuff to sample yet.

I guess I could get to 7, how about that? :lol:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, whaddya know? I got to 7! And I have about another 10 tins I've not tried before, but which I have in my possession

I still have oodles that I have tucked away, which I haven't tried yet. But then, rather than stock up on one mild English blend, for example, I've added several different ones. Same with Virginia's, VaPers, etc, several of a type, rather than several of a blend. Some might be awesome, and others a bit disappointing, but I'd get bored if I only loaded up on specific blends.

As such, I could probably find stand ins for pretty much all the blends I listed above. If they all got discontinued, I'd probably be as happy looking for new favourites, as I would be if I had a couple of each of the blends in my list.

7 blends is tough. The first one is easy. Old Gowrie is my desert isle tobacco.

1. Rattray Old Gowrie
2. Rattray Marlin Flake
3. GLP Union Square
4. GLP Haddo's Delight
5. Mac Baren Navy Flake
6. Balkan Sobranie
7. Boswell's Christmas Cookie

I would certainly weep at the loss of Solani Silver Flake, Reiner 71, Hamborger Veermaster, Ennerdale, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Stanwell Melange, Plum Pudding, and a few others.

In spite of all of the beloved and long lost McClelland blends, the tobacco I'll miss the most when my supply is gone is C&D/Cup O' Joe's 25th Anniversary Blend. My love of that blend borders on the obscene.

IMG_3342.JPG

#2 McClelland Christmas Cheer
#3 Samuel Gawith Commonwealth
#4 Savinelli Doblone d' Oro
#5 HU Dockworker
#6 Uhle's 00
#7 C&D Epiphany

G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake is knocking on the door. I've also greatly enjoyed recent small batch releases 2020 Sutliff Cringle Flake, C&D 8 State Burley and From Beyond; however, they're only small batches.

View attachment 1368006
#2 McClelland Christmas Cheer
#3 Samuel Gawith Commonwealth
#4 Savinelli Doblone d' Oro
#5 HU Dockworker
#6 Uhle's 00
#7 C&D Epiphany

G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake is knocking on the door. I've also greatly enjoyed recent small batch releases 2020 Sutliff Cringle Flake, C&D 8 State Burley and From Beyond; however, they're only small batches.

Awesome Dunbar supply you have there. I have a couple of 2016 bags like you do, and am greatly looking forward to tearing into them soon. Cheers!

+1 for Xmas Cheer and HU Dockworker also.

In no particular order:

• Petersons Perfect Plug
  • Condor Plug
  • Tabac Manil Le Brumeuse
  • Peterson (formerly Dunhill) Nightcap
  • Gawith and Hogarth Grasmere Flake
  • Benson and Hedges Special Virginia (formerly Mellow Virginia)
  • St. Bruno Flake

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I would be fine with seven cans of Rattray Accountants Mixture or Black Mallory, all one or the other or a few of each.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I now disagree with my earlier answer, and have found a way to avoid not listing more than seven blends :p

1) English.

Squadron Leader would be first choice, but I could settle for Presbytarian, 1820 flake, or anything else with a noticeable but low Latakia content, and a moderate spoonful of Orientals. McConnel Oriental is on the to try list, and I have a few others lying dormant, not all of which have been tried.

2) Dark Strong Virginia/Burley
Rich Dark Flake would be first choice here, but Irish Flake, or Coniston Cut Plug Unscented could substitute. Solani Silver is currently ageing but untried, and I want to try Revor Plug too

3) Virginia.

Germain's Brown Flake is currently cream of the crop, but I have yet to fully reap the rewards of ageing Virginias, so others might overtake it later. Others I know I enjoy without having to wait for the earth to go round the sun a few times, are Germain's Medium Flake, and Gawith Hoggarth Four Squires. After that I'd have to go for Solani Virginia Flake, and overlook the dash of Perique.

4) Virginia Perique.
Gawith Hoggarth No.27 Perique Flake is hogging the throne. Germain Royal Jersey Perique, Irish Cask, Cabbies Mixture, Deluxe Navy Rolls, or Elizabethan would suffice in it's place though. McConnell and Rattrays have more than one presence in my ageing pile too. I spread the net wide for this blend family.

5) Lakeland.
Condor Long Cut. No question. Should that disappear into the ether, then I'd be looking in the direction of Ennerdale or No.7 Broken Flake. St Bruno would be the final substitute on the bench.

6) Aromatic Number One.
Gawith Hoggarth Red Mixture is a nice, easy smoking tobacco, with plenty of different tobaccos in it, and just enough of a summery topping to make it smokeable around others. I'd probably be left kicking myself if I didn't include this. Not one I would tire of easily, as I might with many other aromatics - particularly if they contained Cavendish.

7) Aromatic Number Two.
I think I'll provisionally go for Peterson Irish Mixture. This may be a choice I'd wish I'd changed later though. Nudging to take its place is University Flake, Gawith Hoggarth Reunion Flake, and Gawith Hoggarth R&M (Rum and Maple). Firedance, Celtic Talisman, and Hyde Park are in the waiting to be tried pile.

So while seven blends are chosen, I'd gladly accept a number of substitutes for any of them.

Seven? Hm. The classic codger blends like Prince Albert, Sir Walter, Half & Half, Carter Hall, and Granger are the tops. I include Field & Stream (though it is a match now) in that. Perhaps some Virginia: The Luxury Twist Flake I bought this weekend is quite good. And that makes seven. I know the codgers, aside from H & H, are very similar to each other, so maybe other blends can sneak in there; but as of now, that would be my lineup.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't don't know. That's a pretty hard choice.
There is some great stuff out there and winnowing it down to 70 would be tough.

Top Bottom