What's new

If You Could Only Have 7 Tobaccos...

I think I’d have to go with literally my current top shelf. We have, in no particular order but I do tend to favor the coins;

1. Newminster Superior Round Slices
2. GL Pease Gaslight
3. GL Pease Quiet Nights
4. C&D SOTE
5. PS LBF
6. MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired
7. Comoys Cask No.2 Port/Vanilla/Chocolate Aro

7C87B181-E453-4084-9D8A-B96E7D2FDF75.jpeg

I think I’d have to go with literally my current top shelf. We have, in no particular order but I do tend to favor the coins;

2. GL Pease Gaslight
3. GL Pease Quiet Nights
4. C&D SOTE
5. PS LBF

View attachment 1097595
Wow.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't been all that adventurous in my pipe tobaccos, and I've only been smoking pipes for a few years, but here are the ones I've found so far that I'd be quite happy to stick with.

1) Squadron Leader
2) Condor Long Cut
3) Bob's Chocolate Flake
4) One of Gawith Hoggarth's gold shag tobaccos, either blueberry, or cherry and vanilla.
5) Coniston Cut Plug Unscented

I have tried a few others along the way, but keep coming back to these. I don't cellar/hoard, only smoke occasionally, and three of these are available locally.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
1. Burley- Old Joe Krantz
2. Virginia- Capstan yellow
3. Kentucky- Bold Kentucky
4. English- substitute VaBur - Irish Flake
5. Cavendish - Lane LL7
6. Latakia- Nope
7. Perique- Escudo

Dang . . . I've no Penzance nor Early Morning Pipe . . .

I have work to do . . .

b
Damn Penzance and stonehaven I've tried so many times to buy some but it sold so so fast..

I’ve given up on Penzance. I never make it on time.

Back in the day, when Penzance would show up and I had time to chase it down, I collected it whenever I could. I have about six pounds in the cellar and earned every ounce LOL. I don't look for it anymore. I like it A LOT! I have enough now that I don't fear running out in the next several years. I also have plenty of other fine blends to go through.

Back in the day, when Penzance would show up and I had time to chase it down, I collected it whenever I could. I have about six pounds in the cellar and earned every ounce LOL. I don't look for it anymore. I like it A LOT! I have enough now that I don't fear running out in the next several years. I also have plenty of other fine blends to go through.
The hunt was successful!

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

2. GL Pease Gaslight
3. GL Pease Quiet Nights
4. C&D SOTE
5. PS LBF

View attachment 1097595
From the looks of things, I’d forget the tobacco and save the bottom shelf!

1. Burley - Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut
2. Virginia - Robert McConnell Folded Flake
3. Kentucky - War Horse Ready Cut I suppose. I've not smoked a lot of heavy Kentucky blends.
4. English - Wilkie Surbrug's Crystal Palace
5. Cavendish - Wilkie #515
6. Latakia - SPC Plum Pudding or PP Special Reserve or GLP Sparkplug - a toss up.
7. Perique - Watch City Rouxgaroux or Rhythm & Blues - a toss up.

With the exception of #1 & #7, my choices are pretty much in flux and #7 could be.
There are so many good tobacco blends out there that finding the "perfect" blends in each category is very difficult, especially at my age. Now if I was in my twenties...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble looks like i have to try EMP and Nightcap!

Nightcap was good to go for me right when I got it fresh, but it really mellows nice and smooth when aged.

Couldn’t stand EMP fresh. It was harsh & bitter. At the time, I knew Dunhill was discontinuing producing tobacco and I didn’t know if another company was going to pick it up. So I bought 2 pounds of EMP without ever trying.

I let EMP sit and age in mason jars for two years before deciding I wasted my money and attempting to get rid of it. I am so glad I waited! EMP with age is so smooth and creamy, it’s like smoking sweet butter! It’s like smoking two completely different tobaccos.

Love that stuff in the morning with a cup of hot tea. :)

After trying about eighty so blends, I narrowed down my rotation to seven tobaccos, though they aren't one of each variety mentioned by the OP.

G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill
Peterson DLNR

Capstan Blue

Peterson NightCap
Capt Earl's Ten Russians
G.L. Pease Quiet Nights

Cult Militia

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve only smoked PA which is burley. I am still waiting on my packages(10 tobaccos, 3 pipes to be delivered “Monday”) to try the other types. The two I haven’t ordered are a Latakia and a Perique yet, although i have ordered a VaPer blend. So i guess Latakia and Perique.

HH Old dark fired and burley flake are in my cart for next!
I’m having bowl of PA right now. I Always keep some around. Every good basic smoke. It was the first tobacco I ever smoked. I Was probably ten or eleven years old. Rolled into a Cigarette. It came in a tin can with a pack of rolling papers.

I’m having bowl of PA right now. I Always keep some around. Every good basic smoke. It was the first tobacco I ever smoked. I Was probably ten or eleven years old. Rolled into a Cigarette. It came in a tin can with a pack of rolling papers.

I always come back to PA. The amphora burley was pretty good too for a change but I will be ordering more PA. Try the amphora burley if you’re into burleys!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My stash, not including at least another 12 opened jars. Most of it is various flakes (predominantly MacBaren). I love flakes because they don’t take up nearly as much room. I can get a pound of flake into 3 jars- ribbon cut takes around nine.
5220CF69-4B6E-48B1-A0EC-F0E6FF863B0F.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My stash, not including at least another 12 opened jars. Most of it is various flakes (predominantly MacBaren). I love flakes because they don’t take up nearly as much room. I can get a pound of flake into 3 jars- ribbon cut takes around nine.View attachment 1104885
I forgot that the tub has some jars in it, too. That may be where the Aged Burley Flake I am missing is. Didn’t think about it until I saw the picture.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I always come back to PA. The amphora burley was pretty good too for a change but I will be ordering more PA. Try the amphora burley if you’re into burleys!
Thanks. I’ve never had that. I check it out. Here is one for you. I smoked it frequently when I lived in VA years ago. Edgeworth. It was an excellent pure burley pressed a and sliced. Made in Richmond, VA. The company went bust at some point but “Match” recreated the ready rubbed. I’m going to order a small one and bring back some memories. It is a full flavor, seriously serious Burley. It isn’t a fancy or flavored tobacco so the recreation should have been pretty simple.

Thanks. I’ve never had that. I check it out. Here is one for you. I smoked it frequently when I lived in VA years ago. Edgeworth. It was an excellent pure burley pressed a and sliced. Made in Richmond, VA. The company went bust at some point but “Match” recreated the ready rubbed. I’m going to order a small one and bring back some memories. It is a full flavor, seriously serious Burley. It isn’t a fancy or flavored tobacco so the recreation should have been pretty simple.
I was born in Richmond, VA. So getting a burley made from there would’ve been rad. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will try some of that with my next order!

Top Bottom