What's new

Identifying the Three Piece Gillettes

I was very recently asked if I could post a pictorial of the differences between the Gillette three piece razors. Well, Achim has an excellent resource already on his site. Of course, it is in German. :biggrin:

History of Gillette Safety Razors

But, I'll include a few of his pictures here with some brief notes.

The original Gillette three piece was the standard Old Types. These came in the Double Ring (1903-1905) and Single Ring (starting in 1906) versions. They are characterized by the presence of positioning pins in the head and a curved guard plate which fits flush against the cap. They also have a log post cap with the guard plate incorporated onto the outer barrel handle. The inner barrel and knob assembly finish out the three pieces. The Double and Single Ring naming refers to the protruding rings on the handle's neck.

proxy.php

Here is an example of the disassembled 1904 Double Ring Old Type.

proxy.php

The ABC (American Button Company) and Gillette Pocket Editions were three piece versions of the Old Type head with the handle separated from the head.

proxy.php

proxy.php

In 1921 the New Improved was introduced. These were characterized by a head which still had positioning pins, but has design improvements which included a thicker, flat guard plate and heavier duty teeth. This desgn lifts the blade off the surface of the comb.

proxy.php

The New Improved also came in a pocket type version known as the Tuckaway.

proxy.php

In 1929 the Gillette NEW was introduced in a basic pocket style. The NEW differed from earlier Gillette with the introduction of the positioning bar, replacing the pins, which required the NEW Blades also introduced at that time. This marked the beginning of the modern DE blade design. They retained the open comb design from all earlier models.

proxy.php

The NEW DeLuxe was the high end version of the NEW.

proxy.php

In 1931, Gillette began releasing a very inexpensive set made from leftover Old Type parts mixed with retooled NEW parts. This three piece was known as the Goodwill. There were several different guard and cap combinations made.

proxy.php

In 1938, Gillette introduced the first safety bar razor in a three piece. It became the longest running Gillette model and was known as the Tech. It had the same positioning bar design of the NEW model, but the safety bar design was lower in manufacturing costs and was less susceptible to damage when dropped.

proxy.php

There were many other minor variations to these major designs, but the main characteristics remained the same amongst each of these models.

Once again, I would like to thank Achim for the use of his excellent pictures as well as welcoming him back from his brief "vacation". :wink: You were very much missed by one and all!

Last edited:
Outstanding post, thanks so much to both you and Achim!

I'm still a bit fuzzy one one aspect (at least :biggrin:) of the Old Types. On the originals (double ring and single ring) is the base of the handle also a threaded shaft that attaches to the cap via a post on the cap (like on the New Improved) or do they all in screw at the head like the ABC and Gillette Pocket Editions?

Also, I recall you stating you felt one particular head was the best shaving razor you had used, which of these designs was that again?

Lastly, good to see the Tech listed as being introduced in '38 as I'd read '39 before and quoted that (it's listed as such in the Wiki). I noticed mr-razor's mention of 1938 in a post yesterday which confused me a bit.

Thanks again to both of you!!!! :thumbup:

Outstanding post, thanks so much to both you and Achim!

I'm still a bit fuzzy one one aspect (at least :biggrin:) of the Old Types. On the originals (double ring and single ring) is the base of the handle also a threaded shaft that attaches to the cap via a post on the cap (like on the New Improved) or do they all in screw at the head like the ABC and Gillette Pocket Editions?

Also, I recall you stating you felt one particular head was the best shaving razor you had used, which of these designs was that again?

Lastly, good to see the Tech listed as being introduced in '38 as I'd read '39 before and quoted that (it's listed as such in the Wiki). I noticed mr-razor's mention of 1938 in a post yesterday which confused me a bit.

Thanks again to both of you!!!! :thumbup:

Yes, the Standard handle on the Single and Double rings all have the inner barrel which screws onto a long cap post just like the New Improved models.

My favorite model is the NEW DeLuxe, but the New Improved is a close second.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Outstanding! Great piece of information, thank you!

Ahhh, fantastic, it all starts to make sense now.

Now I know what I've left in all those antiques shop, and also know I'd better go and have another, better look :tongue_sm

and how about the flare-bottom Aristocrat (1914-1917, I think consensus would have it) - it is a three-piece... does it have a barrel, similar to the old types?

by the way - a great thread - thanks!

and how about the flare-bottom Aristocrat (1914-1917, I think consensus would have it) - it is a three-piece... does it have a barrel, similar to the old types?

by the way - a great thread - thanks!

Thanks. And the Aristocrat has the long post cap and inner barrel just like the Standard Single and Double Rings.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great thread, Guido. Thank you, and thank you, Achim.

Once again I've learned something new. I thought "Single Ring" and "Double Ring" referred to the little ringed grooves at the bottom of the handle, and just thought I'd probably never seen a single ring, since they both, at least in these pictures, appear to have the double notched rings in the bottom of the handle. I'm going to have to accept the fact that there is a limitless supply of new (to me) facts to learn about these razors.

:cool:

Excellent post. Thank you very much. I'm late coming into this but just found it. I just got the last version in gold today. I had a nice shave with it about an hour ago. What was the last year of production?

Ken

Top Bottom