What's new

ID Help

Got this little stone today. It's a little over 4x2x.5".

Thought it could be a thuri by the chips but the pattern looks nothing like it. About the same hardness as a thuri though. All the corners and edges have been sanded so there aren't really any saw marks present. It's a natural stone though.

Any ideas?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060352.410353.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060366.285065.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060379.475394.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060392.177633.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060418.625495.jpg

Looks similar to a small slate I had a while back, never did get a definite ID on it but Lynn Idwal, Ayrshire, CF were mentioned as candidates.

$hone.jpg

Could very well be. I had one with similar pattern that was confirmed TOS.
$7138627655_8eeab2e60d_b.jpg

Here's another with similar markings.
$IMG_2471.jpg
and another
$tam.jpg

looks like a slate to me also. I bought 6 total slate hones from a flea mkt where a guy was cleaning an attic of a 100+ yr old house. he found several razors also with nice scales but the blades were toast. I don't know what the slates are either, two slurry black and 4 slurry a pinkish purple color. I use them as a prefinisher for the new apache strata. edges off the apache are a little more crisp as a jnat edge. anyway for what I paid for them they are extremely nice hones, as long as they work I don't really care what their name is. I don't buy them to resell anyway. I have bought many never sold a single one, though I have gave a few away, and trashed a few more.

Could very well be. I had one with similar pattern that was confirmed TOS.
View attachment 506729

Here's another with similar markings.
View attachment 506731
and another
View attachment 506732

Could be....However ive seen all three stones, the first on Ebay if you got that one nice score....

I think the seconds and the third are pictures from Neil Miller....the second one i also dont think its a TOS.....

The third can be, i know that Neil mentioned it to be a certain TOS variant....

So if Geezers would be a TOS then it would be shurely one of those really really rare ones where i have not seen any comparable up to day, identified by a knowledged guy telling so...

Thats Idwall Stone i own:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Well it almost has the patterning of a LI but I certain that's not what it is. I guess it could be a ToS or WoA. I'll try and finish lapping it and try it out this week.

Top Bottom