What's new

I want a "Do Over"!

Today was one of those shaves. It was okay, accomplished what intended to, but left me wishing I could start over! By the end, I wished I'd used a different soap. Everything else was fine, but my soap and lather could have been better. Good thing those whisker follicles are already at it making more whiskers for tomorrow! Figured if anyone would understand, it would be the folks around here!

Always add more soap if you are not satisfied

Does not even need to be what you started with.

Some of me best lathers were from frakensoap

Today was one of those shaves. It was okay, accomplished what intended to, but left me wishing I could start over! By the end, I wished I'd used a different soap. Everything else was fine, but my soap and lather could have been better. Good thing those whisker follicles are already at it making more whiskers for tomorrow! Figured if anyone would understand, it would be the folks around here!

Eric, what is your prep?

Standard prep: face washed, conditioner on whiskers while showering, then shave. No issues, no plans to change! I was just commenting on using one soap and by the time you're done, you wish you'd used a different soap. This happens maybe once a month or so. I make a last minute switch, and then think I should have used a different product. (no intention of dissing a product, just one of those things that happens, and it can help me decide if a product is good for me or needs a new home).

I hear ya and I understand. There are days when I go through my routine and when I am finished shaving I wish I could start over...maybe use a different soap, or a straight razor instead of a DE or SE, or change up my pre-shave prep...or maybe use a AS instead of an ASB. Not that there was anything wrong with the shave...I just wish I could do it over again. I usually console myself by knowing I can do it all over again the next morning.

Standard prep: face washed, conditioner on whiskers while showering, then shave. No issues, no plans to change! I was just commenting on using one soap and by the time you're done, you wish you'd used a different soap. This happens maybe once a month or so. I make a last minute switch, and then think I should have used a different product. (no intention of dissing a product, just one of those things that happens, and it can help me decide if a product is good for me or needs a new home).

Sir Eric, try, just once, to use, after the shower, a preshave glycerin soap, or oil, just before your shave.
Either one will further hydrate the whiskers and leave a slick film over the face.
With that, the shave soap performance is much enhanced.
For me, variances in shave soap performance are much less an issue with good beard prep.

art of shaving eucalyptus omega boker glyce july 13 2016.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Great shaves come from experience.

Experience comes from not getting great shaves.

There's no good shaves without bad ones.

I hear ya and I understand. There are days when I go through my routine and when I am finished shaving I wish I could start over...maybe use a different soap, or a straight razor instead of a DE or SE, or change up my pre-shave prep...or maybe use a AS instead of an ASB. Not that there was anything wrong with the shave...I just wish I could do it over again. I usually console myself by knowing I can do it all over again the next morning.
This, exactly!

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

I shave twice to obtain a great clean face. There is no reason except for time that you couldn't do the same if you wanted.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can agree with you. I have had similar experiences in the past. You still have a good shave but something is just not right. Today may have been the soap, next time it may be the blade. And as mentioned, there is always tomorrow.

I can agree with you. I have had similar experiences in the past. You still have a good shave but something is just not right. Today may have been the soap, next time it may be the blade. And as mentioned, there is always tomorrow.
Precisely my point! Still a decent shave, just not as great as the earlier ones that week.

Top Bottom