What's new

If You Could Only Have 7 Tobaccos...

Personally, my selection would be one of each tobacco type. I will leave names of blends to you guys.
1. Burley
2. Virginia
3. Kentucky
4. English
5. Cavendish
6. Latakia
7. Perique

While I haven’t smoked enough blends yet to list the names of favorites, I encourage you to list the names of what 7 tobaccos/blends you would select.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Personally, my selection would be one of each tobacco type. I will leave names of blends to you guys.
1. Burley
2. Virginia
3. Kentucky
4. English
5. Cavendish
6. Latakia
7. Perique

While I haven’t smoked enough blends yet to list the names of favorites, I encourage you to list the names of what 7 tobaccos/blends you would select.
All from the MacBaren HH line:
1. Burley Flake
2. Pure Virginia
3. Old Dark Fired
4. Vintage Syrian
5. Can’t stand cavendish
6. Latakia Flake
7. Can’t stand Perique

if you could only have five which two would you give up?
I’ve only smoked PA which is burley. I am still waiting on my packages(10 tobaccos, 3 pipes to be delivered “Monday”) to try the other types. The two I haven’t ordered are a Latakia and a Perique yet, although i have ordered a VaPer blend. So i guess Latakia and Perique.

HH Old dark fired and burley flake are in my cart for next!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
1. C&D Burley Flake #1, C&D Pegasus
2. Orlik Golden Sliced or Stokkebye LNF (both have perique as well)
3. Old Dark Fired/Dark Twist/or Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
4. Balkan Supreme or GLP Quiet Nights (English is a variety, not a leaf. Latakia is the leaf which lends English and Balkan blends that characteristic smokey creaminess.)
5. I don't smoke aromatics too often. Cavendish is usually a condiment for body and light sweetness for me in blends like SPC Plum Pudding...I like Lane Black Raspberry, BCA and 1Q on occasion though.
6. (see number 4)
7. Perique would make a pretty bitter smoke if it were the dominant leaf in a blend. It tends to be a condiment leaf in many blends I enjoy. Escudo, Marlin Flake (new to me, but excellent), Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, Luxury Bullseye Flake.

You'll have fun exploring that Amphora pack. It will give you great insight into the flavors each leaf can contribute.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
So I was looking at all the tobacco I have jarred up. Although I knew before, I hadn’t fully realized I have nearly 3 times the amount of aromatic blends jarred as I do of say of a Perique blend or English blend. As a kid growing up, my memories of folks smoking pipes seemed to have had a pleasant smelling tobacco, generally vanilla. So most of my aromatics are vanilla in scent and flavor. Also, most of those aromatics are Virginia based. Of the group though, I like Boswell’s Best.

Moving along with the list above, I have very few burley blends. However, the one I do have is Carter Hall which tends to be burley centric.

The only dark fired blend I have on hand is Orlik’s Dark Strong Kentucky. I am hoping to smoke that again here soon.

The English blend I do like is Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant.

Sorry, I am having a difficult time with Latakia. I do have some of SPC’s Plum Pudding Special Reserve. I hope to finally smoke that while the Mrs. is away.

As for Perique, Escudo is my staple. I’ll always have some of that somewhere.

Finally, aside from the Match Arogosy, I don’t have any straight Cavendish tobacco. But that Arogosy is pretty tasty.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mine is a bit different as I cellared a bunch of stuff, but I would save my:

McClelland 40th
C&D Red Va Flake
Hal o the Wynd
Marlin Flake
Old Joe Krantz
Solani Aged Burley
Escudo

McClelland 40th i cant find. I can’t find SPC Plum Pudding anywhere. I was lucky enough to get two tins of C&D Carolina Red Flake from someone who didn’t like it. Still waiting on his package though. Escudo is another one I’m trying next for sure though!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
McClelland 40th i cant find.
McClelland blends have been discontinued so only consignment tins are available.

As for Plum Pudding I was able to get most of mine from Cigar bid...that's a whole new rabbit hole to travel so I'd say tread lightly or you can end up spending a lot of time and money there. I got all of mine at half price or better so there are certainly deals to be had, but it can get out of hand if you aren't careful!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don’t plan on stopping! That’s why I’m asking :lol:
So if your cellar caught fire and you could only save 7 blends, which ones would you, @Alacrity59 , select?

Na . . . I've been careful

Which one that you never tried would you . . . after the bomb dropped would you actually put into your pipe :)

7 is too many. Let's see:

1. Burley - Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Rum Flake
2. Virginia - Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Ennerdale Flake
3. Kentucky -
4. English - Dunhill Aperitif & Early Morning Pipe
5. Cavendish -
6. Latakia - This should really go under English... but let's go with Dunhill Nightcap
7. Perique -

That's five total.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Penzance is great, but so is Quiet Nights and a myriad of other blends.

McClelland Va’s on the other hand. Something about what they top it with or method of fermenting makes it unique for those that like that tang.

Solano 656
Davidoff Flaked Medaillon
MacBaren Modern Virginia
Escudo
G.L pease JackKnife plug
Dunhill Nightcap
Solani 633

That's my list.

Always open to try new tobacco.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Top Bottom