What's new

I want a *less* close shave - advice?

Hi, I shave my legs with a safety razor, I've only got the one, bought it about 6 months ago and it's non-adjustable.

I shave with the grain, not because my legs get irritated from the blade (they're fine when I do it), but because I get ingrown hairs a day or so afterwards. I know to exfoliate etc but basically I usually regret if I ever shave against the grain. It's a lot more effort though, I can remember when I was a teenager shaving against the grain never gave me any issues and it was much faster.

Maybe I could get an adjustable razor like the qshave and set it to the lowest closeness and shave against the grain so the hair is gone but not close enough to become ingrown? Any tips? Thanks.

Hi, I shave my legs with a safety razor, I've only got the one, bought it about 6 months ago and it's non-adjustable.

I shave with the grain, not because my legs get irritated from the blade (they're fine when I do it), but because I get ingrown hairs a day or so afterwards. I know to exfoliate etc but basically I usually regret if I ever shave against the grain. It's a lot more effort though, I can remember when I was a teenager shaving against the grain never gave me any issues and it was much faster.

Maybe I could get an adjustable razor like the qshave and set it to the lowest closeness and shave against the grain so the hair is gone but not close enough to become ingrown? Any tips? Thanks.
It could be the razor. Or the blade. Or the prep. Can you replicate what you did as a teenager? What kind of razor and blade did you use back then?

I agree @Bogeyman in choosing the Feather Popular. It is fairly mild razor and has a longish handle and is inexpensive to purchase. The QShave Futur clone is mild on lower settings and should also work. But it is a lot heavier, more slippery, and with a normal length handle (slightly shorter than the Popular). If I were to shave my legs I would first reach for the Popular but that is not meant as a negative comment on the QShave.

This is more a radical suggestion but you could consider a Feather SS or DX straight. When coupled with a Pro Guard or Soft Guard blade I think it could give a good shave experience. Where you could more or less lay the razor flat and better see what you are shaving. Where using a shallower angle and less pressure as controlled by the user would also help reduce the closeness even with the non-guarded blades.

Last edited:
We don’t even know what razor the OP is using and we’re already suggesting new ones?

Unless it’s a uber cheap knockoff that has terrible QC, you may not need a new razor just yet.

@quixoticduck, what razor are you using currently? You only mention shaving either WTG or ATG (which is causing the issues), how about XTG? Either as a second pass or your only pass? Maybe even a second WTG pass? Have you tried riding the cap more? The guard?

@quixoticduck, what razor are you using currently? You only mention shaving either WTG or ATG (which is causing the issues), how about XTG? Either as a second pass or your only pass? Maybe even a second WTG pass? Have you tried riding the cap more? The guard?

+2! A few more details would help. I would also like to know a bit more about your prep, soap, blade, etc.

The more information we have, the better help we may provide.

+2! A few more details would help. I would also like to know a bit more about your prep, soap, blade, etc.

+3

The only time I ever shaved my legs was when I was on a cycling team.
I have hairy legs so it was a real pain.

The more info we have the better!

It could be your shaving cream/soap is irritating your skin and causing your problem. I can’t use anything with scents or sodium laurel sulfate. I get ingrown hairs if I do, even only shaving with the grain.

We don’t even know what razor the OP is using and we’re already suggesting new ones?
Agree it would help to have more information including the razor in question, but why not also try to answer the OP question based on the information given. (Most of use have multiple razors for various reasons). I interpreted the broader question to be that the OP is looking for an inexpensive + very mild razor to shave their legs. That they are looking to branch out and see if a new razor will help or not.

Ahh sorry! I had my notifications set up wrong and only just realised I had any replies. Will read and reply soon. :)

My current razor is a Merkur 23C DE Safety Razor, I should have included that info originally, whoops. :|

It could be the razor. Or the blade. Or the prep. Can you replicate what you did as a teenager? What kind of razor and blade did you use back then?

Unless it’s a uber cheap knockoff that has terrible QC, you may not need a new razor just yet.

+3

The only time I ever shaved my legs was when I was on a cycling team.
I have hairy legs so it was a real pain.

The more info we have the better!

Sorry for being so bad at replying. I'm using a Merkur 23C DE Safety Razor. Across the grain seems to be ok and is probably best but it's really slow and awkward to do on legs, I don't think it's something I'd actually do regularly.
I'm not sure about riding the cap or guard more, I'll have to look up what that means!

I would start with different blades, unless the razor is of very low quality. (then I would replace both immediately.)
I've been using various blades from the DE Razor Blade Sample Pack 1 from the Shave Lounge. They seem to be well reviewed blades. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. I'm pretty sure leg hair is much finer than beard hair so any blade or soap is fine for me, the problem is only in-growns. I know exfoliation is supposed to help but it's so easy to forget one day and have irritated legs.

My hair is very light so I don't mind if it grows back faster than ATG would. If I do ATG I don't need to do a second pass, it's very easy to shave. WTG is much more time consuming and misses hairs but also awkward to hold/move the razor that way. Perhaps a less-close ATG shave would still have the first of those problems anyway. :|

It could be your shaving cream/soap is irritating your skin and causing your problem. I can’t use anything with scents or sodium laurel sulfate. I get ingrown hairs if I do, even only shaving with the grain.
I've tried various stuff as soap including proper shave soap, squirty foam, conditioner, just water etc. I'm fairly certain it's the ingrown hairs themselves and not irritation from a product. My skin can become dry easily but I don't have any allergies.

You might consider mapping your hair growth pattern. This may really help you understand what is going on. For example, North to South may or may not be WTG depending on how your hair grows in various areas.

1. Yep, your razor and blades are all fine.
2. Squirty foam should also be fine.

I’m thinking your angle could be off.

Riding the guard = blade more perpendicular to skin

Riding the cap = blade more parallel to skin. (Some people start here, and tilt the razor until the blade just starts cutting)

What is your post-shave routine? I find I get more ingrown hairs on my face if I use a balm that contains a lot of oil. I get better results with an alcohol based splash. It can sting, but not much of you stay wet.

Top Bottom