What's new

I Survived My First Shave But . . .

I survived! Gosh, I was really nervous. I've only used cartridges and bought a "Utopia Care" shavette which came with Derby Platinum blades. I almost wished I'd got a DE instead, but it was kind of fun. I ended up with 3 cuts. The first was on my lip near my nostril and was more of a slice, but it wasn't too bad. The second two were from my own stupidity. I felt fairly comfortable and decided to cruise along. They're no worse than a nick from a cartridge, so overall I'm content.

The good:

It was not nearly as nerve-wracking as I anticipated. It seemed straightforward enough and I could actually shave my cheeks pretty quickly for a first shave. I forgot to time it, but I'd guess around 20 minutes. A lot of that time was spent fiddling with the lather.

I think I got a pretty close shave. This seems strange, but I will post photos in case anyone is interested.

Left cheek. WTG 1 pass and finished with Fusion Across TG (XTG?).
proxy.php

This is with the shavette only. With, Across, and Against. My face is not as irritated and red as the photo looks.
proxy.php

I love the feeling of warm lather. I've never had a barber's shave before and it felt great.

The bad:

My lip is going to be really tricky. I've got a valley between my nostrils so I'm going to have to figure out a better way to shave this area. That's where my "bad" nick was.

The VDH (premium) was terrible. While I was shaving it felt like glue. I tried it previously with a cartridge and it seemed decent enough. I thought maybe I was riding the blade guard too much, so I increased the angle. This seemed to give less "stick", but not by much. I had precisely no nicks until I increased the angle. I decided to give up after shaving my entire face once and switch to my Fusion, but finished my right cheek for a comparison. Strangely, the Gillette stuff felt gummy (but less so) too. I had lathered with VDH twice and my skin felt skid like (like bar soap makes you feel). Will have to figure out that one.

I've decided I need $cented soap in my life.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Steve; Welcome to B&B! Go to YouTube and watch the beginner tutorial for straight razor shaving by Lynn Abrams. It's truly excellent and a "must see"; It helped me for my second shave. I should have watched it before my first!

Hello and welcome, Steve. Great to have you here. B&B is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here!

Looks like you are off to a fine start.

The shaves only get better and better.

A DE man myself. My first razor was a DE- back in the day. (age 16) It was a hand me down from my dad. (he apparently had two)

I came back to DE's 40 years later at age 56 - the cartridge part of my life was probably 30-35 years I would guess. (don't recall exactly when I went to cartridges)

I didn't get a brush until this past September. (been back to the DE since March)

Regardless - Welcome to B & B Steve!!

Now, let's get inky!!

Thanks all.

A DE man myself. My first razor was a DE- back in the day. (age 16) It was a hand me down from my dad. (he apparently had two)

I came back to DE's 40 years later at age 56 - the cartridge part of my life was probably 30-35 years I would guess. (don't recall exactly when I went to cartridges)

I didn't get a brush until this past September. (been back to the DE since March)

Regardless - Welcome to B & B Steve!!

Now, let's get inky!!

I instantly knew I was in trouble after finding an ink forum here. Luckily I don't smoke or else I'd be in even more trouble. This place has it all!

Congratulations, Steve! I've been on the fence about getting a shavette, but after looking at your photos I'm going to do it.

Cool, Ken! I was pretty happy with how close the right side of my face was. It was much closer than a cartridge and I sure as heck don't have any technique whatsoever.

Top Bottom